Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 13-14, The Blizzard of 2017: Obs

Rtd208

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Cfa said:

Rain/sleet here. Haven't went out and measured yet.

Been at/above freezing for the past 2 hours.

same here but there is nothing to measure out here..saw state plows plowing water on montauk

highway..wtf?

1 minute ago, Manny said:

Was All snow, then snow/sleet, now bigger flakes again. This battle between Snow and sleet is making for some fairly nasty conditions out there. Winds are pretty good, and walking in that heavy mix is tough. Still looks awesome! 

Same here. Currently sleet is making a surge north re: duo 

NWS in Upton just dropped/reduced most of the winter weather headlines for NYC eastward.  from 18-24" in Orange/Putnam/WPassaic to 2-4" in Suffolk County and just a WWAdvisory for NYC.  Sucks.  

National Weather Service New York NY
814 AM EDT Tue Mar 14 2017

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...
Storm racing NNE faster than expected - pushing warmer air aloft
in faster than expected as well. Low is near Ocean City MD (just
inland) at 12z.

Based on this - have cancelled all winter headlines for
Long Island, except N Nassau. Have changed NYC, along with N
Nassau, Hudson and coastal SE CT to a winter weather advisory.
Converted interior SE CT, coastal SW CT, S Westchester and E
portions of NE NJ to a Winter Storm Warning. Blizzard warning
remains in effect elsewhere.

Snow totals remain 18-24 inches across Orange, Putnam and W
Passaic down to 2 to 4 inches across Suffolk County (already
has fallen). Expect rain to push into advisory areas this
morning and a change over to sleet and possibly rain in Winter
Storm warning areas. SE portions of Blizzard Warning area could
see some sleet mix in as well.

50 minutes ago, RU848789 said:

I've given up trying to predict this storm, but I just shoveled for the 2nd time today in the middle of 20 minutes of maybe the heaviest snow, especially with regard to giant half-dollar sized aggregated flakes, I've ever seen.  Was about 5.5" when it started (sleet had compacted the 5.5" of snow I had before that) and was 6.5" 20 min later - that's 3" per hour.  Now back to a 50-50 mix of snow/sleet, but very heavy.  Maybe we can get to 12" here if this keeps up.  

It's all heavy sleet now. Not gonna get the job done. I went out and cleaned because I am not getting injured cleaning rain infused sleet and snow. Aaaand the lights just flickered

19 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

All out snowstorm here - 1/8 mile visibility.  8" OTG.  Winds backed around to the NE over the past 1 - 2 hours.  Doing the dance with that sleet line which is being held back about 20 - 30 miles south of me.  25 / 24

Meh 15 miles south in Quakertown been 90% sleet since 5am

Currently sleet and 24.1F

You want to know how impossible a storm like this was to forecast for the city? All of the models print out precip types that often verify but are still inaccurate. Regular radar returns have shown snow for Queens for the past two hours, but it's been sleet. So technically, the models were right - they simply lack the sophistication to see these micro-level atmospheric phenomena. Of course, that's where forecasting comes into play.

1 minute ago, TheSnowman said:

Why isn't anyone talking about HOW many inches per hour were in this??  This has to be THE Most Impressive Radar I've Ever seen in a snowstorm, even more the Deathband of the Blizzard of 2013 in CT.  

image.jpeg

because it is mostly sleet in most of NJ right now...heavy sleet

2 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

Why isn't anyone talking about HOW many inches per hour were in this??  This has to be THE Most Impressive Radar I've Ever seen in a snowstorm, even more the Deathband of the Blizzard of 2013 in CT.  

image.jpeg

I posted. I am southern tip of morris county. I got 1 inch in 13 min. Then it flipped to sleet. It shows snow on all radars but its mainly heavy sleet.

https://www.wunderground.com/weather-radar/united-states/nj/gillette/dix/?lat=40.66999817&lon=-74.47000122&label=Gillette%2c NJ

29 minutes ago, husky0101 said:

but at the same time, don't you have a feeling that the nws is overreacting? Latest HRRR run shows NYC and points west will remain frozen precip still with 12"+ accumulations

I dunno. We had sleet here for an hour or two in Tarrytown ... nw of NYC in Westchester. That could cut our totals down. Will have to wait and see.

Archived