Newest Member
    Dano62
The Blizzard of the Ides, 2017 ...observation time

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, eyewall said:

30 inches here in Winooski. My first 30" event. Largest snowstorm I have ever witnessed

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

That's excellent to hear that it can happen there!  I thought my 33.6" in the January blizzard last year here in Clarksburg (central Maryland) was going to be the last 30"+ event of my life where I live.  I just bought a house 16mi south of you in Charlotte, VT.

Very impressive high impact storm all around for the most part. Driving around this morning it looks like 20" fell. 10-16" of high water content snow does that. 

And of course, huge coverage of big snows all the way into central NY and even southern Canada. 

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Great storm, but that's pretty suspect IMO.  I'm like 10 miles away and nowhere close to that total.

edit--- I will say I didn't wipe a snow board every 6 hours and the snow is wind packed. 

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Very impressive high impact storm all around for the most part. Driving around this morning it looks like 20" fell. 10-16" of high water content snow does that. 

Indeed. Even on the southern fringe where we busted with sleet, the impact was similar to a 12-15" storm. These pics are with 0.6" of snow and 4" of sleet:

IMG_1122.thumb.JPG.a57ac79b9f59b9fcf22e40ec6b5c6f80.JPG

IMG_1125.thumb.JPG.ddb3081e8a433c60c9bc6b05997167f1.JPG

8 minutes ago, das said:

That's excellent to hear that it can happen there!  I thought my 33.6" in the January blizzard last year here in Clarksburg (central Maryland) was going to be the last 30"+ event of my life where I live.  I just bought a house 16mi south of you in Charlotte, VT.

You should have moved east if you want snow.  The CPV is not great for retention.

37 minutes ago, eyewall said:

30 inches here in Winooski. My first 30" event. Largest snowstorm I have ever witnessed

I think I'm going to call it here in BTV. Somewhere in the 27-30" range. Second largest sea-level storm I've seen. (Philly Blizzard of '96 still reigns supreme). 

I think I'm going to call it here in BTV. Somewhere in the 27-30" range. Second largest sea-level storm I've seen. (Philly Blizzard of '96 still reigns supreme). 

What did you get in 96?

1 hour ago, TheSnowman said:

I lasted until 2:15 with Snow and Sleet.  Rain Now.  Basically No Wind as is usual here.  

9.25"      55.5" Season    

I saw an e-mail on my phone that said I got a $200 Ticket for 11kph over on my 2 hour drive to Amsterdam's AMS Airport yesterday, upping my total to get here at $900.  The storm yesterday downed half of a small tree and a Major branch of an important pine tree.  NOTHING in the world depresses more than losing parts of trees; the love for the environment is the foundation for my love of snow.  The entire 2nd half of the day was shoveling gloppy snow in the WORST weather imaginable: Wind Driven Rain with Sleet included to be pelting you, at 34*.  Today has been the iciest and most Dangerous day I can remember, including the fact that Every chunk of snow has a chance to pierce the tires of the car, AND the chunks of ice in the wheel well took 30 minutes to get out while freezing my fingers off, and I probably damaged the body work as Carefully as I was doing it.  Wouldn't budge, just like Rocks.  There is also no snow on the trees, so it looks like Crap.  The snow piles of course in this type of snow, look like crap.  I'm probably going to rip my coat as well since Everything is a knife today.  That's what I came home for.  This stuff.  And not even the basic 12" storm.  NOT EVEN the February "tiny" storm; 4.25" Less than that.  

Fu*k Snow.  I'm done with it.  The indescribable love + tracking (the love itself started at birth) that started in 2002 and officially began with the 2002 Christmas storm where I was predicted at 16-24, went to bed with 4" of powder, to wake up to 4" of glop, can ONLY be matched in disappointment by this storm.  So it is fitting that this is the end of the road.  I'm moving to LA, and I will no longer care to ever come back for snow, nor care when I miss one.  Northern RI has been 75% disappointment, 20% whatever, 5% elation; matched by the fact that the only storm I jackpotted  since the Great Snow Era began in 1992 was not a storm but 2 quick small storms together in January 2010...... which I was in LA for.  February 7th, 2003 will always be my Favorite storm, as it was unarguably 4" per hour for 2 hours, and December 9th, where I can say I saw an actual lightning bolt hit the ground behind my house, will always be the best.  Some of you guys have my number and FB.  I've had some of my favorite times in life on here, and I wish you guys would have come to CN Mountain at some point.  Was always trying to set it up.  I always trusted you guys were the smartest in the business, and you have been.  Rarely ever wrong.  More right on this storm included than any Mets on TV and even the NWS.  I just can not spend the time on weather that I have been; it's way way too much considering I have 6 other hobbies from Motorsports to FreeSledding itself that take up enough time, and it's holding me back from fully moving to LA since the weather is ULTIMATE Anti-Cory weather.  Boring and Sunny.  So yes, for now - Snowman Out.  

This may very well be the post of the year.

Anyone on the outside looking in reading this may think Cory cracked...Pulling ice out of the treads of his tires, and moving due to him giving up on snow. True internet gold indeed my friend.

1 hour ago, TheSnowman said:

I lasted until 2:15 with Snow and Sleet.  Rain Now.  Basically No Wind as is usual here.  

