Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Blizzard of the Ides, 2017 ...observation time

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, snowgeek said:

They're gonna think I'm cheating LOL.  I swear I'm not cheating and my ruler is slanted less than 5 degrees.  Delmar is very close to me and reported 5" less than me!  WTF!

NEW YORK

...ALBANY COUNTY...
   SLINGERLANDS          16.8  1215 PM  3/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   KNOX                  14.0  1243 PM  3/14  WEATHERNET6
   1 SW GUILDERLAND      13.5  1230 PM  3/14  NWS EMPLOYEE
   DELMAR                12.0  1226 PM  3/14  WEATHERNET6
   1 ENE CLARKSVILLE     11.0  1115 AM  3/14  SHERIFF OFFICE
   ALBANY                11.0  1255 PM  3/14  WEATHERNET6
   2 W ALBANY            11.0  1138 AM  3/14  RETIRED NWS EMP.
   GLENMONT              10.5  1131 AM  3/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   LATHAM                 9.7  1209 PM  3/14  WEATHERNET6
   COLONIE                9.0  1158 AM  3/14  WEATHERNET6
   COHOES                 9.0  1208 PM  3/14  WEATHERNET6
   WATERVLIET             9.0  1157 AM  3/14  WEATHERNET6
   CLARKSVILLE            8.7  1100 AM  3/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   1 S ALBANY             8.5  1100 AM  3/14  NWS EMPLOYEE
   1 ENE MCKOWNVILLE      8.2  1200 PM  3/14  NWS OFFICE

Nah, I'm a few miles away today in Guilderland and had 14-15", so I believe yours.  The NWS total seems more exceedingly low than anything else.

1 minute ago, SnowlieSnowstormson said:

I just can't believe how much potential this storm had on paper and how much of a flop (relative to modeled potential in the days leading up) it ended up being for most locations in SNE.  20-60% underperformer.

It looked great but just didn't come together. 

If only someone had pointed out the dry air aloft for CT *cough* Paul *cough*

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think he's getting some crappy snow growth with a lot of rimed flakes...dual pol shows the real sleet line still well south in the Scituate/Brockton corridor.

Good call, im in Randolph as well vis back down a bit and better SN with the northern edge of those 30 dBZ echos approaching

2 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

It's much easier to see it on my radarscope app. I'll probably go back over to snow for a bit. 

Yes you will. I know Im on borrowed time but it looks like we might cash in just a little more from the heavier stuff moving up now

4 minutes ago, SnowlieSnowstormson said:

I just can't believe how much potential this storm had on paper and how much of a flop (relative to modeled potential in the days leading up) it ended up being for most locations in SNE.  20-60% underperformer.

It looked great but just didn't come together. 

yup, you nailed it although if Nw mass pivots a bit they may do pretty well, maybe mpm or hippy sees 15 or so

Just now, MarkO said:

Best part of storm so far. Wind ripping into upper 20's low 30's. S++ 31.5/31. Not quite blizzard criteria, but only due to my relatively sheltered anemometer. 

How much do you have in Lowell? I just measured 9'' in a fairly sheltered spot that has not been drifting. But that seems like it might be too high?

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think he's getting some crappy snow growth with a lot of rimed flakes...dual pol shows the real sleet line still well south in the Scituate/Brockton corridor.

I was going to say that it looked suspicious to me that we'd be getting sleet 25 miles north of the dual-pol line. We're getting a mix of rimed flakes and small flakes here - definitely feels like sleet but I don't think it is. Visibility is back up to about .75sm though after being whiteout earlier. Measured 5.3", but given I had 3.1" 2 hours ago and the rates we've had, I would have expected higher. Ratios are definitely bad though here, we're under 10:1 for sure. I was able to take a core out of the pack by just using a ruler and cutting a circle and pulling it out - don't have any way to melt it down to confirm it but I'd guess it's 7-8:1.

Archived