Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central Pa - March Monster 2017

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Ugh. Been watching Pit radar with the more sensitive radarscope radar and it looks like some additional snow is building in western PA with snow also moving in from Ohio. I think you'll eventually make up a little ground with the lingering snow and lake enhancement late today/tonight. 

And yea wmsptwx is looking pretty good right now as IPT is sitting in some of the best banding. I'm beginning to think they see 20 or so. CTP did up them to 18-24". We just ended up with a heck of a gradient where even though the low ended up west and mixing some of our southern tier, the snow really tapered in the NW zones. 

I woke up to about 4", I need to get some popcorn, the bitching is going to be glorious with all the closings for 4":lol:

Just now, Superstorm said:

Visibilities finally starting to fall her in Western sections of Lancaster so it should be changing back over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yep, i can literally see the transition in the clouds. white to grey and snow is really starting to mix in now.  Thank goodness.

Nut

Hope everyone is enjoying. I wish I could have made it back to PA for this one...it will be 70° here in Denver today. My sister in Harrisburg reports 13-15". Looks like my parents in Lebanon County are in line for some heavy stuff for a few more hours as well.

7 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

yep, i can literally see the transition in the clouds. white to grey and snow is really starting to mix in now.  Thank goodness.

Nut

Confirmed.  Changeover finally happening.  What's your best guess on how much more we get?

Just now, Festus said:

Confirmed.  Changeover finally happening.  What's your best guess on how much more we get?

still back n forth w/ transiton here.  warm layer upstairs is hangin tough.  ughh

I think we can still get 1-2" on top of what we have....maybe 3 if you get into a good band. 

HRRR has been rushing the transition back, so I"m a little leary.  Backbuilding may help.

Nut

31 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Tight gradient. How are you doing in Bellwood? Friends/family all reporting nearly a foot in SE Huntingdon county. 

Just measured 6.2" about 15 min ago. Not crazy but still a pretty good storm. The snow was pretty light most of the last hour. Radar now looking a good bit more solid in western PA into Ohio, but we'll see how the rates do as we get towards the afternoon hours. It is def plenty cold. 

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the western zones late afternoon into the evening hours as the coastal lifts and the flow turns more northwesterly to pick up the lakes. Could see some areas of decent bands oriented from the lakes. Like I mentioned the other day, they have little to no ice on them and the cold air being pulled down is very impressive for March (nearly -20ºC at 850mb getting into PA by later tonight into tomorrow). 

Snowfall rates dropped off dramatically during the past hour as I only picked up an additional 0.5" of snow between 9:00 and 10:00AM to give me a storm total of 14.9".

NWS radar looks like heavy stuff is shrinking in coverage down here while continuing heavy up northwards.  Am definitely curious to see what any banding does over the remainder of the day.  Temp has risen a bit with the snowfall intensity drop off, now at 28.4 degrees. 

I'd say unless the banding sets up over me that 20" is not going to happen.  Still shooting for my 17.5" which may still be doable with just another 2.5" needed.

4 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Snowfall rates dropped off dramatically during the past hour as I only picked up an additional 0.5" of snow between 9:00 and 10:00AM to give me a storm total of 14.9".

NWS radar looks like heavy stuff is shrinking in coverage down here while continuing heavy up northwards.  Am definitely curious to see what any banding does over the remainder of the day.  Temp has risen a bit with the snowfall intensity drop off, now at 28.4 degrees. 

I'd say unless the banding sets up over me that 20" is not going to happen.  Still shooting for my 17.5" which may still be doable with just another 2.5" needed.

Radar out of Sterling makes it appear heavy stuff is building back in from the South East.  Not sure how far west it gets but about up to Harrisburg.  

1 hour ago, MAG5035 said:

830 obs, 25ºF and moderate snow. Winds are starting to pick up. We're now at the 6" mark so if anything at least warning criteria has been achieved. Best snow bands seem to be residing State College to IPT and southeast to Harrisburg. 

18" not official measurement but a measurement off the board in my backyard. Was never cleaned off. Expect last night before the storm.

22 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

Radar out of Sterling makes it appear heavy stuff is building back in from the South East.  Not sure how far west it gets but about up to Harrisburg.  

Hi Bubbler!!  Nice to hear from you.  Saw your posts yesterday.  It's looking great up here, again.  Who would have thought after the warmest February on record that we would end up with this big storm?  That's what keeps us weenies going is the fascination with the extremes in weather and how quickly they can come together.

>>Still down in FL??  If so, where?  Can't remember.

I feel very fortunate. I held on to all snow until 5:30am, then went back and forth mixed with sleet until 7am. Had about 1 hour of pretty much all sleet and then it's been all snow here since. 3 different measurements yielded an average of 12.5". Looking around other forums, MU's weather center, and other sites...I did really, really well here. 

Archived