Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13-14, The Blizzard of 2017: Obs

Rtd208

6 minutes ago, uncle W said:

when I woke up this morning with sleet falling and a temperature of 31 I thought it was over...But the temp stayed steady all day and that made the event more palatable...

Absolutely. The 4-5 inches of sleet saved the day. It never rained and we ended with a respectable accumulation.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not nearly as disappointed as I should be. Woke up just in time to see the biggest snowflakes I've ever seen, went to Central Park and got to enjoy the snow and then the sting of ice pellets on my face, watched the most sleet I've ever seen, and ended with another walk in Central Park during the snowstorm at the end of the day. 

It wasn't 20+'', but at least it was interesting. 

1 hour ago, snywx said:

Im talking up in Putnam county. NAM showed it yesterday during its 18z run. I think most knew up to HPN ran the risk but it went up to Mahopac maybe even southern Dutchess for a bit.

Part of eastern Orange briefly mixed too.  But mixing wasn't really the problem.  It was the result of the best lift and QPF - and the whole storm - ending up pretty far NW.

7 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The Binghamton area still under heavy snow. Some totals there have to be approaching 3 feet.

That place is getting buried. Hopefully we can see the totals later tonight or tomorrow. It's 12 degrees too, so their ratios under not so gusty winds must be getting some amazing ratios

5 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

That place is getting buried. Hopefully we can see the totals later tonight or tomorrow. It's 12 degrees too, so their ratios under not so gusty winds must be getting some amazing ratios

NEW YORK

...BROOME COUNTY...
   ENDWELL               33.5   804 PM  3/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   WEST CORNERS          31.0   525 PM  3/14  FIRE DEPT/RESCUE
   PORT CRANE            30.0   627 PM  3/14  FACEBOOK
   2 W ENDICOTT          29.0   643 PM  3/14  NEAR TRI-CITIES AIRPORT
   1 SE MEADOWBROOKE ES  28.9   719 PM  3/14  COCORAHS
   2 SSE WHITNEY POINT   28.9   703 PM  3/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   NWS BINGHAMTON        28.8   758 PM  3/14  NWS OFFICE
   BROOKVALE             27.9   640 PM  3/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   WINDSOR               27.0   500 PM  3/14  AMATEUR RADIO
   2 SSE CHENANGO FORKS  26.5   625 PM  3/14  AMATEUR RADIO
   JOHNSON CITY          25.0   620 PM  3/14  AMATEUR RADIO
   VESTAL                25.0   620 PM  3/14  AMATEUR RADIO
   BINGHAMTON            24.5   722 PM  3/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   NANTICOKE             24.0   433 PM  3/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   1 NW JOHNSON CITY     23.0   418 PM  3/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   1 NW PARK TERRACE     22.5   523 PM  3/14  COCORAHS

59 minutes ago, ny10019 said:

not nearly as disappointed as I should be. Woke up just in time to see the biggest snowflakes I've ever seen, went to Central Park and got to enjoy the snow and then the sting of ice pellets on my face, watched the most sleet I've ever seen, and ended with another walk in Central Park during the snowstorm at the end of the day. 

It wasn't 20+'', but at least it was interesting. 

Went to sleep last night hoping for the best but woke up to find we'd changed over to sleet already.  Never actually got to see a flake until tonight.  Been spoiled to say the least on LI the last decade and a half.  Growing up it seemed this was how every storm went.  I'd get rain, my relatives in NW Jersey would get a foot of snow.

That blizzard map someone posted is amazing.  Over a dozen blizzard warnings in E LI, and >8 in Nassau over the past 15 years?  Can't say it ever gets old.

Anyway, if LI got 2 feet in March I'm not sure what other 'firsts' we'd have left, so gives us something to shoot for next year (or who knows, maybe this month.)

Just now, coastalplainsnowman said:

Went to sleep last night hoping for the best but woke up to find we'd changed over to sleet already.  Never actually got to see a flake until tonight.  Been spoiled to say the least on LI the last decade and a half.  Growing up it seemed this was how every storm went.  I'd get rain, my relatives in NW Jersey would get a foot of snow.

That blizzard map someone posted is amazing.  Over a dozen blizzard warnings in E LI, and >8 in Nassau over the past 15 years?  Can't say it ever gets old.

Anyway, if LI got 2 feet in March I'm not sure what other 'firsts' we'd have left, so gives us something to shoot for next year (or who knows, maybe this month.)

I like the way you think. 

I enjoyed this storm. It's not what I had hoped for, but it looks like winter outside. Not a drop of rain, and the freezing temperatures tonight will ensure a nice post-storm snowpack tomorrow.

I will say though, just 24 hours ago, I enraged another poster for calling 8-14". Why are people so mean to each other leading up to an event? Common, let people forecast, let people state their reasoning. If it's sound, inquire. If it's bull, ignore them. No need to put each other down. I'm proud of staying below guidance this time around. Sometimes, that bites me in the ass. But most of us have good reason for saying what we do on here. Forecasting shouldn't come down to peer pressure.

...can't win 'em all.

had about 1" of snow by 6am on tuesday..turned over very quickly and perseeded to

rain all day..by early evening we had some light snows in the wraparound and ended

up with a dusting.

not sure about anyone else but i'm ready for spring..

Archived