SnowHabit
The Blizzard of the Ides, 2017 ...observation time

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Definitely sleet where I am in Brookline

Same obs as SBosWx, been sand blasting since about 2pm. Does not correspond with CC radar, not sure why.

This probably shaved off 3-5 inches given these rates.

Same story here as well. Probably going to finish out with 6-7" or so of cement.

Interesting ... 

I'm thinking this is about done...  80 some-odd percent of the event is now done and behind, and we vestige our way out going forward?

Radar returns are eased off considerably everywhere abeam of SNE latitudes and peering south, NYC switched over to sensitivity rad mode to pick up windy freezing mist and snizzle in that area ...I don't see much evidence of cooling cloud tops on IR, either... 

Also, we've really eased off the frequency of those monster wind gusts here in N. Middlesex Co.  We're still occasionally getting those, but we're getting increasingly long intervals between where the wind is very light.  

Looks like about 10" here ... maybe 11"  It's almost half way up the tire wells of my car. 

Prelim assessment:  this system failed to capture... The phase was never really that proficient...and about 4 days ago, the Euro had one run where it showed that much better, but since it's been a struggle; we've been dealing with cycle after cycle where the low was squirting out way ahead of the trialing N-stream closing low, and then stalling too far away to benefit (mechanically)... It wouldn't shock me if the storm is maxed(ing) as we speak - but we'll see. 

Solid moderate nor-easter (so far). 

Archived