Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 13-14 Storm Observations

The Iceman

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure how much has actually fallen due to the compression of each type of precip.

I'd say 3.5-4.5" of what ever.

There is 1/8th of an inch of ice buildup on the side of the car.

Still coming done about 1/2" of sleet per hour.  Winds gusty, but not that bad.

And the stuff out there is HEAVY.  Shovel some if you have time, don't try to do it all at once. Makes a great "snow" ball, but would be the kind where afterward you'd have to apologize to your mom for breaking your brother's eye socket when you threw it at him.

Langhorne, Bucks County.

1 minute ago, shemATC said:

Not sure how much has actually fallen due to the compression of each type of precip.

I'd say 3.5-4.5" of what ever.

There is 1/8th of an inch of ice buildup on the side of the car.

Still coming done about 1/2" of sleet per hour.  Winds gusty, but not that bad.

And the stuff out there is HEAVY.  Shovel some if you have time, don't try to do it all at once. Makes a great "snow" ball, but would be the kind where afterward you'd have to apologize to your mom for breaking your brother's eye socket when you threw it at him.

Langhorne, Bucks County.

I was just about to post "where is shem, I need to buy him a beer".

Well, crazy storm.  I am enjoying it.  Just saw a plow go by.  Was pushing off a huge amount of accumulated sleet.

2 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

I was just about to post "where is shem, I need to buy him a beer".

Well, crazy storm.  I am enjoying it.  Just saw a plow go by.  Was pushing off a huge amount of accumulated sleet.

Lack of snow is depressing, but meteorologically it's crazy.  

It seems like places to the southwest are changing back to snow as the storm center deepens and moves north.  Hopefully that bodes well for us in the sleet/zr/rain zones further north/east.  It would be nice to get a couple hours of snow before the decent precip pulls away.

Temps in SoMoCo range from 35-40 depending upon how close you are to coast.  Driving rain and wind.  Roads are fine with minor flooding. RT 35 Belmar closed due to high tide, usually near Windmill.

The one good thing is the layer and layers of brine put down on the roads for the last two days are washing away and off my truck. It was a bit insane the amount of treatment done on State and County roads down here......

Could someone explain to me why in this intense band there is no snow only sleet? I thought the heavier precip (snow) would be able to break through the warm layer and produce snow?

I snowing over here near Reading mod-heavy at times but nowhere near what it looks like it should by the radar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, penndotguy said:

I snowing over here near Reading mod-heavy at times but nowhere near what it looks like it should by the radar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smack in the middle of this band is 100% sleet. No joke not a single flake. Heck, there may be rain mixing in with the sleet.

1 minute ago, Newman said:

Smack in the middle of this band is 100% sleet. No joke not a single flake. Heck, there may be rain mixing in with the sleet.

I'm wondering if what looks like higher precip rates for those bands is simply higher returns because of the sleet.  

31 minutes ago, shadow_ said:

I just got that band that is moving through allentown. I'm in whitehall and boy the skys have opened up. Huge flakes 3'' hour rate or more. First time i'm hearing some pinging but mostly all snow.

What part of Whitehall are you in?  What would you say you have so far through the storm?

4 minutes ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

What part of Whitehall are you in?  What would you say you have so far through the storm?

Soon as i posted that, it turned into a sleetfest. I'm near the whitehall mall. It's hard to tell with the wind, i would guess maybe 10 inches. That is getting compacted now with this heavy sleet.

Archived