SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 13-14 Storm Observations

The Iceman

6 minutes ago, RedSky said:

IP/SN mix 75/25% Quakertown is getting sand blasted 

Temp continues to drop 24.8F

Yeah. I noticed that the mix line seems to be somewhat collapsing south in the Lehigh Valley area according that radar. Could be encouraging. 

Edit: Seems to have shifted south slightly. "Collapsing" is too strong of a description.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Just flipped almost instantly back to heavy blinding snow. Snowing sideways and very windy. Flakes the size of silver dollars! Easily near blizzard to blizzard conditions right now. Absolutely epic! Just kidding, driving sleetstorm here. Only thing epic is this bust. Makes 2001 look like kid stuff.

forecasters at least realized 2001 was busting and adjusted accordingly. this storm all of the pros are just acting like nothing is wrong. no need to cancel blizzard warnings for ice storm warnings. no need to update discussion since our last one was completely wrong. just a bunch of hand sitting and praying it magically turns back to snow it seems.

2 minutes ago, penndotguy said:

Gotta love 69 news they are not giving up on there snow map going down with the ship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I respect Ed Hanna, but they put out lousy forecasts all the time. Steve D on twitter is saying that if the sleet doesn't switch back with the incoming heavy moisture, then it will safely be a bust. I'm hesitant to call bust because I'm hoping we can dynamically cool a bit to push the line south, but I don't know. Getting blasted with sleet here.

My complaints with this winter event are this currently-ok it busted big these things happen and I am now getting a sleet storm but the QPF is also failing biggly, light to moderate sleet and the storm is over in 5 hours nowhere close to 2.0" QPF is going to fall.

24.6F

Still getting moderate FZRA w/some pingers and rimmed flakes mixed in.  Temp almost down to 27F. Have about 2.5" of compacted cement so far. :axe:

The interesting thing is that the rain component must be pretty warm because I'm not seeing much of an ice coating on things yet but it's definitely rain in there and below freezing outside.

2 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

50 50 rain and sleet mix and under a blizzard warning. what a horrible horrible forecast and absolutely embarrassing there has been no update. rain still isn't even in my forecast. it's like they can't even look out the window...

You need to take a step back.  Again these posts are why mets never come in here

4 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

50 50 rain and sleet mix and under a blizzard warning. what a horrible horrible forecast and absolutely embarrassing there has been no update. rain still isn't even in my forecast. it's like they can't even look out the window...

I feel bad for you man. You were probably expecting over a foot. However, try to lighten up on all the gloom and doom. You'll make yourself feel worse than you need to.

I respect Ed Hanna, but they put out lousy forecasts all the time. Steve D on twitter is saying that if the sleet doesn't switch back with the incoming heavy moisture, then it will safely be a bust. I'm hesitant to call bust because I'm hoping we can dynamically cool a bit to push the line south, but I don't know. Getting blasted with sleet here.

I have actually gone back to moderate with a little sleet mixed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely raging ice storm outside. I have never seen sleet rates like this before even during the great Valentine's Day sleet storm. This may go down as epic yet. Could potentially be one of the biggest snowfall busts ever in terms of actual snow totals vs forecast amounts and one of the most underforecast sleet/ice storms that the region has ever seen. Absolute skating rink out there. Will need a pickaxe or jackhammer by the time this is over.

17 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

That's really rough.  Tricky forecast, and it's not looking good.  But in fairness, you are right on the southern border of the heavier snow forecasts.  The NWS forecast just 5 miles south of you looks a little more reasonable.  

720 am: We are holding warnings as is for now though probably
downgrading blizzard in monmouth.

Just had 49 kt se wind gust from wxflow near Wallops Island
around 650A.

Tremendous fluxes developing right now as the storm will begin
realizing its excessive potential both in terms of wind,
probably coastal flooding and a band 3"/hr snowfall rates as a
band of seems to be developing fm vcnty chesapeake bay which
will extend north through Reading up to MPO by Noon.

Will not surprise to see northward sleet mix collapse sewd twd
I-95 next 3 hours as the abv freezing layer near 850MB cools,
partly by excessive uvm.

5 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Absolutely raging ice storm outside. I have never seen sleet rates like this before even during the great Valentine's Day sleet storm. This may go down as epic yet. Could potentially be one of the biggest snowfall busts ever in terms of actual snow totals vs forecast amounts and one of the most underforecast sleet/ice storms that the region has ever seen. Absolute skating rink out there. Will need a pickaxe or jackhammer by the time this is over.

Ralph i can't figure any of this out I adapted expectations for a sleet storm but the rates are very disappointing up here

Garden variety sleet lol

19 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

You need to take a step back.  Again these posts are why mets never come in here

um i dont need to do anything buddy. if they can't handle perfectly reasonable criticism then good riddance. it is an awful forecast sorry if their feelings are hurt but im calling it what it is. I don't need to get on my knees to defend a forecast just because they are pros. it is an absolutely terrible forecast and there's been a severe lack of updates. these are just facts.

Current radar (but will continually update) -

https://radar.weather.gov/Conus/northeast_loop.php

NatLoop_Small.gif

It's juicy but still hugging.  It's not near any benchmark.  Temp down to 27F here and slowly falling.  Still FZRA, a few pingers, and fine flakes mixed in.  Edit to add that colder objects (metal, shrubs, etc) are starting to get coated as the surface temp drops.

15 minutes ago, Newman said:

I can't keep up with all the transitions I'm getting. Was just heavy sleet, then no joke heavy snow, and now back to sleet. Riding the line.

I'm right with you riding that line also.  I'm just slightly more sleet than you I think.  (same latitude, slightly further east)  Sometimes I hear pinging, sometimes I don't.  I hate this time of day.......sunlight not strong enough to help much yet, but lights are useless.

Archived