Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The Blizzard of the Ides, 2017 ...observation time

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Best thing i can see is at least it pushed me to 50 on the season, otherwise a huge bust, glad i didnt go 15-25 or 16-24, but 12-20 is still pretty bad. All the shore will see less than 10. A foot or more will be confined to far interior and NW hills.

Extremely heavy sleet and wind, it looks painful out there.

Yeah we're going to bust hard on this one. We were lower than pretty much everyone including NWS so that's good, but we'll have some explaining to do tonight.

Meanwhile, it's dumping here.

7 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Precipitation Type algorithms vary significantly for same HRRR runs on different guidance...

Weatherbell + TropicalWeather significantly colder than Pivotalweather, and reality seems somewhere in between specifically looking at DualPol for sleet line currently just kissing and stalled at south Mass coast.  Anyone know if these are known differences?

To add to that, soundings on HRRR / RAP support all snow at times this afternoon (eg. 18z-20z) when Pivotalweather has Boston in pink, so I'd think the Weatherbell / Tropicalweather depictions are more accurate

19 minutes ago, sankaty said:

What's the convention for measuring after the changeover to sleet?  Clear some space to measure the sleet accumulation, or measure the snow/sleet combo?

I don't know what is technically correct, but if you want to see how much sleet you got then the only option is to clear.

3 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Keep the obs coming.

5 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Puking snow still. 

New 14z RAP actually struggles to push the sleet line north for a while in SE MA...it has the sleet line roughly around PYM to EWB at 1pm.

Archived