Welcome to American Weather
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pasnownut

Central Pa - March Monster 2017

621 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, pawatch said:

3" of snow overnight. That makes about 30" of snow in the last 8 -9 days. Almost a whole seasons worth in a week.

Nut you could back off just a little with the snow. 

WOW.  If i had those powers buddy, it'd be in my back yard as well.

Nut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Guys...here's my final update from last night's event:

Yesterday morning I recorded 0.06" of rain, which I left inside my clearvue as the snow began last evening (okay, I was a tad lazy).  This morning I had 1.4" of snow on the board, but it had to have compacted considerably during the night.  I say that because when I melted down the snow this morning I recorded 0.39" of liquid.  Subtract off the 0.06" of rain and that gave me 0.33" of liquid for the snow event in total.  I find it hard to believe that the snowfall ratio was 2.3 : 1. ...lol...so my best guess is that around 2.5" of snow actually fell, with a wet snow ratio of approximately 7.5 : 1.

For those who got a decent amount of snow last night I'd like to know what your water equivalents were and if they were around my estimated ratio?

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Hi Guys...here's my final update from last night's event:

Yesterday morning I recorded 0.06" of rain, which I left inside my clearvue as the snow began last evening (okay, I was a tad lazy).  This morning I had 1.4" of snow on the board, but it had to have compacted considerably during the night.  I say that because when I melted down the snow this morning I recorded 0.39" of liquid.  Subtract off the 0.06" of rain and that gave me 0.33" of liquid for the snow event in total.  I find it hard to believe that the snowfall ratio was 2.3 : 1. ...lol...so my best guess is that around 2.5" of snow actually fell, with a wet snow ratio of approximately 7.5 : 1.

For those who got a decent amount of snow last night I'd like to know what your water equivalents were and if they were around my estimated ratio?

Thanks!

0.38" qpf with 1.0" of snow.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rickg2 said:

Anyone see anything like this? one of my Cow-orkers sent this.

 

That particular map was generated off of Saturday's 12z European run, which had a major snowstorm. And that tweet was put out early Saturday evening. Typical social media post of a single model map that I'm sure has gotten the rounds from being shared. There was nothing else at the time that had that solution and currently no guidance has anything close to that.

After bit of a shot of colder air mid-late week this week, we look to be finally starting to moderate temps back to where it should be for the late March into early April timeframe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

That particular map was generated off of Saturday's 12z European run, which had a major snowstorm. And that tweet was put out early Saturday evening. Typical social media post of a single model map that I'm sure has gotten the rounds from being shared. There was nothing else at the time that had that solution and currently no guidance has anything close to that.

After bit of a shot of colder air mid-late week this week, we look to be finally starting to moderate temps back to where it should be for the late March into early April timeframe. 

Thanks!, I don;t think we could handle another snowstorm...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I just looked at the 12z GFS and spring is about to really get going after the brief cooldown coming up.  

My eyes are sleepy and my belly full....and I found me a nice cool cave to chill in, so I'm going off the grid for my summer slumber.  I've "wasted" a lot of life tracking digital snow this year and continue to learn lots.  At least that part was definately a positive takeaway. 

Millville, I'll get my info to you in the event of a GTG, as it'd be good to throw one back an reminisce of the good old days when we had "real winters", and not these one storm wonders.....but I'm happy for the folks that we thought would get some winter, as true central seemed to eek out a few decent events.  

But hey at least I got to start a thread that brought one home for those that enjoy snow.  Gotta get back to work now, cause I was desperate, and cashed everything i had in for that one, and now must pay the toll.  

I'm already anxious to come back in the fall as the leaves start to turn and fuzzy pictures start to emerge of Winter 2017-18, and the talk of the first flakes flyin start to be had.  

In the interim...enjoy the warm season (I'll find ways to as well...dont worry), but whenever its above 85 w/ high dews.....wish me well.  

C ya'll in da fall.

Nut

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pasnownut said:

Well, I just looked at the 12z GFS and spring is about to really get going after the brief cooldown coming up.  

My eyes are sleepy and my belly full....and I found me a nice cool cave to chill in, so I'm going off the grid for my summer slumber.  I've "wasted" a lot of life tracking digital snow this year and continue to learn lots.  At least that part was definately a positive takeaway. 

