Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13-14, The Blizzard of 2017: Obs

Rtd208

25 minutes ago, tim said:

same here but there is nothing to measure out here..saw state plows plowing water on montauk

highway..wtf?

Wow nothing? I'm eyeballing about 2 inches here, it's all rain-soaked now.

Winds have really taken off here, it sounds like I'm in a wind tunnel.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, LovingGulfLows said:

Wow that death band that is set up from SE PA to Northern NJ looks insanely impressive...I wonder what the rates are in that band...3-4" per hour?

It's gotten be close to the. Measured just under two inches in about 30 minutes.

6 minutes ago, LovingGulfLows said:

Wow that death band that is set up from SE PA to Northern NJ looks insanely impressive...I wonder what the rates are in that band...3-4" per hour?

The radar reflectivities are a little deceptive.  Yes the coastal band is producing intense precip with heavy snow on the NW side, but the heaviest snowfall rates are currently occurring in NE PA and the southern tier of NY near BGM.

The radar is picking up large, rimed aggregates, graupel, and sleet in the coastal band.

8 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Serious snow looks to be done for us. PB thinks we change to rain.

Oh well.  Sad to think just 24 hours ago the only debate was whether to use 10:1 or 15:1 ratios due to expected winds.  Regardless, this wind-driven sleet storm is so intense I don't think the public will view this as a true bust. It's clearly a big, nasty storm.  There won't be the same recriminations as there were in January 2015 or March 2001.  At least, there was a storm and dangerous travel conditions. 

3 minutes ago, nzucker said:

That's actually an incredibly heavy band…I'm right in it in southern Westchester. We've been sowing 2-3"/hr for a while. I'm all snow, and I'd guess I have close to 10". Getting absolutely crushed here.

Yeah on the northern end but if this was all snow it would be dark greens and a stripe of yellow most likely.

Archived