SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 13-14 Storm Nowcasting/Obs

nj2va

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two inches of snow and a boatload of sleet since 2AM. Hrrr says I stay sleet for several more hours before a narrow band of snow sets up over the 95 corridor for several hours into the afternoon. I'm not expecting much out of daytime snow this time of the year but it would be nice to freshen up the skating rink outside.

Just now, nw baltimore wx said:

Two inches of snow and a boatload of sleet since 2AM. Hrrr says I stay sleet for several more hours before a narrow band of snow sets up over the 95 corridor for several hours into the afternoon. I'm not expecting much out of daytime snow this time of the year but it would be nice to freshen up the skating rink outside.

Dude, it's pouring sleet even up here. Hoping it changes back to all snow so we aren't outside playing on a glacier haha 

Sleeted all night in Germantown.  It was hard to sleep with the wind blowing that stuff into the siding and windows.  Looks like about 3.5" or so (LWX PNS has a 3" ob from Germantown at 3:55 am so that's probably about right).  Really hoping for a nice period of snow later but I doubt we get more than a dusting.

What a gut punch after 8-12" predicted soon before the start.  If only that damn low had bombed just a little east.

1 minute ago, mappy said:

Dude, it's pouring sleet even up here. Hoping it changes back to all snow so we aren't outside playing on a glacier haha 

Yup, been sleeting pretty hard up here near Coatesville for several hours. Wind just started to pick up. Might have maybe 3 inches of combined precip on the ground.

The whole orientation of the precip field is kind of weird with this storm. It seems like it is tilted in a more N/S direction. Normally with the storms current position I would expect to see banding pushing in from the east instead of from the west like it os now. An interesting storm regardless.

27/27. Heavy snow

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It's beautiful to watch. 

I also see from reports here and at DCA that surface temperatures are dropping. Think we can hold or continue that trend?

Between the dynamic cooling from vigorous synoptic-scale lift to the low starting to pivot east, I think it'll be enough to at least hold surface temps steady for time being. Sun coming up soon makes it tough to keep dropping, at least until Arctic air drops south and east.

2 minutes ago, mappy said:

Lol

I'm playing the wrong odds hoping the hrrr is wrong about the duration of sleet and right about the narrow band of snow for the three or four hours later.

Hopefully you change back to snow soon.

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Lol

I'm playing the wrong odds hoping the hrrr is wrong about the duration of sleet and right about the narrow band of snow for the three or four hours later.

Hopefully you change back to snow soon.

It is what it is. I expected a little bit of sleet but not this much. I won't see much more in terms of accumulation once the sun is up. Places west and north into PA are doing quite well. Saw a report of 8" in Frederick. 10" up in Harrisburg PA 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived