Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central Pa - March Monster 2017

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, canderson said:

That's depressing sleet moved as far NW as Manheim. Hope it gets pushed back south soon. 

Equally sad Clearfield isn't getting the returns. 

Nope but was expecting it as we were dropped to WWA ((4"-6"))

The back edge is right on my doorstep.

The 500 mb low is just a smidge too far north and west relative to the surface development to deliver a statewide major event.  Nonetheless, a formidable system to be sure.  Both the ECMWF and GFS are in remarkably good agreement on the closed low location later this evening and overnight.  Have not had any sleet here in northern York County.

5 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Just measured 1.2" new snow since 8:00 AM in the past 30 minutes.  That gives me 13.7" storm total so far.  Snowing at 2.5" / hour.  Temp dropped to 28.2 degrees (down 0.8 deg in the past 30 minutes) as colder air seems to be filtering back in.  Looks amazing!

You might be the jackpot!    My next 6hr board clear is at 9am so I'll update.  I'm getting close to the foot mark.

6 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Just measured 1.2" new snow since 8:00 AM in the past 30 minutes.  That gives me 13.7" storm total so far.  Snowing at 2.5" / hour.  Temp dropped to 28.2 degrees (down 0.8 deg in the past 30 minutes) as colder air seems to be filtering back in.  Looks amazing!

I'm starting to think we'll crack 20"

14 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Band setup pretty much centered on I-83 / I-81 axis like what was talked about in CTP AFD a few hours ago. If it can stay around till noon we'll crack 20"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That was a great call. I hope MDT delivers a good & accurate measurement. They have been reporting Heavy snow every hour with .25 to .5 mile visibility.

The 11z HRRR had MDT getting another 1 inch of QPF by this afternoon.

I do think Cumberland/Dauphin can reach 20".

For those who mixed...I'm sorry!  I've been there so many times before.  24 years ago during the Superstorm I got exactly this much snow (13") before it switched to a raging sleet storm for many hours.  You guys out here never mixed with that storm.  So, I know what it's like.

2 minutes ago, 2001kx said:

2.6" with very light snow

Ugh. Been watching Pit radar with the more sensitive radarscope radar and it looks like some additional snow is building in western PA with snow also moving in from Ohio. I think you'll eventually make up a little ground with the lingering snow and lake enhancement late today/tonight. 

And yea wmsptwx is looking pretty good right now as IPT is sitting in some of the best banding. I'm beginning to think they see 20 or so. CTP did up them to 18-24". We just ended up with a heck of a gradient where even though the low ended up west and mixing some of our southern tier, the snow really tapered in the NW zones. 

1 minute ago, MAG5035 said:

Ugh. Been watching Pit radar with the more sensitive radarscope radar and it looks like some additional snow is building in western PA with snow also moving in from Ohio. I think you'll eventually make up a little ground with the lingering snow and lake enhancement late today/tonight. 

And yea wmsptwx is looking pretty good right now as IPT is sitting in some of the best banding. I'm beginning to think they see 20 or so. CTP did up them to 18-24". We just ended up with a heck of a gradient where even though the low ended up west and mixing some of our southern tier, the snow really tapered in the NW zones. 

Yeah we'll see what happens but really thought we had a shot 48 hrs ago.

Oh well we wait for the next one :)

7 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Tight gradient. How are you doing in Bellwood? Friends/family all reporting nearly a foot in SE Huntingdon county. 

Just took my 9:00 AM measurement and measured 1.9" of new snow since 8:00AM, storm total now at 14.4".  Rate has decreased slightly from about 20 minutes ago, I'd say down to around 1.5"/hour rate.  We'll see where things stand at 10.

Temp down another 0.4 degrees to 27.6 degrees.  Snow definitely dry and not too hard to shovel.  Some minor blowing snow beginning to occur here as well.

Archived