Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 13/14 Storm Banter Thread

WxUSAF

2 hours ago, stormtracker said:

Agreed.  If anything, dare I say, the maligned NAM started hinting at the obscene warm air intrusion first.

Meh, this storm kinda sucked for me, but I knew that was a possibility going in and I'm ok.  It's gotta hurt worse tho for those up north.  We live, we learn...and we'll all do it again.  

RGEM also had ridiculous warm air intrusion too, pretty far NW too.

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

My 12 year old son headed out at 9AM looking for shoveling work. He just walked in red faced and tired with $115 in his hand. Proud dad right here. Reminds me of my youth. I would shovel until my arms wanted to fall off then immediately blow all the money I made at the arcade and pizza shop. lol 

That's really great. I was the same way growing up. Most kids today have no interest in making a few bucks mostly because they're so spoiled. I lived up here 8 years now and we've had some huge winters as you know and I've never had one kid knock on my door looking to shovel.

Just now, HighStakes said:

That's really great. I was the same way growing up. Most kids today have no interest in making a few bucks mostly because they're so spoiled. I lived up here 8 years now and we've had some huge winters as you know and I've never had one kid knock on my door looking to shovel.

Totally know what you mean. Many kids nowadays don't want to do hard labor for a quick buck. It's sad compared to the 70s and 80s. I would do anything. Shovel snow, rake leaves, mow lawns, spread mulch, whatever. I had a great gig on my street. I had 4 lawn in a row including mine. I would make $75 week and promptly blow it all on gas, girlfriends, cheap beer and keg parties. I was 16 at least so it wasn't like I was irresponsible or anything. 

Oddly my street is has quite a few industrious kids. A few houses up a couple teen boys bought a beat up old snow blower a couple years ago for like $20 and fixed it up. They made over $2k in 2 days after the blizzard. First they hit our street because we hadn't been plowed. As soon as a plow came they loaded up the snowblower and shovels in the back of their truck and went mobile. Came home loaded with cash. The older boy has recently become a firefighter and has every intention of working his way up to chief. I don't doubt it. He was always a really cool kid and is definitely going places. I can only hope my son keep his drive to succeed regardless of the type of work. 

I actually liked this event. Once it was clearly not going to be all snow, the goalposts shifted mentally for me. There's not too much difference for me between 6" of snow plus an inch of sleet (best case) and what happened. Grass is covered. Got the day off. Wintry outside. If the forecast yesterday afternoon had been 12", then sure, I'd be more upset.

Looks like mini-Map enjoyed the storm more than any of us on the forum. Ah...the innocence of youth....and for us...the curse of knowledge

Oh yeah! Doesn't matter if it's 4" or 12", she wanted outside and had a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I wasn't quite sure which of whicj thread to post this, but....I looked up this chart on weather.gov to see if my suspicions that La Niña winters are hardly ever good for snow around here had any weight. This chart seems to support my suspicions, lol Thoughts?

It's pretty common knowledge on this board that Nina's rarely work out. Especially strong ones. Every time ENSO is heading towards a Nina you will see people bring up 95-96. Why? Because that's the only good one in the last 30 years. 2010-11 was "almost good" but we had a typical miller B screwjob in Dec. 

One thing that is absolutely necessary in any nina year to have some good chances is persistent blocking. Without that we usually torch with plenty of rain storms. Areas to the NE do MUCH better with nina's because they are northern stream dominant and miller B's are the common type of coastal. 

29 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Totally know what you mean. Many kids nowadays don't want to do hard labor for a quick buck. It's sad compared to the 70s and 80s. I would do anything. Shovel snow, rake leaves, mow lawns, spread mulch, whatever. I had a great gig on my street. I had 4 lawn in a row including mine. I would make $75 week and promptly blow it all on gas, girlfriends, cheap beer and keg parties. I was 16 at least so it wasn't like I was irresponsible or anything. 

Oddly my street is has quite a few industrious kids. A few houses up a couple teen boys bought a beat up old snow blower a couple years ago for like $20 and fixed it up. They made over $2k in 2 days after the blizzard. First they hit our street because we hadn't been plowed. As soon as a plow came they loaded up the snowblower and shovels in the back of their truck and went mobile. Came home loaded with cash. The older boy has recently become a firefighter and has every intention of working his way up to chief. I don't doubt it. He was always a really cool kid and is definitely going places. I can only hope my son keep his drive to succeed regardless of the type of work. 

All I need, is my trusty Jebman Shovel. Give me a week in upstate New York, after a 40 inch blizzard.. I'll clean that whole place up, free of snow. All the plows will be fresh out of work.

