SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central Pa - March Monster 2017

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, var126 said:

Out pitching my tent by the river in Lewisburg.  Gonna tank up and sleep out with two big warm dogs.  If there's thundersnow, I intend to hear it.

Thats an awesome way to do it.  Used to winter tent camp and as long as you have the right gear its a great time.(we sorta did)

Enjoy and be safe.  Let us know how its going.

Nut

I was looking at latest HRRR run, it was funny how an 50 inch area showed up in the Lancaster County/York County county line area. Eastern PA is gonna get nailed big time, while back where i am at near Pittsburgh gets near nothing probably, just an classic dynamic blizzard

10 minutes ago, Jmister said:

Definitely surprised they closed PSU main campus. I would have thought they'd wait until early morning to make that call. This should be no worse than a run-of-the-mill snowstorm here.

Anywho, 29/8 here and a while to go until the first flakes.

Agreed, I figured they would close regardless but didn't think they'd decide tonight. They've messed up badly a few times this year so I'm not surprised they decided to play it safe.

And yeah, the HRRR and RAP have cut back totals greatly W of 81. AOO-UNV is the boundary for warning criteria snowfall and the Pittsburgh area gets screwed by the dry slot and gets almost nothing.

14 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Yes indeed! Whoever gets under that death band that pivots around toward the end of the run will hit the jackpot with this storm.

That is the key where the death band setups and rotates. Models have been somewhat all over the place some west of MDT to others East. Love these types of storms.

Finally have a light dusting from actual snowflakes with a temp now of 31.3 degrees...after over an hour and a light coating of pure snow grains that got the ball rolling.

Good luck to all.  For this storm I am shooting for half of what I had last January (35"), so 17.5", which seems quite doable based off the latest runs.

7 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Finally have a light dusting from actual snowflakes with a temp now of 31.3 degrees...after over an hour and a light coating of pure snow grains that got the ball rolling.

Good luck to all.  For this storm I am shooting for half of what I had last January (35"), so 17.5", which seems quite doable based off the latest runs.

If I get 14" I'll consider this a massive success (I'm happy with anything I should say, I think 14" is my max, time will tell).

0z NAM total QPF through 27hr for posterity. Looks like it brought it's heavy precip back west a bit. It gets the 1" line back to UNV and AOO again. Holy gradient between here and Pittsburgh though. Every one else east and northeast is leveled.. geesh. 

nam_rapid-null--usne-27-C-totalqpf_white.thumb.png.e227b28c4b0c2ef4ebbdfc8b68653431.png

4 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

My goal for the storm at MDT is for 18.5 inches which would top one of the Feb 2010 storms & make this current storm a top 10 all time event.

It would also then put MDT near 25 inches for the season. That would put us within 6 inches of hitting climo average snow for the season with a few weeks to go.

Archived