Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
March 13-14, The Blizzard of 2017: Obs

Rtd208

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like as the low is drifting away there's some back building going on, most likely changing the sleet to some moderate snow here in the Central Park for an hour of that. Otherwise this baby is a goner, and a buster for the city itself but you guys upstate were supposed to get 24 you'll probably get that. Hope you enjoy it, I still haven't seen one picture from you guys but I sure hope to see them soon.

4 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

It looks like as the low is drifting away there's some back building going on, most likely changing the sleet to some moderate snow here in the Central Park for an hour of that. Otherwise this baby is a goner, and a buster for the city itself but you guys upstate were supposed to get 24 you'll probably get that. Hope you enjoy it, I still haven't seen one picture from you guys but I sure hope to see them soon.

How much does Central Park have? Like 8-9"?

3 minutes ago, nzucker said:

How much does Central Park have? Like 8-9"?

i called two weeks ago for Central Park to get the biggest snow event this month I don't think it'll surpass the 9.4 inches we got earlier in the season and my 20 inch snowmap busted badly!

probably 8 inches which takes them above normal

18 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Vaguely, but more so I am remembering going to bed with the smell of snow in the air and a Heavy Snow Warning and waking up to rain.  It was a thing back in those days.  Didn't realize it could still happen.

Those were horrible years...seemed like we always got disappointed...always changed to rain. I try to explain this to my kids...we never had two blizzards in a year...let alone in a decade.

Just now, snywx said:

Intense again out there...

Heavy snow 

20.8" otg

I am happy for you guys! Glad to see the forecast worked out there.

Was just discussing with friends that while I still busted high in CNJ (I had 8 to 14), I am really pleased with the forecast thinking for NNJ 12-18/SENY18-24 areas under banding close to 2' and being the focal point for greatest accumulations. Seems to be working out really well as I am seeing lots of posters here coming in with totals very close to that range.

3 hours ago, RU848789 said:

Pretty big bust for the I-95 corridor in terms of snowfall, but not in terms of total frozen precip, at least from maybe Trenton northward, where it hasn't been rain as far as I know. I had about 7" of snow/sleet on the ground about 90 minutes ago (7.5" now, with some compaction) and I shoveled the driveway at that point and 90 min later I now have about 2" of sleet on the driveway, which is the equivalent of about 6" of snow, so I have about 13" of "snow equivalent," in terms of total frozen precip mass, even if I only have 7.5" depth (partly due to compaction - the 7" + 2" sleet did not equal 9" depth, lol), which is just as hard to shovel or plow and is just as bad on the roads - it's just not the same depth it would be if it were all snow and maybe isn't as pretty. From a meteorological perspective, snow and sleet are just counted together, as depth, so it is more of a bust from that perspective. I'm guessing we should get another inch or two of sleet (3-6" snow equivalent, which would bring us to 16-19" of "snow equivalent" mass) unless it changes to rain, although it's still just 29F, so that's unlikely - and if it does, it would be freezing rain, which the NWS warned about, which would be really bad. 

So maybe a topic for another thread: should we be "measuring" some sort of "snow equivalent" in some way?  No easy way to do it, but there ought to be a way to convey that 6" of snow and 4" of sleet is roughly the same mass as 18" of snow even if the depth would probably be maybe 8", due to compaction, not 10", as the sleet on top of the snow compacts the underlying snow significantly.  Or just convert it to liquid equivalent and then assume 10:1 to compare it to other snowstorms - problem there is then you'd always have to do this for every snowstorm to get them on the same mass basis.  In truth, snow mass is a better gauge of impact than snow depth, anyway (mass is more important than depth for shoveling and removal and is just as important for travel impacts), but I doubt it'll ever really be used, since depth is so much easier to measure.  Curious what people think.  

After it ended I measured 8 inches of snow/sleet. Taking into account that compaction happens, I'm guessing we got 9 or 9.5 here. So pretty close to what you measured. Quite a storm, even though it was a bust in the snowfall department. 

6 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

I am happy for you guys! Glad to see the forecast worked out there.

Was just discussing with friends that while I still busted high in CNJ (I had 8 to 14), I am really pleased with the forecast thinking for NNJ 12-18/SENY18-24 areas under banding close to 2' and being the focal point for greatest accumulations. Seems to be working out really well as I am seeing lots of posters here coming in with totals very close to that range.

So far a general 18-22" has fallen throughout this area. Im sure some locations in NE PA must have close to 30" 

15 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I thought it was more like 4-6 lol

Central Park should have something like 8". Sleet falls at 3-1 ratio so if 1.3 or so fell that's close to 4" of sleet, then maybe the first 0.40" or so fell as snow this morning at 10-1 snow ratio (maybe bad snow growth put it under 10-1 but regardless if there was no rain there, totals should be at least 7"). 

Archived