Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Blizzard of the Ides, 2017 ...observation time

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Hambone gonna have a rough time shoveling this morning.

Lol I thought about that when I was walking around the yard picking up limbs and twigs. Probably has a chainsaw in hand madly chopping away. Speaking of chopping, never thought I would have to use an Ice Chopper in mid March on the sidewalk,damn

10 hours ago, CTWeatherFreak said:

Ray, I think you did pretty well..  Didnt Litchfield county, Torrington, et. al.  verify at 18+.  I figure if we got a foot here, Im sure they bested us by at least 6".. Ryan had 18-24 also for  that area.  You might have missed by a little in west hartford county, but didnt you nail Litchfield?  And didnt Danbury get to almost 18" ?

Nah, my final was 14".

Finished with a wind-packed 15.5" on 2.12" LE, for a ratio of 7.3, with 14.0 by 9 last evening and 1.5" on the board at 7 this morning.  No mixing at all, just small flakes and big wind.  Measurements around the yard ranged from under 10" to near 30".  From 4 to 9 last evening we got 10" accum, visibility under 1/8 mile almost constantly (under 50 feet at times) and winds gusting to 40; first storm meeting blizzard criteria here since Dec. 21-22, 2007.  The three big events this winter, Dec. 29-30, Feb 12-13, and this one, total 57.5" snow with 6.06" total LE

26-30" in BTV south end (I catch a little more than the rest of town and than Eyewall) and still snowing under a very blocked flow.  If the flow doesn't unblock then I think  BTV officially  will challenge or pass the all-time biggest snow (which came on a crazy blocked flow event in 2010).  

46 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Nah, my final was 14".

I think I ended up with around 13, I was around 10.5 before the last heavy burst moved through, which had a ton of wind. Measured right after the sleet started and still had 10.5. It has settled to about 11 this morning...

3 minutes ago, adk said:

26-30" in BTV south end (I catch a little more than the rest of town and than Eyewall) and still snowing under a very blocked flow.  If the flow doesn't unblock then I think  BTV officially  will challenge or pass the all-time biggest snow (which came on a crazy blocked flow event in 2010).  

Beefier snow too.  I remember how absolutely pure fluff that 2010 event was.  The pics were cool because there was absolutely no wind and the dendrites stacked in nearly perfect manner for accumulation.  

Finished this one with 19" at my house in Barre

9.5" was the total here, looking at all the PNS reports...it looks like my 12-20" range worked out absolutely perfect as all the numbers for the northern 4 counties pretty much fell in that range, however i was too high for the shore and SE CT with numbers much lower there.

I need more reports as the OKX PNS only lists 1 report for New London at 8.5 and 1 for middletown at 21" which seems absurdly high, no way. 

I lasted until 2:15 with Snow and Sleet.  Rain Now.  Basically No Wind as is usual here.  

9.25"      55.5" Season    

I saw an e-mail on my phone that said I got a $200 Ticket for 11kph over on my 2 hour drive to Amsterdam's AMS Airport yesterday, upping my total to get here at $900.  The storm yesterday downed half of a small tree and a Major branch of an important pine tree.  NOTHING in the world depresses more than losing parts of trees; the love for the environment is the foundation for my love of snow.  The entire 2nd half of the day was shoveling gloppy snow in the WORST weather imaginable: Wind Driven Rain with Sleet included to be pelting you, at 34*.  Today has been the iciest and most Dangerous day I can remember, including the fact that Every chunk of snow has a chance to pierce the tires of the car, AND the chunks of ice in the wheel well took 30 minutes to get out while freezing my fingers off, and I probably damaged the body work as Carefully as I was doing it.  Wouldn't budge, just like Rocks.  There is also no snow on the trees, so it looks like Crap.  The snow piles of course in this type of snow, look like crap.  I'm probably going to rip my coat as well since Everything is a knife today.  That's what I came home for.  This stuff.  And not even the basic 12" storm.  NOT EVEN the February "tiny" storm; 4.25" Less than that.  

Fu*k Snow.  I'm done with it.  The indescribable love + tracking (the love itself started at birth) that started in 2002 and officially began with the 2002 Christmas storm where I was predicted at 16-24, went to bed with 4" of powder, to wake up to 4" of glop, can ONLY be matched in disappointment by this storm.  So it is fitting that this is the end of the road.  I'm moving to LA, and I will no longer care to ever come back for snow, nor care when I miss one.  Northern RI has been 75% disappointment, 20% whatever, 5% elation; matched by the fact that the only storm I jackpotted  since the Great Snow Era began in 1992 was not a storm but 2 quick small storms together in January 2010...... which I was in LA for.  February 7th, 2003 will always be my Favorite storm, as it was unarguably 4" per hour for 2 hours, and December 9th, where I can say I saw an actual lightning bolt hit the ground behind my house, will always be the best.  Some of you guys have my number and FB.  I've had some of my favorite times in life on here, and I wish you guys would have come to CN Mountain at some point.  Was always trying to set it up.  I always trusted you guys were the smartest in the business, and you have been.  Rarely ever wrong.  More right on this storm included than any Mets on TV and even the NWS.  I just can not spend the time on weather that I have been; it's way way too much considering I have 6 other hobbies from Motorsports to FreeSledding itself that take up enough time, and it's holding me back from fully moving to LA since the weather is ULTIMATE Anti-Cory weather.  Boring and Sunny.  So yes, for now - Snowman Out.  

17 hours ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Hi Dan,

I just got back in from shoveling outside of my home in Methuen. A reasonable good estimate using a measuring stick is 12-13. Somewhat of an underperformer snowfall wise, but a overperformer sleet wise. A lot more sleet than what any forecaster had this morning for our area. Very heavy snow to say the least. 

That fits with my observation, I had 12-14 in various spots, so will go with 13".   Definitely much wetter than I thought it would be.

14 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

I think I ended up with around 13, I was around 10.5 before the last heavy burst moved through, which had a ton of wind. Measured right after the sleet started and still had 10.5. It has settled to about 11 this morning...

Yea, thats around what the numbers were out this way. I had 11" before the sleet, 2" after, but I had 1" of sleet in between so that counts too haha. 

11 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

9.5" was the total here, looking at all the PNS reports...it looks like my 12-20" range worked out absolutely perfect as all the numbers for the northern 4 counties pretty much fell in that range, however i was too high for the shore and SE CT with numbers much lower there.

I need more reports as the OKX PNS only lists 1 report for New London at 8.5 and 1 for middletown at 21" which seems absurdly high, no way. 

Middletown report was from a drunk midget in a drift. Cut it in half. 

3 hours ago, eyewall said:

Hahah well I was mentioning it this time because someone said they reported over 24 which can't be since they had 17.8 at 4am or so and I never saw an update after that . Anyway with the drifting it is all best estimates. The plow walls are huge and we are buried.

the 17.8 inch report was as of like 8 or 9pm

i was up all night and it snowed all night...my car in saint albans had 8-10 inches on it that i cleared off this morning (bewteen 8pm and 8am)...  so 25+ inches seems like a very  reasonable report.

Archived