9.25"      55.5" Season    

I saw an e-mail on my phone that said I got a $200 Ticket for 11kph over on my 2 hour drive to Amsterdam's AMS Airport yesterday, upping my total to get here at $900.  The storm yesterday downed half of a small tree and a Major branch of an important pine tree.  NOTHING in the world depresses more than losing parts of trees; the love for the environment is the foundation for my love of snow.  The entire 2nd half of the day was shoveling gloppy snow in the WORST weather imaginable: Wind Driven Rain with Sleet included to be pelting you, at 34*.  Today has been the iciest and most Dangerous day I can remember, including the fact that Every chunk of snow has a chance to pierce the tires of the car, AND the chunks of ice in the wheel well took 30 minutes to get out while freezing my fingers off, and I probably damaged the body work as Carefully as I was doing it.  Wouldn't budge, just like Rocks.  There is also no snow on the trees, so it looks like Crap.  The snow piles of course in this type of snow, look like crap.  I'm probably going to rip my coat as well since Everything is a knife today.  That's what I came home for.  This stuff.  And not even the basic 12" storm.  NOT EVEN the February "tiny" storm; 4.25" Less than that.  

Fu*k Snow.  I'm done with it.  The indescribable love + tracking (the love itself started at birth) that started in 2002 and officially began with the 2002 Christmas storm where I was predicted at 16-24, went to bed with 4" of powder, to wake up to 4" of glop, can ONLY be matched in disappointment by this storm.  So it is fitting that this is the end of the road.  I'm moving to LA, and I will no longer care to ever come back for snow, nor care when I miss one.  Northern RI has been 75% disappointment, 20% whatever, 5% elation; matched by the fact that the only storm I jackpotted  since the Great Snow Era began in 1992 was not a storm but 2 quick small storms together in January 2010...... which I was in LA for.  February 7th, 2003 will always be my Favorite storm, as it was unarguably 4" per hour for 2 hours, and December 9th, where I can say I saw an actual lightning bolt hit the ground behind my house, will always be the best.  Some of you guys have my number and FB.  I've had some of my favorite times in life on here, and I wish you guys would have come to CN Mountain at some point.  Was always trying to set it up.  I always trusted you guys were the smartest in the business, and you have been.  Rarely ever wrong.  More right on this storm included than any Mets on TV and even the NWS.  I just can not spend the time on weather that I have been; it's way way too much considering I have 6 other hobbies from Motorsports to FreeSledding itself that take up enough time, and it's holding me back from fully moving to LA since the weather is ULTIMATE Anti-Cory weather.  Boring and Sunny.  So yes, for now - Snowman Out.  

:cory::cliff:

For the great majority of us, aside from the folks in SE MA and RI, this was a good to awesome hit. 14" here in ORH fell well within the 12-18 range the NWS was predicting, if on the lower end. Winds were amazing, snowfall totals great and glacier heavy. Even the March sun will have to work on this and there may be more on the way. Looks like a serious arctic outbreak again next week. So, if you are a hardened winter lover like me, no complaints. 

12 minutes ago, mreaves said:

You should have moved east if you want snow.  The CPV is not great for retention.

I know.  I somehow found the snow hole of Vermont, this after I was intentional and successful in finding the snow jackpot in central Maryland (western MD mountains average 110").  Still, 86" average in Charlotte is better than a 38" average in Clarksburg.  Other factors (than snow) made the south Burlington area the choice.

30 minutes ago, eyewall said:

What did you get in 96?

I got 37" measured with a yard stick in a yard. I suspect there was some wind loading. as the average around my area was 33".  PHL officially recorded 30.7 which is like 60" if you know how where PHL measures snow. It's between a giant airport and a huge gas refinery. It's by far the hottest place in the state. 

2 hours ago, TheSnowman said:

9.25"      55.5" Season    

:cory::frostymelt:       w-flag.gif

2 hours ago, TheSnowman said:

9.25"      55.5" Season    

You can take a road trip to the Sierra's and see some real snow.

24 minutes ago, adk said:

I got 37" measured with a yard stick in a yard. I suspect there was some wind loading. as the average around my area was 33".  PHL officially recorded 30.7 which is like 60" if you know how where PHL measures snow. It's between a giant airport and a huge gas refinery. It's by far the hottest place in the state. 

Where were you exactly?  I was in western Chester County, I remember getting lots if 24-28" measurements, although that was along time ago and I was young high school weenie and don't have any exact records or anything.

2 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

9.5" was the total here, looking at all the PNS reports...it looks like my 12-20" range worked out absolutely perfect as all the numbers for the northern 4 counties pretty much fell in that range, however i was too high for the shore and SE CT with numbers much lower there.

I need more reports as the OKX PNS only lists 1 report for New London at 8.5 and 1 for middletown at 21" which seems absurdly high, no way. 

Yeah that Middletown report is BS...someone measured in a drift. I'm surprised Upton kept it in their report since it was only a Public report anyway.

FWIW, I measured 3.5" here. That was after some sleet started mixing in, so might have been closer to 4". Either way giant bust...even the most conservative forecast here was 6-12". I'm usually conservative myself and figured we'd pull off 8" bare minimum. NAM nailed the thermal profile on the shoreline as I had been concerned about when Kevin was laughing at people for paying it any mind. I think the Bufkit numbers from the 18z run on Monday had GON at like 3" snow...maybe 6" for HVN...so basically right on the money for the shoreline.

Archived