SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Blizzard of the Ides, 2017 ...observation time

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i don't think i will ever understand the whole blizzard criteria thing. i mean this afternoon conditions around CON were ho-ho-horrendous. vis was less than 1/8 mile, very heavy snow for several hours straight. So just because the wind was officially over 35, it's not an official blizzard? i mean, weren't the conditions hazardous? 

1 minute ago, SJonesWX said:

i don't think i will ever understand the whole blizzard criteria thing. i mean this afternoon conditions around CON were ho-ho-horrendous. vis was less than 1/8 mile, very heavy snow for several hours straight. So just because the wind was officially over 35, it's not an official blizzard? i mean, weren't the conditions hazardous? 

who cares what its called??

It is what it is.

You don't need verification or conformation of a blizzardthats happening outside of your own window!

jeeesh

3 minutes ago, kmcfarland99 said:

Is this the end game here in southern Maine? Or does a bit more fill back in later on?

IMG_2145.PNG

4 minutes ago, kmcfarland99 said:

Is this the end game here in southern Maine? Or does a bit more fill back in later on?

IMG_2145.PNG

no its not over??

seriously?

6 minutes ago, justaroofer said:

who cares what its called??

It is what it is.

You don't need verification or conformation of a blizzardthats happening outside of your own window!

jeeesh

i poorly tried to convey my point. i agree with you. this was a high impact storm, but for the general public, the term blizzard ramps things up. i would be willing to bet that 75% of the population thinks that blizzard=lots of snow, and has no idea that a "blizzard" has specific criteria.

3 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Send me your final snowfall total when its all done or quote me and ill be doing a map later....see how bad I and everyone else busted :D

Hey pal, ended with 14 inches here in Southington, CT.  Had a very short window(45 minutes)of sleet..then flipped back to snow. Temps stayed in the 20's whole event. Feels and looks like Deep deep winter here. 

Certainly not a top 10 event here...But a Good solid storm/event for sure!!  This brings me to 65 inches on the season..not to shabby for sure..normal is about 48 inches. 

Re the QPF issue, one place that received more than models depicted (or same) was ACY, they had a storm total of 3.22" all rain (trace snow). 

For the record, obs show 976 low about to emerge into Mass Bay south of BOS, based on reports from offshore buoys earlier I would expect very strong SW winds to develop in about 2 hours across Cape and parts of southeast MA. Next landfall appears to be somewhere near Mount Desert Island around 06z. 

Winds over coastal ME and NH (and extreme ne MA) will probably back steadily to NW 30-50 mph and snow bands will begin to wrap around to some extent. So for the Maine poster who was wondering about further snow, I think what this means is about 4-8 inches more around Portland, less than that from there to NH border, 8-12 more around Bath to Bangor. Those might be a bit generous, could be minor taint. I think the storm has almost peaked in terms of further pressure drops, but could reach 974 at some point before leaving the Gulf of Maine. Some weakening will follow as a secondary low still on the front begins to sap energy late tonight. 

Hours of heavy " snizzle". Light snow starting to clear out, now. Just about 14" here on Green Hill, but may be a bit less according to other local sites. Temp really dropping went from 0/32 down to -3/27 fast. Wind is till roaring out of N now and nothing like it was earlier. No complaints about under-performing. A good old fashioned storm here. I remember lots of these cement snows when I was a kid. Last decade or so it seems like we've gotten more of the fluffy very cold storms with great ratios. 

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

They have 92" YTD. They'll probably break 100" this weekend. That's crazy. It just doesn't seem like that snowy of a winter, but even here  up to 72.5"

Yeah.  I'm friends with the guy on FB.  I've tried to get him on here.  He has beaten me in almost every event this year...lol

Archived