Millville, I'll get my info to you in the event of a GTG, as it'd be good to throw one back an reminisce of the good old days when we had "real winters", and not these one storm wonders.....but I'm happy for the folks that we thought would get some winter, as true central seemed to eek out a few decent events.  

But hey at least I got to start a thread that brought one home for those that enjoy snow.  Gotta get back to work now, cause I was desperate, and cashed everything i had in for that one, and now must pay the toll.  

I'm already anxious to come back in the fall as the leaves start to turn and fuzzy pictures start to emerge of Winter 2017-18, and the talk of the first flakes flyin start to be had.  

In the interim...enjoy the warm season (I'll find ways to as well...dont worry), but whenever its above 85 w/ high dews.....wish me well.  

C ya'll in da fall.

Nut

 

 

 

Party at your cabin if late season storm pops up !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was in Bethany Beach, DE on Labor Day weekend in 2015. On Monday, Labor Day itself, the day began with thousands of people on the beach, boards, and walking around town. By 6:00pm that evening, it had become a ghost town. As someone who has spent at least some time all 51 years of my life at the Delaware shore...it was sad ending to a great summer.

That's what has happened in here. Just a little over a week ago, this forum was hopping. We waited all winter hoping for a big storm, it finally came, and with the end of the storm essentially came the end of winter. And just like thousands of beach goers disappeared that Labor Day until the following summer, so too do most of us hibernate from this special place until sometime later this coming fall. 

As always, thank you all for the banter and the entertainment. And thank you red taggers for being 2nd to none. MAG, Millville, HeavyWx, Allweather, Jminster...you are all terrific and add so much to our special little thread. You are all so appreciated! 

Here's to many more great discussions ahead, and hopefully we can reconvene this summer on City Island! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With our one winter month drawing to a close I decided to check on the monthly departure stats.

Through today, 3/23, the monthly departure at MDT is -3.0 degrees F.  Based on how the forecast temps look for the final week of this month I would guess we are going to cut that departure in half.  So I predict a roughly -1.5 degrees departure for Mar'17.  I thought it would be interesting to go back through the months to find the last time we had a below normal month.  Astonishingly, it was 10 months ago in May of 2016 with a whopping -0.2 degrees below normal.  Every month since last May has been above normal by close to 2.0 degrees or more.  Several months were more than 5 degrees above average, including August 2016, January 2017 and of course February 2017.  January's mean temp of 35.8 degrees almost matched the same mean for December 2016.  Finally, I never saw anyone mention the stats for February in which it was the warmest February on record at MDT with records going back to 1888.  The mean for Feb was 41.3 degrees which was 8.4 degrees above average.  That temperature exceeded the previous warmest February (1998) by almost 1 whole degree.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, sauss06 said:

i was at some softball games at Millersville on Saturday and didn't realize until i went to Jacks i got to much sun. Woke up Sunday and it was about 30 degrees differen and i was chilly 

It was sneaky warm Saturday. We were helping a friend do some yard work and I was drenched in sweat before I realized it.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright everyone. I think the time has come to give up the ghost on the winter season as long range prospects are looking frail at any attempt at wintery precip sans some higher elevations in N PA possibly in the future. As we draw to a close, it's always fun to talk to you all and get to know one another over time, as well as talking and geeking out about something like Winter Weather. Before we call it a season and sign off completely into the doldrums of summer, I've engaged the idea of having a get together this spring/summer to meet and greet each other, tell stories and have a great time while putting faces to names (Although some of you have already done so). The prospects of a meet up can occur in a wide variety of places and weekends will be the likely time frame of a get together due to work. I know I would need to know in advance due to my shift work and working weekends fairly often, so would like to get the talk started earlier. As of now, I have the contact info of one person from the sub forum sent to me via PM. I will gladly take the role in the organizer and run ideas by anyone willing to host or someone who may have connections to a spot to meet up, or just have a good idea of where to hold an event. I'm open to anything. 

If you are interested, send me a PM with email/cell or any good means of contact for the off season and we can get something planned out over the coming weeks/month. I know BBQ has come up in the discussion as well as a baseball game and I'm down with any of those ideas. I know I will likely have to travel the farthest for any event, but I will travel anywhere and have connections with people in the entire state I could stay at overnight one night if need be. I look forward to hearing for many of you and really want to meet everyone in person. There's nothing like a bunch of weather nuts in the same place. Only downside is, it will probably rain whenever we have it because we are weather people and that's just how it works lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.