Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 13-14 Storm Nowcasting/Obs

nj2va

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, mappy said:

Congrats. Been sleeting here since 3am. Measured 4-5" in many spots.

Seriously?  I can't believe that.  I have gone technology free since it started but totally expected big snow reports out of your area.

Damn shame.  I feel bad for a lot of folks in our area.  Hopefully everyone found some enjoyment in this.

1 hour ago, Kingstonian said:

2.4" of mostly sleet measured on my snow board and submitted for a spotter report just now in SSW Franconia/Kingstowne; didn't make it out to do a proper measurement before the snow flipped to sleet last night, but it wasn't much.

Still light sleet here when I was out measuring.  29/29 on the nearby wxbug.

Less than 1/16" of an inch since I measured 2 hours ago; looks like 2.4" will be my total for SSW Franconia/Kingstowne, as it's time to go to work.

Closest wxbug still at 31, while the second closest is at 33.  

11 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Somebody tell me Philly got screwed.  Please.

Oh it's bad for Philly and NYC, real bad.  I went on the other subs and NWS sites to see what's going on:

Philly:  Quote from a poster:  "...after 5 hours of sleet looks like we are about to get a dry slot. that should just about be the nail in our coffin. 4.5". 18 to 24 forecasted downgraded to 12 to 16" after the storm began. what a joke."

NYC:  from area forecast disco:  "Storm racing NNE faster than expected - pushing warmer air aloft in faster than expected as well. Low is near Ocean City MD (just inland) at 12z. Based on this - have cancelled all winter headlines for Long Island, except N Nassau. Have changed NYC, along with N Nassau, Hudson and coastal SE CT to a winter weather advisory."  (They had been under a blizzard warning for 12-24")

Boston:  still under WSW but forecast high of 35 with snow changing to sleet then rain this afternoon.

Just now, BlizzardNole said:

Oh it's bad for Philly and NYC, real bad.  I went on the other subs and NWS sites to see what's going on:

Philly:  Quote from a poster:  "...after 5 hours of sleet looks like we are about to get a dry slot. that should just about be the nail in our coffin. 4.5". 18 to 24 forecasted downgraded to 12 to 16" after the storm began. what a joke."

NYC:  from area forecast disco:  "Storm racing NNE faster than expected - pushing warmer air aloft in faster than expected as well. Low is near Ocean City MD (just inland) at 12z. Based on this - have cancelled all winter headlines for Long Island, except N Nassau. Have changed NYC, along with N Nassau, Hudson and coastal SE CT to a winter weather advisory."  (They had been under a blizzard warning for 12-24")

Boston:  still under WSW but forecast high of 35 with snow changing to sleet then rain this afternoon.

yep...Sister 25 miles NNW of Philly was under blizzard warning and has been getting heavy sleet for hours now.

2 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

It's a wobble 

3 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

funny SPC analysis posted very early this morning remarked how sleet would fall in major cities 40n, all due to track of low inland of hatteras, it wasnt supposed to.

1.9" at BWI, 1.7" at DCA, 4.8" at IAD.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=LWX&product=PNS

Nice totals for HoCo:

...HOWARD COUNTY...
   1 SSE SIMPSONVILLE     4.7   700 AM  3/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   2 N COLUMBIA           4.4   900 AM  3/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   COLUMBIA               4.0   600 AM  3/14  NWS EMPLOYEE
   1 ENE COLUMBIA         3.0   700 AM  3/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   1 N SAVAGE             2.8   800 AM  3/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   ELKRIDGE               2.4   838 AM  3/14  NWS EMPLOYEE

Just now, WxUSAF said:

1.9" at BWI, 1.7" at DCA, 4.8" at IAD.