• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central Pa - March Monster 2017

3 hours ago, canderson said:

So what's the expected life expectancy of this snowpack? Lots of rain Friday, then pushing into the 50s early next week. Is it basically gone by, say, Tuesday? 

Probably a dent in it by that point but I don't think it'll be gone. That Friday night/Sat system isn't necessarily a clear cut thing attm. Not really a snowpack eliminating amount of QPF with it and it may not even be all rain either. Northern stream system with the low progged to go north of PA but given the impressive cold air mass that it needs to boot out and the fact that this system appears to be coming through generally on Friday night, there could instead be a period of warm advection snow that may transition to rain or ice. The thing for the Sus Valley with the low progged to the north is that the usual downsloping business may minimize precip. 18z NAM didn't have much precip but here was 18z GFS hr 54-66.

gfs_rapid---conus-54-C-mslpthkpcptypek2_white.thumb.png.6d0a516413c6038ec59c1986609112ee.png

gfs_rapid---conus-60-C-mslpthkpcptypek2_white.thumb.png.b0d95cdfd880b75dffafac3c282ab155.png

gfs_rapid---conus-66-C-mslpthkpcptypek2_white.thumb.png.0660bbbf88873845d997ad73868f16ef.png

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lake effect snows have left about another 3inches today giving me more snow this week than I had in the last 2years. Most schools have closed again and road crews are drinking large amounts of monster energy drinks. My road is barely one lane wide and I have seen Facebook posts were no plows have touched some of the streets. One of the city managers posted that the main streets, hospitals and other critical streets would be done first and all alleys and minor streets would be done by the weekend.

Nice to see the NAM sniffing out a little more white gold for us this weekend.  Its been trending a little better over the last day.

Pack refresher (for those of us that got jipped a bit (mind you as modelled, I'm likely not to see much), but this is my 2 week winter....so I'm going to make the best of it.

Nut

Nice to see the NAM sniffing out a little more white gold for us this weekend.  Its been trending a little better over the last day.

Pack refresher (for those of us that got jipped a bit (mind you as modelled, I'm likely not to see much), but this is my 2 week winter....so I'm going to make the best of it.

Nut

If only this was January. This pack would stick around for a crazy long time. As soon as this thaws, I want to start discussing a meet up :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

If only this was January. This pack would stick around for a crazy long time. As soon as this thaws, I want to start discussing a meet up :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds good man. Whatchu think bout this weekend?  I see it ticking south and under us at 500 as we are still "under the influence of Stella". Get it.....Stella beer ??  I don't make this stuff up ya know. Lol. 

I see it a light at best (mood flakes if flakes) although WAA begs to turn em to cat paws down here. Couple more ticks and I'd be giddy. Bonfire in the snow Saturday night is our plan. Sittin on snowmobiles for chairs.  And maybe remnants of Stella keeping our Stella's cold. ;)

And yes to the GTG. I will pm you my contact info cause you know I go off the grid soon. :) 

Nut

1 hour ago, pasnownut said:

Sounds good man. Whatchu think bout this weekend?  I see it ticking south and under us at 500 as we are still "under the influence of Stella". Get it.....Stella beer ??  I don't make this stuff up ya know. Lol. 

I see it a light at best (mood flakes if flakes) although WAA begs to turn em to cat paws down here. Couple more ticks and I'd be giddy. Bonfire in the snow Saturday night is our plan. Sittin on snowmobiles for chairs.  And maybe remnants of Stella keeping our Stella's cold. ;)

And yes to the GTG. I will pm you my contact info cause you know I go off the grid soon. :) 

Nut

Ugh. This is so hard for me. My inner snow weenism is being challenged by my desire to watch high school baseball. My son's non-league games are being postponed daily it seems (they were scheduled to play Ship today) and I'm anxious to get outside and enjoy the game I love. 

If we can get a quick-hitting 6" storm on a Friday night that is gone completely with a dry field by Monday, sign me up! 

10 hours ago, Rickg2 said:

The lake effect snows have left about another 3inches today giving me more snow this week than I had in the last 2years. Most schools have closed again and road crews are drinking large amounts of monster energy drinks. My road is barely one lane wide and I have seen Facebook posts were no plows have touched some of the streets. One of the city managers posted that the main streets, hospitals and other critical streets would be done first and all alleys and minor streets would be done by the weekend.

This was one heck of a storm, and put an exclamation point on the return of a decent winter storm wise for northeast PA into upstate New York after missing out on so many of the really big ones in recent years. Caught this out of the BGM discussion yesterday afternoon.

Lake enhanced snow showers continue across central NY and northeast PA this afternoon. These showers continue to develop within the wrap around moisture from the sfc low that is now located over northern Maine. What an impressive storm this has been. As of 800 AM EDT we had 31.9 of snow, and as of 2PM CDT we had 33.2 inches, and the snow has kept on for most if not all of the afternoon. We have broken the 24 hour record snowfall (previous 23 inches set in 1961). We may beat our all time seasonal record which is 131.3 set in 1993-94 season. As of 2 PM we are 129.6 inches. We have a couple of systems coming this week, so we could break it this week or we will be very close. Our highest report so far has been 48.4 in Hartwick, NY by CoCoRaHs.

So despite the amount of hostility we had this winter with the pattern and the warmest Feb on record, BGM is on the cusp of beating (and probably will end up beating before the month is out) their all time snowfall set in 93-94. That's crazy... along with getting 33.2" in one storm. 

7 hours ago, pasnownut said:

Nut

I think there will be some conversational flakes in the air, especially Saturday night into Sunday. The perfect time to enjoy a Stella ;)

And this is to you or whoever would be interested in a get together, feel free to PM me contact details (Phone and email) whenever and we can talk about what to plan. I'd love a gathering at a baseball game as Canderson suggested, or if someone has a nice backyard and BBQ area, we could go all out there as well. I'm out on that deal since I have no yard, but I will gladly drive all the way to wherever to meet up with everyone. It would be a blast!!

For those that did not mix or change over during this week's storm, what are some of your current snow pack depths? I had just over 12" on the ground Wednesday morning. As of 7:00pm this evening, my current depth is ranging from 5"-8" and dropping slowly. 

I was just curious if any you were losing snow at a faster rate than those of us who had an icy mix built into their snow pack. 

52 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

For those that did not mix or change over during this week's storm, what are some of your current snow pack depths? I had just over 12" on the ground Wednesday morning. As of 7:00pm this evening, my current depth is ranging from 5"-8" and dropping slowly. 

I was just curious if any you were losing snow at a faster rate than those of us who had an icy mix built into their snow pack. 

Been melting super fast here. From 9" down to about 1-3". Hopefully tonight will freshen things up :)

1 hour ago, maytownpawx said:

Going quickly. About down to I'd guess 8-10". Had 19" Wednesday am. 

Its melting as as we speak. I hear dripping.

Tonight's 0Z NAM (12K) run keeps 850 below zero for the entire upcoming event for the first time.  Have no idea if that translates into all the precip being snow, but interesting nonetheless.  Between 0.10" and 0.25" forum-wide.  Looks like the better shot of accumulations comes with a second impulse that comes through tomorrow evening.

Temp down to 35.4 degrees.

7 hours ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Tonight's 0Z NAM (12K) run keeps 850 below zero for the entire upcoming event for the first time.  Have no idea if that translates into all the precip being snow, but interesting nonetheless.  Between 0.10" and 0.25" forum-wide.  Looks like the better shot of accumulations comes with a second impulse that comes through tomorrow evening.

Temp down to 35.4 degrees.

Have to watch it close. Inverted troughs are surprise-makers ALL. THE. TIME. 4k NAM/HRRR are really robust with precip painting an area from the I-99 corridor to the Susquehanna River with several inches of snow from late this evening and through the overnight. These inverted troughs can get convective and we may see some surprises...Perhaps our buddy @Cashtown_Coop cashes in with elevation and being in the right spot. 

14 hours ago, maytownpawx said:

Not being home for the monster storm, I don't know what we officially had in Tamaqua. I put up an unofficial snow stake in the yard so my wife could let me know what we got. She said that around 5pm on Tuesday, it was reading 17 inches. Looking at the piles around town when I got home yesterday, I believe that number to possibly be too low. Especially considering that Hazleton and McAdoo (12 and 10 miles north of me respectively) had both received 27 inches. I'm assuming that compaction and wind may have lowered the number my wife recorded. By how much, I'll never really know. When I got home yesterday afternoon, there was still about 10 inches in the yard per that snow stake.

Archived