Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The Blizzard of the Ides, 2017 ...observation time

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, sankaty said:

The ice storm I'm thinking of was January 18th, right between the two big snowstorms.

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

No it was in January..after the first big event.  Then the ice system..then the next big system on top of that.  

I trust you guys better than my own memory.

Really started cranking here in Lexington in the past 15-20 minutes.  Heavy snow.  Gusty winds.  We never really get strong winds in my general area though.  Really sheltered by some big trees, but you can hear the "freight train" about 100 feet above the ground.  Pasty snow now as well.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Did the hills have snow or something? i would think me the ice storm fetish guy would recall that lol

I think it was snow to rain out of the valley.  We had 2.5" of snow then a fair amount of ice.  I remember it being about 30F here and about 50F at Willimantic.

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I had people telling me to lower my calls on FB....people really were going off the deep end.

Not too late for that  ... :) 

This system could up and quit at 11" and given the 3-hourly push ...would have verified the blizz while still managing to sore-up the butts of forecasters -

4 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

10" here with a IP/SN mix. Definitely not as good as I thought it would be. I thought I would get 16" but it's not surprising given that we were relying solely on a fast-moving WCB.

Yea, the full phase was needed to get the ccb going. Mostly IP with some snow mixing in, roughly 13" here, going out shortly. Might pick up a couple on the backside here though so maybe 16" is within reach. Doubt it though.

3 minutes ago, Weenie Radar said:

Jan 11 went whopper - moderate snow - whopper - then ice/rain early Feb. Valleys were colder in the early Feb storm than elevated areas which led to all the barn and greenhouse collapses.

Oh..now I remember..we added all that weight to the pack. And it was a rain event here. But was like 34-35. 

3 minutes ago, Weenie Radar said:

Jan 11 went whopper - moderate snow - whopper - then ice/rain early Feb. Valleys were colder in the early Feb storm than elevated areas which led to all the barn and greenhouse collapses.

We got ic/ mix event in between the two huge snow events in January for certain...had to shovel roof(very end of January), and hack through the ice layer in a huge huge pack.

feb was a separate mix/ice system perhaps. 

Archived