Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 13-14 Storm Nowcasting/Obs

nj2va

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just measured the liquid equivalent of precip. I got 1.4", including the afternoon flurries. If anyone else has done the same, let me know.

A few implications:

Ratio was about 2.3 to 1. 

If we had actually had snow all night, the double digit totals would have verified.

RAP and HRRR were way too wet. 

47 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

i am also remembering one in 2013 or 2014 on or near St. Patrick's Day.  or misremembering.

You are correct, Trix.  It was 2014.  I measured 3.5" in that one.  You may have done better in that storm.  Can't recall if you were already in C' Town by then.

4 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

You are correct, Trix.  It was 2014.  I measured 3.5" in that one.  You may have done better in that storm.  Can't recall if you were already in C' Town by then.

We had about 10 inches in that storm in Fairfax.  It was perfect.  The roads melted pretty quickly, but it was a great storm for mid March.

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Got back in a while ago from my third and final jebwalk. That last band was very nice, but didn't add to totals. Water everywhere. Icing took down a blossoming tree branch :( 

I did better than expected. I think that prolonged period of PL++++++ early this morning and temps holding well below freezing helped a lot. 

58c83b537c5f7_Treedown.jpg.bd47295fc8076e0b11f8b6e291fbfdd4.jpg

IMG_7822.thumb.jpg.f1e8a322ae385bd5f2951a6b3c44983c.jpg

Congrats! Have lots of fun digging out of that deep sleet lol

I'm a bit shocked that my small, cord-powered Sun Joe snowblower actually cut through this stuff, especially since I waited so long and the sleetsnow was so compacted.  I had to go back and forth a lot over the 1-foot berm along the garage door, but it did it.  It was throwing the stuff 20-plus feet away too.  I'm impressed.  I just wish I had gone after it earlier.

Right about 4" here (depth).

(Germantown)

the worst part of this event IMBY is that the few hours of snow we received was at night, so i mean, you can't really enjoy that too much.  it was nice to see some snow shower activity today, though.

the reasoning above is why that feb 2015 storm is one of my favorites.  it overachieved and snowed that saturday from sun up to sun down before flipping to sleet way later than expected.  dropped about 8" here.  that was one of my favorite events here aside from the biggies.

8 minutes ago, Jebman said:

How much sleet did you get, on a level?

I measured 2.25" of snow before the sleet hit. I ended up with 5.5" on my deck table after picking up 0.75" in the last deathband. So around 2.5" of sleet. I have no idea how to properly measure sleet. I just stuck a ruler in the snow last night and let it pile up. 

All around my house under the gutters were the large piles of sleet that rolled off the roof. Most were 10-12" but in one corner was the 20" pile. IT WAS HEAVY!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived