SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Blizzard of the Ides, 2017 ...observation time

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may be a single day record for the COOP in their 4pm to 4pm measuring time.

Stake depth has increased 39" with this storm. 

National Weather Service Burlington VT
537 PM EDT WED MAR 15 2017

Station            Precip   Temperature   Present         Snow
                   24 Hrs   Max Min Cur   Weather     New Total SWE
...Vermont...
Mount Mansfield     1.15    15   1   5   Cloudy      28.0 106

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

This may be a single day record for the COOP in their 4pm to 4pm measuring time.

Stake depth has increased 39" with this storm. 

National Weather Service Burlington VT
537 PM EDT WED MAR 15 2017

Station            Precip   Temperature   Present         Snow
                   24 Hrs   Max Min Cur   Weather     New Total SWE
...Vermont...
Mount Mansfield     1.15    15   1   5   Cloudy      28.0 106

How much did they catch in their can?

3 minutes ago, mreaves said:

How much did they catch in their can?

Apparently that much.  That's what I mean, I don't think I've ever seen a number that high from them.  Even Valentines Day 2007 was 24.0" but that was massive under-catch in that one.

The depth rise by 39" in the past couple days is nuts.  That's now the peak depth for the season and we just recovered everything we lost in that 3-week torch, lol.

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. Probably should never doubt the nam dgex srefs combo ever again lol.

Ha. I'm surprised how well that stacked if there was that much wind. You'll never see that around my hood. If I measured 30", it would probably be 45" with no wind. :lol: 

Just spoke with the NWS and they confirmed that 28.0" is the new 24-hour all-time record for the COOP.

Now, remember the COOP because of its location *only* reports between 4pm and 4pm.  So there obviously could have been other 24 hour periods with more snow (like say 5am to 5am or whatever) but this one was timed perfectly and is now #1.

Just now, mreaves said:

Holy crap! Underhill reporting 40". I wonder if that was one of the NWS employees?  WCAX just had the official NWS measuring employee on showing how they measure. Looked like any old weenie jabbing a yard stick in the ground. 

I believe it.  With upslope tonight some places will be near or over 4 feet. 

Bolton Valley was up to 45" this afternoon above 2,400ft. 

With the blocked flow, the heavy snow is reaching straight to the valley floor on the west side while here on the East side its more higher elevation (ie, 3,000ft on the East Side is getting the same snowfall as say 1,000ft or lower on the west side).

Just spoke with the NWS and they confirmed that 28.0" is the new 24-hour all-time record for the COOP.

Now, remember the COOP because of its location *only* reports between 4pm and 4pm.  So there obviously could have been other 24 hour periods with more snow (like say 5am to 5am or whatever) but this one was timed perfectly and is now #1.

I have a free stowe ticket. I am coming up Friday. This really is amazing. To put this in perspective this one storm nearly matched our entire 2015-2016 season in one shot.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

New Fairfield report is bogus, I can throw a stone into their windows from my place. Southington too. Middletown lol. Bad job with this map. 

No longer live there, but my parents in northern New Fairfield/Sherman town line at elevation had much more than 13-14".  They tainted much later than Danbury, you could see that on dual pol radar.

6 minutes ago, JKEisMan said:

No longer live there, but my parents in northern New Fairfield/Sherman town line at elevation had much more than 13-14".  They tainted much later than Danbury, you could see that on dual pol radar.

Im on the nw side of town up by the new ffd line. Up by Sherman, yea thats another level but you cant assume this report was from up there and at 1k elevation to boot.

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Im on the nw side of town up by the new ffd line. Up by Sherman, yea thats another level but you cant assume this report was from up there at 1k elevation. 

Point taken. The gradient in that area can be pretty dramatic. Anyway, long time lurker, first time poster.  Really enjoy the analysis and discussion on this board.

Just now, dryslot said:

I guess the east tics never materialized

I still can't believe it.  I guess it had to happen sometime.  After like 5 years worth of storms we finally got one that hugged the coastline and DIDN'T pull a Messenger east drift in the final 36 hours.

Probably like a 1 in 10 chance of it happening...and we hit it.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

I still can't believe it.  I guess it had to happen sometime.  After like 5 years worth of storms we finally got one that hugged the coastline and DIDN'T pull a Messenger east drift in the final 36 hours.

That's awesome, Probably overall, One of the best storms i have seen in a long time wither area that this one covered

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

And you can thank that guy you hate NAO who actually pulled this back west over Maine increasing your upslope numbers 

Archived