2 hours ago, ers-wxman1 said:

My gut feeling for several days was low amounts and mix for DC and points east. I never thought I would have a changeover in Ashburn at 1 am. Not only to sleet but freezing rain as well. Freezing rain is so rare climatologically in this area for Mid March let alone out here in Ashburn during a coastal storm. Sleet all the way though the Mason Dixon line equally shocking. I was expecting at least 8" of snow here and wound up with 2-3" of sleet/snow/ice slop. A colleague in Frederick county MD who lives near the MARC train POR station did receive 9.5" but well north and west. Snow forecasting can really humble  us all. 

That storm had so much energy, so much moisture and one hell of a massive warm nose. Who would ever have thought it would sleet so far north and west?

I was doing so well with heavy snow for 20 minutes, in pure snowy bliss, then came the sleet. That was some of the heaviest sleet I have ever experienced! That made for a jebwalk for the ages. then we got ZR'd to death. So, I got to enjoy 2 inches of wet snow, then over an inch worth of huge sleet balls and freezing rain lol.

If only I could be up in upstate NY right now where they are getting all that deep fresh snow, 3 inches an hour for hours and hours and hours and hours........I'd be diggin and diggin and diggin all of that deep snow so much, and piling it up so high, and putting all the plows and industrial snowblowers out of work into a full blown economic depression lol. And all would be right in the world.

12 minutes ago, Jebman said:

That storm had so much energy, so much moisture and one hell of a massive warm nose. Who would ever have thought it would sleet so far north and west?

I was doing so well with heavy snow for 20 minutes, in pure snowy bliss, then came the sleet. That was some of the heaviest sleet I have ever experienced! That made for a jebwalk for the ages. then we got ZR'd to death. So, I got to enjoy 2 inches of wet snow, then over an inch worth of huge sleet balls and freezing rain lol.

If only I could be up in upstate NY right now where they are getting all that deep fresh snow, 3 inches an hour for hours and hours and hours and hours........I'd be diggin and diggin and diggin all of that deep snow so much, and piling it up so high, and putting all the plows and industrial snowblowers out of work into a full blown economic depression lol. And all would be right in the world.

3"/hr rates of wet snow would be a lot of fun. I'd bet the flakes are the size of lawn chairs under the heaviest bands ;-). 

1 minute ago, ers-wxman1 said:

3"/hr rates of wet snow would be a lot of fun. I'd bet the flakes are the size of lawn chairs under the heaviest bands ;-). 

I would LOVE to personally experience 3 inch an hour rates. I'd be blasting 70s music and enjoying an EPIC, EPIC jebwalk! And, I'd have a Jebman Shovel over one shoulder during the jebwalk :) And I'd be digging lots of snow! And praying super hard that the storm would stack up and stall out for a week.

22 minutes ago, mattie g said:

This storm really kinda sucked.

It was pretty lame here but I also think people's expectations may have been too high given the date.  Even during 93 with an arctic intrusion we flipped to sleet.  Idk enough about Synoptics but I just think we didn't have a strong enough high to the north.  Like i said before that se wind was probably an overlooked clue...or not...but the setup defintely didn't seem right even with the decent antecedent airmass.

7 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

My 12 year old son headed out at 9AM looking for shoveling work. He just walked in red faced and tired with $115 in his hand. Proud dad right here. Reminds me of my youth. I would shovel until my arms wanted to fall off then immediately blow all the money I made at the arcade and pizza shop. lol 

I'm gonna give away my age here, but when we were kids we would "borrow" a shopping cart from the local grocery, walk up and down every road we could find picking up glass soda bottles.  This was when there was a deposit on every bottle.  We would pack that cart full.  We'd get about $6 or $7 dollars, head over to a great diner, and it was cheeseburgers and pinball all afternoon.  Of course, a cheeseburger was 35 cents, fries were 25 cents as was a drink.  Pinball was 5 balls, 5 games for a quarter.  Good times.

NEW YORK        Rain here about 5'' of crap

...BROOME COUNTY...
   ENDWELL               33.5   804 PM  3/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   WEST CORNERS          31.0   525 PM  3/14  FIRE DEPT/RESCUE 
   PORT CRANE            30.0   627 PM  3/14  FACEBOOK
   2 W ENDICOTT          29.0   643 PM  3/14  NEAR TRI-CITIES AIRPORT
   1 SE MEADOWBROOKE ES  28.9   719 PM  3/14  COCORAHS
   2 SSE WHITNEY POINT   28.9   703 PM  3/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   NWS BINGHAMTON        28.8   758 PM  3/14  NWS OFFICE
   BROOKVALE             27.9   640 PM  3/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   WINDSOR               27.0   500 PM  3/14  AMATEUR RADIO
   2 SSE CHENANGO FORKS  26.5   625 PM  3/14  AMATEUR RADIO