• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 13-14 Storm Nowcasting/Obs

nj2va

I was actually really surprised by the amount of freezing rain I got. I only probably got about 2" of sleet/snow but I got enough freezing to bring down quite a few trees and branches. I can't remember ever getting significant freezing rain or any freezing at all from a coastal storm. Pretty disappointing considering the forecast a couple days ago.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I measured 4" of snow last night before going to sleep then cleared off the area I measure, a sheltered area at the corner of my pool deck.  Then this morning there was another 3.5" most of which was sleet.  This afternoon another 3" has accumulated from the wrap around snow showers.  So that is 10.5 from the 3 separate measurements, however there was never a snow depth over 9" due to the sleet compacting the snow under and the general compacting that continues.  But its about the thickest 9".  Its still snowing pretty good from this thin band that's sitting over me, maybe I can tack on another inch. 

It was a bit of a letdown after forecasts were for 12-18".  But I can't complain compared to what happened just south of me.  Really sucks this didnt work out better.  I wonder how much all that warm water in the gulf and off the east coast contributed to the extra surge of the warm layer and the last minute adjustments west with the track.  In the end perhaps the timing was just off.  The vort Sunday was 24 hours too soon and the vort tuesday was 12 hours too late with the blocking breaking down and the 50/50 vacating.  

It's hard to get a good estimate of the total snowfall with all of the blowing and compacting, and I don't measure as well as carefully as some people here.  I had about 2 1/8" last night when the sleet started.  This morning I had about 3.7", but I suspect a lot of the snow from last night had compacted and I probably got over 2" of sleet.  It's still lightly snowing and 29 degrees here, and I think I got a little less than 1" from today's snow.  So I'm going with 4.5-ish inches, but it's possible I got more.  My current snowpack is less than 4". 

I had about 3" on the driveway when I shoveled it, but it was a heavy 3".

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I measured 4" of snow last night before going to sleep then cleared off the area I measure, a sheltered area at the corner of my pool deck.  Then this morning there was another 3.5" most of which was sleet.  This afternoon another 3" has accumulated from the wrap around snow showers.  So that is 10.5 from the 3 separate measurements, however there was never a snow depth over 9" due to the sleet compacting the snow under and the general compacting that continues.  But its about the thickest 9".  Its still snowing pretty good from this thin band that's sitting over me, maybe I can tack on another inch. 

It was a bit of a letdown after forecasts were for 12-18".  But I can't complain compared to what happened just south of me.  Really sucks this didnt work out better.  I wonder how much all that warm water in the gulf and off the east coast contributed to the extra surge of the warm layer and the last minute adjustments west with the track.  In the end perhaps the timing was just off.  The vort Sunday was 24 hours too soon and the vort tuesday was 12 hours too late with the blocking breaking down and the 50/50 vacating.  

Did marginally better then you. Roughly 10 in max snowfall depth. Besides the amount of sleet I saw, I was really surprised on the duration of the low ratio snow we saw through the brunt of the storm. Very icy snow clocking in probably around 7-1, 8-1 ratios. And 2 hours of shoveling that mess was a major chore with its very high water content.

Performed my snowblower duties for family this afternoon.  My last stop was the Walkersville area just NE of Frederick.  Noticed the snow squall on radar and decided to head home over the catoctins and I wasn't disappointed.  Driving up RT 15 almost to thurmont was an impressive scene.  3/4 mile vis with whipping winds off the farm fields which were creating snow devils. Looked like mid Jan out there today.  Getting back toward Boosboro several back roads are covered in spots due to drifting.

The 8" that fell here has melted/settled to about 5-6".  At least it was perfect sledding snow for the kids this morning. 

It's hard to shift gears back to nothing to track.

5 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Didn't change to sleet here till 430 or so. I measured 9.5 " early this morning.  It compacted to 6.5 -7 " by afternoon.  Got 1" total from the afternoon band. I'll take it. Probably an easy 15+ with no changeover. 

I'm going to go with 9 for my final total.

3 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I always enjoy the photos of your home.  It always looks so warm and inviting.

Snowing again here.

Thats nice of you to say!  We were intentional about building (remodeling) for that since we've been foster parents for 17 years now.  Last thing you want is to have scared kids roll up to a spooky place in the cut.

Temps here are down to 26.1F and the winds are howling from NNW18G42.  All the sleet has glaciated into concrete and the plowed and salted roads are now ice covered.

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

It's all about the kids..right. When mine were little we would sled for hours. 

18z says don't put that shovel away yet. 2-5"  mean snowfall DC to Pa line:ph34r:

Kids had a blast...I don't think sled riding gets old no matter your age. What gets old at this age is walking back up the hill!

The most "wintry" feeling night of the winter.  23f with a fresh snowpack...NW wind with frequent gusts to 30+ creating mini roof blizzards in the floodlights. 

46 minutes ago, Deck Pic said:

This is the highest impact small event since 2/14/07. Higher impact than 2/11/06. Downtown, it looks like we had a 6-8" event. So in that sense it is pretty cool. If we had a high ratio 3" event, it would have mostly disappeared today under a mid march sun with temps in the upper 30s. 

I noticed the same thing as I drove around today about how it appeared we had a bigger event. Is that because of all the sleet? 

2 minutes ago, TJ3 said:

I noticed the same thing as I drove around today about how it appeared we had a bigger event. Is that because of all the sleet? 

Yes. Notice the other event he referred to--- the last 2"+ sleet bomb we experienced. That sleet-pack had to be removed with special equipment in parking lots all across the area once it froze over solid. So much liquid equivalent packed in.

Its FREEZING COLD out with northerly wind gusts well over 40 mph. Everything is frozen solid. I jebwalked over the sleetpack, I felt like I was traversing the Khumbu Ice Fall. It feels like mid January out there, and looks it too. Surreal, with grass in some places 12 inches tall and flowering trees all over.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived