Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 13-14, The Blizzard of 2017: Obs

Rtd208

2 minutes ago, larrye said:

I still think that you can't hug models ... especially in March. I'm not even a Met and I can sense that. Where are the people who insisted that the NAM's 30"-40" snow accums were realistic a day or so ago? Some of the models (if memory serves) also starting trending west in the past day or so ... that should have been a warning to people. And honestly, last night, Upton and the TV mets began to adjust. It's just that we didn't because we all want to see a lot of snow.

but at the same time, don't you have a feeling that the nws is overreacting? Latest HRRR run shows NYC and points west will remain frozen precip still with 12"+ accumulations

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Parterre said:

Had the same bottlecap-sized snowflakes not too long ago here on the UWS... now back down to more normal size but still falling briskly. I'm starting here a little of the tit-tat of sleet (or ice) on the window again, though. 

Reports of back to sleet now in Mid town 

4 minutes ago, Parterre said:

Had the same bottlecap-sized snowflakes not too long ago here on the UWS... now back down to more normal size but still falling briskly. I'm starting here a little of the tit-tat of sleet (or ice) on the window again, though. 

How far up are you? Mostly snow on 120 and broadway

NWS not thinking straight? They just reissued the blizzard warnings for 18-24" of snow for Somerset, Hunterdon, Upper Bucks and Upper Montco and all PA/NJ counties north of there, as per below. Ok, I can live with that if they stay snow. But how can they do that and still have Middlesex/Mercer/Monmouth and lower Bucks/Montco in a 4-10" range? Completely discontinuous. Also, note the risk of 0.1-0.2" of freezing rain in this area and down towards Philly. 

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
813 AM EDT Tue Mar 14 2017

Sussex-Warren-Morris-Hunterdon-Somerset-Carbon-Monroe-Berks-
Lehigh-Northampton-Western Chester-Western Montgomery-Upper Bucks-
Including the cities of Newton, Washington, Morristown,
Flemington, Somerville, Jim Thorpe, Stroudsburg, Reading,
Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, Honey Brook, Oxford, Collegeville,
Pottstown, Chalfont, and Perkasie

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EDT THIS
EVENING...

* LOCATIONS...Eastern Pennsylvania and northern New Jersey.

* HAZARD TYPES...Heavy snow and strong winds.

* ACCUMULATIONS...Snow accumulation of 18 to 24 inches, along
with around a trace of ice.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ

Middlesex-Western Monmouth-Eastern Monmouth-Mercer-
Eastern Chester-Eastern Montgomery-Lower Bucks-
Including the cities of New Brunswick, Freehold, Sandy Hook,
Trenton, West Chester, Kennett Square, Norristown, Lansdale,
Morrisville, and Doylestown

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EDT THIS EVENING...
...BLIZZARD WARNING IS CANCELLED...

The National Weather Service in Mount Holly has issued a Winter
Storm Warning for snow and ice, which is in effect until 6 PM EDT
this evening. The Blizzard Warning has been cancelled.

* LOCATIONS...Parts of southeastern Pennsylvania across central
New Jersey.

* HAZARD TYPES...occasionally heavy snow...sleet and freezing rain
along with strong wind to at least 45 mph.

* ACCUMULATIONS...Snow accumulation of 4 to 10 inches, along with
around a tenth or two tenths of an inch of ice.

Really nasty out. Huge flakes mixed with sleet mixed with maybe a touch of rain. When the sleet becomes somewhat dominant, it's falling as wind-driven clumbs that sting your face. Unfortunately, in the city, none of this appears to be adding to existing accumulation but is leading to compaction.  Still, was smart to cancel school. It's hard to walk in this.

Just now, Wetbulbs88 said:

I'd never pick this over a blizzard -- especially when it means a busted blizzard -- but this is pretty damn fun, like some weird form of meteorological sport. 

I like to watch the mix line move in some storms. But agree a straight blizzard is much more fun.

3 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

There should be a winter storm warning in the city straight snowing with a few lingers here in midtown.      Central Park looks like 6 inches of slop

And LGA reported 5.9" at 8am. That's already WSW criteria.

1 minute ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

I'd never pick this over a blizzard -- especially when it means a busted blizzard -- but this is pretty damn fun, like some weird form of meteorological sport. 

I think between 6 am and 7 am, I had about 6 switches between sleet and snow (I was panicking betweem each changeover lmao). Since 7:30, I've been heavy heavy snow with huge flakes (1"+ at times). The constant watching and panic has been rewarding. Actually one of the more fun storms I've ever experienced, even if the totals come up on the lower end! :D

Archived