Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Blizzard of the Ides, 2017 ...observation time

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Hours of heavy " snizzle". Light snow starting to clear out, now. Just about 14" here on Green Hill, but may be a bit less according to other local sites. Temp really dropping went from 0/32 down to -3/27 fast. Wind is till roaring out of N now and nothing like it was earlier. No complaints about under-performing. A good old fashioned storm here. I remember lots of these cement snows when I was a kid. Last decade or so it seems like we've gotten more of the fluffy very cold storms with great ratios. 

14" is pretty close...if you saw in the pic I just posted, you can see the snow stick in the backround very close to 14"...just to your west on winter hill. Pretty solid event....no complaints. My range for ORH was 10-16"...whether it was 12-18 or 10-16 or 12-20, it will verify. I was skeptical of the 18+ amounts which is why I kept things a bit lower and am happy to have done so.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

In a foot of snow it blew across the deck?

Deck already shoveled, we flipped to rain and sleet so I got out there before transition.

we had a 2 hour window from 4-6 pm of some unbelievable gusts. Been in this area for 20 years in I'd say this is up there with some of the puchiest gusts I've seen winter or summer.

20 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

Re the QPF issue, one place that received more than models depicted (or same) was ACY, they had a storm total of 3.22" all rain (trace snow). 

For the record, obs show 976 low about to emerge into Mass Bay south of BOS, based on reports from offshore buoys earlier I would expect very strong SW winds to develop in about 2 hours across Cape and parts of southeast MA. Next landfall appears to be somewhere near Mount Desert Island around 06z. 

Winds over coastal ME and NH (and extreme ne MA) will probably back steadily to NW 30-50 mph and snow bands will begin to wrap around to some extent. So for the Maine poster who was wondering about further snow, I think what this means is about 4-8 inches more around Portland, less than that from there to NH border, 8-12 more around Bath to Bangor. Those might be a bit generous, could be minor taint. I think the storm has almost peaked in terms of further pressure drops, but could reach 974 at some point before leaving the Gulf of Maine. Some weakening will follow as a secondary low still on the front begins to sap energy late tonight. 

The lowest pressures were over ECT and RI. This is my Baro and other nearby had the same 

Screenshot_20170314-182425.png

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

14" is pretty close...if you saw in the pic I just posted, you can see the snow stick in the backround very close to 14"...just to your west on winter hill. Pretty solid event....no complaints. My range for ORH was 10-16"...whether it was 12-18 or 10-16 or 12-20, it will verify. I was skeptical of the 18+ amounts which is why I kept things a bit lower and am happy to have done so.

You were on the concern bus along with Weatherweezy and some others. This was a fun tracking event, even of the letdown here. It was a good experience/learning though regarding mid level track and how each large system past several years seems to make guidance behave differently. Like it is not just "euro always too amped" or "gfs always proggy" or "pick a nam any nam" because gfs from 3/4 days out was right (hugger idea) and nam even the extended nam runs were correct but it was "lol nam at 72hr, we toss". I thought the hugger idea was the most likely scenario from the get go but I fell of it when nothing but the mesos showed it. 

Put it in the memory bank and be better for it. Still, 13-14" aint terrible and the morning was a crap load of epocity....just short lived. 

My school closed again tomorrow so I'm going skiing.  Deciding between Gore (Adirondacks) or Hunter / Windham (Catskills).  Gore only got 11" today, but are expecting another foot tonight.  Hunter and Windham got 2 ft. today, but they are more expensive and have more trails closed since I think a lot of them had no base before the storm.  Gore has almost all trails open and much more interesting terrain.  Hmmmmm.  First world problem.  Do you guys think the ADK's will play catch up tonight and tomorrow?

Archived