Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 13-14, The Blizzard of 2017: Obs

Rtd208

41 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

In this type of setup had the low tracked about 50 miles further SE we'd be talking widespread 20"+ in most areas.

And it would have been easier to deal with. I got stuck in the street trying to clean the driveway, got plowed in took 4 people to push me out. Can't shovel or snowblow the thick slush at the end of the driveway. Don't know how anyone will get out. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Wasn't March 2001 one of the analogs for this storm? Looks like the disappointments aren't too far off. 

Everyone thought this would eventually trend east but phased monster storms like this always do the opposite. We can't win them all but hey most of us were able to hit our seasonal totals despite a record warm winter.

We are still short by about 4 inches. A normal snow year for 1980's.....Same kinds of snows too.

If expectations for much of the area had been tempered it would have been a decent storm in an otherwise pitiful year. Or, if we had had numerous ones like it. But it looked like we might get the big one and well, the areas that did well, while having been shafted in recent years, are kinda the places when I was a kid that got this kind of thing. Actually even they didn't see too many storms over a foot IIRC. 

2 different reports of an #Avalanche in Falls Township in Tunkhannock, PA. Route 92 closed. #PAWX

https://mobile.twitter.com/NWSBinghamton/status/841713643783876608?p=v

0236 PM     HEAVY SNOW       1 NNE GLEN LYON         41.20N 76.06W
03/14/2017  U20.0 INCH       LUZERNE            PA   TRAINED SPOTTER

ROOF COLLAPSE. PEOPLE TRAPPED IN HOUSE.
...WAYNE COUNTY...
   DAMASCUS              30.0   148 PM  3/14  TRAINED SPOTTER

15 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Wow that's impressive! I'm a few towns down Rt. 304 in Bergen County and am eyeballing 7-8. I'm assuming I lost and inch or two to compaction of the 4 hours of heavy sleet we had. Had that been snow like the models were showing, we would of gotten to 18" IMO. Very juicy system, the mid-levels were just too warm too far north.  

Montvale was over 10" at 10 am on the pns. You sure you eyeballed while standing straight up? Lol

3 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Low just about over Westhampton. Wind there is light out of the east and pressure is 979mb.

in the upper 40's out there too.  Parts of Cape cod and south of boston are well into the 40's.  Could be worse for us-if you're east of the low you really torch.

7 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

If expectations for much of the area had been tempered it would have been a decent storm in an otherwise pitiful year. Or, if we had had numerous ones like it. But it looked like we might get the big one and well, the areas that did well, while having been shafted in recent years, are kinda the places when I was a kid that got this kind of thing. Actually even they didn't see too many storms over a foot IIRC. 

I wouldn't call it a pituful year...I had four snowfalls of 4" or more in the Bronx, including 10" in Feb and 8" this March. Yes, temps were warm, but snowfall was respectable.

12 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

We are still short by about 4 inches. A normal snow year for 1980's.....Same kinds of snows too.

My 8" today gets me to about 29 inches for the winter. I believe that's just about average for this area. Not bad considering how warm this winter has been. Amazing how well we continue to do in the snowfall department despite the winters getting warmer and warmer. 

8 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

It's hard to temper expectations when most models were still giving major snows to at least NYC west and Upton was still honking as late as 7am this morning. I mean, they're supposed to be the best of the best, right? Even the RGEM still had high totals late last night (at least for this area). One thing I've leaned is to take the NAM a lot more seriously. It really nailed this super amped track. That and the UK also did very well (track wise). When it rammed the low into CT a couple of days ago I had a feeling that was bad news but it didn't really have a lot of support so I dismissed. Never, ever bet against a NAM/UK/RGEM combo I guess.

1 hour ago, nzucker said:

Do you know how much NE PA has? Like Wayne Cty?

Looks like they jacked

..WAYNE COUNTY...
   DAMASCUS              30.0   148 PM  3/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   WAYMART               27.0   136 PM  3/14  FACEBOOK
   BEACH LAKE            24.0   120 PM  3/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   6 E HAMLIN            23.5   122 PM  3/14  STORM CHASER
   HONESDALE             23.2   120 PM  3/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   HAWLEY                22.0   101 PM  3/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   STERLING              21.0  1130 AM  3/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   HAMLIN                20.1  1212 PM  3/14  TRAINED SPOTTER

9 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Montvale was over 10" at 10 am on the pns. You sure you eyeballed while standing straight up? Lol

lol yes but like I said, I eyeballed. It was a small area from inside my home at the end of the storm. Haven't ventured out but it's definitely possible that we got to double figures. My backyard doesn't measure windy storms that well at all

Wondering how much more i woulda ended up with had i not had hours of sleet. Highest depth i had was 14", and even with hours of sleet it didnt go up much from where it was as all snow. 

Sleet is 3:1 roughly in ratio vs let say 10:1. Sleet is therefore 30% of what would have been snow accumulation. At that time, the height, models were saying 4-6" and an hour. Lets make it easy and say 5" an hour. Let's say it was 5 hours. 30% of 25 is 7.5. Subtracting this from 25, I figure you lost about 17.5 inches .in other words 14 vs 31.5

3 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

It's hard to temper expectations when most models were still giving major snows to at least NYC west and Upton was still honking as late as 7am this morning. I mean, they're supposed to be the best of the best, right? Even the RGEM still had high totals late last night (at least for this area). One thing I've leaned is to take the NAM a lot more seriously. It really nailed this super amped track. That and the UK also did very well (track wise). When it rammed the low into CT a couple of days ago I had a feeling that was bad news but it didn't really have a lot of support so I dismissed. Never, ever bet against a NAM/UK/RGEM combo I guess.

Even though they're going to be using the new para NAM and no longer the 12km one any more, the 12km nailed this storm. Does anyone know if they'll be keeping it like if we'll still be able to use the 12km after the switch or will they get rid of it all together?

Archived