Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 13-14, The Blizzard of 2017: Obs

Rtd208

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ict1523 said:

Eyeballing about 6-7" here in the South Bronx. A light to moderate snow/graupel mix continues to fall with gusty winds, but nothing major, probably gusting into the mid 30s. 

Never went to rain or above freezing here. Had the upper levels stayed colder, totals could have been much higher. Still, a respectable mid March winter storm.

Yeah my feelings are kind of torn between 'this was a bust' and 'this was mildly interesting'. I'm certain I would have been 'very excited' had we been progged to get 3-6 inches of slop in mid-March. So it goes. 

12 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

I still thought this thing would close off about our latitude, and everyone would win. But h5 isn't cooperating as it's not quite negative yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

It's weird how comprehensive off all the guidance was.  The storm is simultaneously west of modeled tracks, but the pattern is more progressive and it's a late phase.  Weird.

6 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

Yeah my feelings are kind of torn between 'this was a bust' and 'this was mildly interesting'. I'm certain I would have been 'very excited' had we been progged to get 3-6 inches of slop in mid-March. So it goes. 

I did see some incredibly heavy sleet, Heaviest since 1/27/11. And also the largest snowflakes I've ever seen. If you can even call them flakes when they're that big

6 minutes ago, Drz1111 said:

It's weird how comprehensive off all the guidance was.  The storm is simultaneously west of modeled tracks, but the pattern is more progressive and it's a late phase.  Weird.

What we should have probably taken into account earlier was the extreme STJ. That raced pretty well out ahead of the northern stream energy and thanks to the steering pattern as doorman posted it gave it a clear shot to move almost due north along the coastline, had the southern stream energy hung back even a little bit the northern stream would have caught up and not only made the phase but aided in pushing things further east, instead we see a partial phase and a northern stream piece of energy that slung shot this right up the coast along the steering pattern in place at that time.

6 minutes ago, Drz1111 said:

actually it ticks off all the boxes with how the season has been going

1) all storms ended up farther west than originally progged, that's how we did well in the Jan and Feb storms

2) the pattern has been progressive all season

3) all the phases have been late and sloppy and occurred at a higher latitude

4 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

What I should have probably taken into account earlier was the extreme STJ. That raced pretty well out ahead of the northern stream energy and thanks to the steering pattern as doorman posted it gave it a clear shot to move almost due north along the coastline, had the southern stream energy hung back even a little bit the northern stream would have caught up and not only made the phase but aided in pushing things further east, instead we see a partial phase and a northern stream piece of energy that slung shot this right up the coast along the steering pattern in place at that time.

JP this storm ticks off all the boxes for how the season was going.  As I've told others, the coast jackpots when storms that are progged to be well out to sea trend westward and are hits.  That's what happened in Jan and Feb.  I got two 10" snowstorms out of that.  The problem happens when storms are progged to hit you well in advance, they also trend westward.  Also, the pattern has been progressive all season long so no reason for it to stop now.

got one last burst of heavy snow and sleet but looks like Stella is done IMBY.....sky is brightening and the sun wants to come out. Got about 4.5 inches of snow and about 6 hours of mixed bag mainly sleet. Big bust as I was forecasted 18-24 inches

Where are you?

12 minutes ago, USCG RS said:

Wow.

8 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Have around 15" OTG now. It was tough shoveling out there before. Had some pingers mixed in. Drysloted now. I'm about 1.5 miles s/e of KSWF 

The last time I had hourly obs like that was Boxing Day 2010.

Archived