joxey
The Blizzard of the Ides, 2017 ...observation time

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Cold Miser said:

Steve, 
I clicked your weather station link. That's a nice little set-up you've got there.  So close to me that I can reference it if I need to. You should hook up the webcam.

We are remodeling,plan on having puppy cams soon. I'll have a yard Webcam too. 

10 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

My school closed again tomorrow so I'm going skiing.  Deciding between Gore (Adirondacks) or Hunter / Windham (Catskills).  Gore only got 11" today, but are expecting another foot tonight.  Hunter and Windham got 2 ft. today, but they are more expensive and have more trails closed since I think a lot of them had no base before the storm.  Gore has almost all trails open and much more interesting terrain.  Hmmmmm.  First world problem.  Do you guys think the ADK's will play catch up tonight and tomorrow?

Same here.  I will try to hit Wachusett for a couple of hours, solo, since the rest of my family just has delays (for now).  I'm also not feeling 100% after having the stomach bug a couple of days ago

Glad you guys were crushed 

7 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Been ripping 2"+/hr rates for the last 4 hours, Gusty NE winds with frequent gust in the 30 mph range, 15.5" snow,  Temps 25.2°F

Nice dude!  We are back in it now... very sharp gradient moving through on radar as the mid-level dry slot moves out (at least that's my take?).  Look at the sharp line moving through the Northeast Kingdom.

March14j_zps0uosfcbu.gif

6 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Banks and piles are impressive, down to 25F. High was 31.5 - we never mixed here but the snow was very wet. Closing in on 14". Still accumulating, I expect we pick up another 1" overnight.

Nice pic...yeah the snow banks are awesome all around. Definitely man snow...there's some mass in this stuff. Despite the QPF being a bit overdone on models, this isn't a low QPF event...probably 1.4-1.5" liquid equivalent when set and done.

2 hours ago, sankaty said:

Any idea how Okemo is doing?  Planning on Okemo and Pico this weekend.

Hi, Pico will be like Killington...and I can tell you that will be splendid.  Okemo looks to have a little less but still utterly blanketed. Things will still be epic for the weekend. Look at the temps,and potentially a little  more snow may fall.

It's a win-win for you :)

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nice pic...yeah the snow banks are awesome all around. Definitely man snow...there's some mass in this stuff. Despite the QPF being a bit overdone on models, this isn't a low QPF event...probably 1.4-1.5" liquid equivalent when set and done.

Yeah. Definitely man-snow.  I got out there and cleared just before the light rain seeped in and made it heavier than it already was.  Now it is snowing and putting a nice coating on everything. 

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Nice dude!  We are back in it now... very sharp gradient moving through on radar as the mid-level dry slot moves out (at least that's my take?).  Look at the sharp line moving through the Northeast Kingdom.

March14j_zps0uosfcbu.gif

That's sweet! How much over there today?

1 minute ago, ThatGirlWhoSkis said:

Hi, Pico will be like Killington...and I can tell you that will be splendid.  Okemo looks to have a little less but still utterly blanketed. Things will still be epic for the weekend. Look at the temps,and potentially a little  more snow may fall.

It's a win-win for you :)

Okemo def needed it.  It was ice ice baby on Friday

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Eat itNoyes. This reminds me of the Bruce Willis flags in feb 2011. Although a bit of a different storm.

You gotta listen to the ten commandments of forecasting...thou shalt not forecast over 12" of snow when the H7 low goes through NY State....with maybe some minor exceptions...like this storm. But you still have to keep the commandment in the back of your mind and temper expectations even if you are going over a foot. I think 12-18 was ok too...that will end up being pretty solid for most of interior MA...even from pretty close to Boston and points west and northwest.

1 minute ago, Cold Miser said:

Yeah. Definitely man-snow.  I got out there and cleared just before the light rain seeped in and made it heavier than it already was.  Now it is snowing and putting a nice coating on everything. 

Do you shovel, plow, or snow blow.  I know you had that accident with the snow thrower a few years ago...

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You gotta listen to the ten commandments of forecasting...thou shalt not forecast over 12" of snow when the H7 low goes through NY State....with maybe some minor exceptions...like this storm. But you still have to keep the commandment in the back of your mind and temper expectations even if you are going over a foot. I think 12-18 was ok too...that will end up being pretty solid for most of interior MA...even from pretty close to Boston and points west and northwest.

Yep. But the gone wild calls for Boston this winter on all sides have been absurd. My buddy who's a landscape foreman goes" so 12-18"? I said how about 8-12 and change to rain. He was like wtf? LOL. 

Archived