Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 13-14 Storm Observations

The Iceman

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Down The Rabbit Hole said:

People in that zone usually get screwed by 0C lines and/or dry slots unless it's a Miller A all the way.

Had I read this on Sunday, I'd have realized that the coastal NE Corridor wasn't going to see a thing. Seen that song and dance many times before. But I did not read it.

January 2016, PDII were miller B's it's different with every one of these.

2 hours ago, Down The Rabbit Hole said:

People in that zone usually get screwed by 0C lines and/or dry slots unless it's a Miller A all the way.

Had I read this on Sunday, I'd have realized that the coastal NE Corridor wasn't going to see a thing. Seen that song and dance many times before. But I did not read it.

Interesting article, I think many in amwx did mention phasing issues early as Saturday.  I still think it was more of a Miller A/B hybrid since the N/S vort tapped into the GOM causing tornado warnings in Florida. 

Professor Grenci also may have used some incorrect terminology - "transferring it's energy".

If you read this post in the Miller A vs Miller B thread poster OKpowdah states "it's more of a redevelopment of the coast"

1 minute ago, Sophisticated Skeptic said:

I couldn't imagine anybody having to manually shovel that heart attack snow.... even if it was just 4 to 8 inches...think about all the water within.  

30 inches of snow here....so shoveling that 6 inches, was equivalent to shoveling 30".  

I am sore beyond belief.  In my development the snow plow pushed mounds of sleet and rain laden wet snow behind both of my cars. 

Ugh, don't get old. 

2 hours ago, RedSky said:

I'd say from NE Philadelphia northward do quite well with Miller B storms.  I know I do in lower bucks county. We do risk dry slotting but it's worth it once the storm intensifies and we get CCB'd. 

Just now, PaEasternWX said:

btw, thank god i shovled today   shoveled and did it yesterday. What is on the ground is a glacier. It literally turned into a solid 6-8 inch ice pack. Impossible to dig through and you can't stomp on it to go through it. Hard as a rock the snow pack is today. I wonder if it will last longer  7 inches of solid ice vs if it was just fluffy snow.

can't edit I meant was shoveled and did it yesterday.

1 minute ago, PaEasternWX said:

btw, thank god i shovled today. What is on the ground is a glacier. It literally turned into a solid 6-8 inch ice pack. Impossible to dig through and you can't stomp on it to go through it. Hard as a rock the snow pack is today. I wonder if it will last longer  7 inches of solid ice vs if it was just fluffy snow.

I'll lay odds on March sun angle.  

5 minutes ago, Sophisticated Skeptic said:

I couldn't imagine anybody having to manually shovel that heart attack snow.... even if it was just 4 to 8 inches...think about all the water within.  

30 inches of snow here....so shoveling that 6 inches, was equivalent to shoveling 30".  

Nice post!  The shoveling was definitely hard with 4" snow packed with 5 hrs. worth of sleet!  20" would have felt the same.

I have ice packed in the front wheel of my car, makes for a shaky ride!  Parked it in the sun this morning but no go with melting it.

2 hours ago, RedSky said:

They're almost all a little different, aren't they?  To me, this storm was like a weaker version of Superstorm 93'.  It didn't start quite as far south, and was obviously no where near the pressure, but the track was similar and the style of precip was similar too....just didn't get as much due to it being smaller and not quite as much dynamic cooling.  Ironically only 1 day later on the calendar also.  

23 minutes ago, DarthDoppler said:

They're almost all a little different, aren't they?  To me, this storm was like a weaker version of Superstorm 93'.  It didn't start quite as far south, and was obviously no where near the pressure, but the track was similar and the style of precip was similar too....just didn't get as much due to it being smaller and not quite as much dynamic cooling.  Ironically only 1 day later on the calendar also.  

There is a great synopsis over in the MA forum regarding this storm. 

Bob Chill has a great post detailing how everything began to change and why maybe the NAM was right to a degree. 

SCR/WB's 4" today brought their total to 22.4...1" more than Superstorm 93 and the largest Snowfall in March on Record: According to Josh Hodell whom I know is now the best Met in this area...The neighborhood finally started coming out today, the consensus among them was 23" yesterday and we were standing out in inch or more and hour snow...still some flurries off the N streamer now...,Talked to my neighbor just a few ago and our consensus was 7+ at Least. here;Today...Making this the largest total of my 58 year life...Schools are already closed/closing for tomorrow...

4 hours ago, Violentweatherfan said:

There is a great synopsis over in the MA forum regarding this storm. 

Bob Chill has a great post detailing how everything began to change and why maybe the NAM was right to a degree. 

Nice, thanks for the link :)  I was concerned about what the short range models were pointing out too, as I know with a low in that position we change over anywhere from NW Montco or up a bit into the Poconos.  I hadn't thought about the placement of the high as much as I should have though.........I took too many people's word for granted over whether we'd change over or not.  I also took for granted that the low would be a bit further east going by what some mets said, but alas, the nam was correct after all.  Still, I knew we were in for a nasty storm as 12"+ with all that sleet is no fun to shovel.  It rutted up the roads good too........pretty much like the 1993 blizzard did!  I didn't do a final measurement from my house, but the 13ish" I hear for my area looks about right.  (10" in low part of my yard, considerably more in drifted parts....but I didn't measure them so I can only speculate)  

23 minutes ago, DarthDoppler said:

Nice, thanks for the link :)  I was concerned about what the short range models were pointing out too, as I know with a low in that position we change over anywhere from NW Montco or up a bit into the Poconos.  I hadn't thought about the placement of the high as much as I should have though.........I took too many people's word for granted over whether we'd change over or not.  I also took for granted that the low would be a bit further east going by what some mets said, but alas, the nam was correct after all.  Still, I knew we were in for a nasty storm as 12"+ with all that sleet is no fun to shovel.  It rutted up the roads good too........pretty much like the 1993 blizzard did!  I didn't do a final measurement from my house, but the 13ish" I hear for my area looks about right.  (10" in low part of my yard, considerably more in drifted parts....but I didn't measure them so I can only speculate)  

I completely took granted that it was would be their too.

Agreed, not even remotely close to 2001. And most people Ive spoken to and seen on social media arent complaining AT ALL contrary to Iceman's claims. Perhaps the weather weenies are upset but Joe Public could care less. Most people are telling me that was a really bad March storm. I think most public went with media outlets that were generally 6-12 or 8-16 in my area and werent too far off. If anything people are praising the media and weather service citing just now bad it was. Most people really dont care they didnt get a foot.....their day was severely impacted and that is how most seem to have judged this storm. A "bust" in the weather community? Perhaps. A bust for the normal everyday person? Not really.

5 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Agreed, not even remotely close to 2001. And most people Ive spoken to and seen on social media arent complaining AT ALL contrary to Iceman's claims. Perhaps the weather weenies are upset but Joe Public could care less. Most people are telling me that was a really bad March storm. I think most public went with media outlets that were generally 6-12 or 8-16 in my area and werent too far off. If anything people are praising the media and weather service citing just now bad it was. Most people really dont care they didnt get a foot.....their day was severely impacted and that is how most seem to have judged this storm. A "bust" in the weather community? Perhaps. A bust for the normal everyday person? Not really.

First, March,2001, not a part of this comment. Personally I (weather weenie) was disappointed we got no snow of note; just a few flakes at the start. I do believe the overall forecast could have been better. HOWEVER, as you said, "Joe Public could care less". I stand alone among many friends & family members in missing snow. I too hear a goodly number of folks describe the storm as "bad". They feel for those who got iced in and truly believe those headaches are worse than a few more inches of snow. Interestingly, several told me the while forecast north & west of here was for more snow/less ice, it is March. They acknowledge the tough call the NWS had to make, especially in March; surprised me. That means MANY down this way feel lucky/HAPPY we only got rain, even if it was 2.80". The wind, as predicted, did not fall short; still gusting 35+mph(3/16,1:15pm). Don't know how many gusts of 40+mph I've had (many!)but the average person considers it all storm related. It's still impacting outdoor activities. Through in the flooding which did reach moderate levels, as predicted,  all around Cape May County and which caused numerous problems. Indeed most do feel we've had a bad storm and the overall (CWA) forecast was close enough.

Archived