Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 13-14, The Blizzard of 2017: Obs

Rtd208

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, snywx said:

Yeah I think it had a 975 mb barreling into E CT. 

That it did. It was either Sat 12z or Sun 0z. The UK was by far the best global. NAM and RGEM won in the mesoscale division (at least track wise). I think all models struggled with the thermal profiles but hey, what do I know? I thought this storm was gonna go SE on Saturday  :axe:

8 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

That it did. It was either Sat 12z or Sun 0z. The UK was by far the best global. NAM and RGEM won in the mesoscale division (at least track wise). I think all models struggled with the thermal profiles but hey, what do I know? I thought this storm was gonna go SE on Saturday  :axe:

Parts of the HV east of the river mixed.. I don't think there was 1 person who thought that was gonna happen.

9 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

No. Ukie had quite a few later bad runs.

5 minutes ago, snywx said:

Im talking up in Putnam county. NAM showed it yesterday during its 18z run. I think most knew up to HPN ran the risk but it went up to Mahopac maybe even southern Dutchess for a bit.

700low went up that way changing the snow to sleet for them. My cousin lives in mahopac and she reported 22 inches so that wasn't so bad. I still don't get how each part of the atmosphere has a low I need to study this stuff a bit more for next winter.

34 minutes ago, Morris said:

No. Ukie had quite a few later bad runs.

I'm sorry but not one model had the low slamming into CT except the UK albeit it was one run I think. It consistently showed a closer to the coast track in the mid-range/short-range when the other globals were east of it. It wasn't perfect but out of all the globals it did perform the best IMO

29 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

700low went up that way changing the snow to sleet for them. My cousin lives in mahopac and she reported 22 inches so that wasn't so bad. I still don't get how each part of the atmosphere has a low I need to study this stuff a bit more for next winter.

Think of the atmosphere in 3D, it's not so much that there is one low above another above another so much as all these "depressions" in the atmosphere on top of one another, or not so much on top of one another for that matter. This is where we get terms like vertically stacked lows from, each one in each layer is not so separate from one another but rather a function of the other.

When all the layers are vertically stacked the low begins to occlude as the "warm" and "cold" parts have caught up to one another and there is no more entrance or exit region so the low begins to die as it's moisture source now becomes depleted.

This is very simplistic wording of this process but hopefully if you can envision looking from the top of the atmosphere down to picture how it is working it may begin to help you visualize this process.

Archived