Dano62
March 13-14, The Blizzard of 2017: Obs

Rtd208

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

Thanks.

Weird horseshoe depiction w/ the sleet rushing N. That rain in the center? 

There's def rain down there and some sleat mixed in.

There a big fight going on in the mid and low levels of the atmosphere right now. I flipped back to snow but occasionally hear sleet pinging in southern Nassau Co.

Just now, Wetbulbs88 said:

Yeah same just south of Manhattan. Puking snow up here in Harlem. 

Really, I live in Harlem. Pretty high up in a building, so have a good vantage point and usually can see for miles. So far, the visibility doesn't seem that low to me. Can still probably see lights in the distance up to a 3/4 a mile, which is surprising given the wind... Anyway, going to go down stairs and outside to check things out in case the dreaded sleet really does arrive before the best rates.

4 minutes ago, Rjay said:

There's def rain down there and some sleat mixed in.

There a big fight going on in the mid and low levels of the atmosphere right now. I flipped back to snow but occasionally hear sleet pinging in southern Nassau Co.

Yup, sounds about the same here. Occasional sleet mixing in at times 29F

2 minutes ago, real said:

Really, I live in Harlem. Pretty high up in a building, so have a good vantage point and usually can see for miles. So far, the visibility doesn't seem that low to me. Can still probably see lights in the distance up to a 3/4 a mile, which is surprising given the wind... Anyway, going to go down stairs and outside to check things out in case the dreaded sleet really does arrive before the best rates.

Admittedly my only vantage right now is my deck window but it looks pretty good and there's already a couple inches on the deck. Started at about 3AM so about 1"/hour, I expect it to go up from there. 

Totally unscientific but the beast on the precipice in me has felt since yesterday that this snow/sleet line is going to do battle right over the city and I think anyone north of the Park is in a decent spot. Let's see if there's any credence to my visceral superstitions lol. 

8 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

Admittedly my only vantage right now is my deck window but it looks pretty good and there's already a couple inches on the deck. Started at about 3AM so about 1"/hour, I expect it to go up from there. 

Totally unscientific but the beast on the precipice in me has felt since yesterday that this snow/sleet line is going to do battle right over the city and I think anyone north of the Park is in a decent spot. Let's see if there's any credence to my visceral superstitions lol. 

Hopefully, but based on what happening down south, not so sure Harlem's little elevation/location compared to downtown can save it. And at least from my vantage point up here, so far, beside the wind, this storm doesn't come close to even the one we had last month.. Was hoping by now I would be waking up to a wall of white like that morning. Couldn't even see the building across the street. Now, can still see for many blocks.

Just now, real said:

Hopefully, but based on what happening down south, not so sure Harlem's little elevation/location compared to downtown can save it. And at least from my vantage point up here, so far, beside the wind, this storm doesn't come close to even the one we had last month.. Was hoping by now I would be waking up to a wall of white like that morning. Couldn't even see the building across the street.

Patience. Those higher DBZs are still pushing their way north and the coastal hasn't completely phased yet.  

I measured about 10" for Feb's storm and I think we will beat that, particularly if we keep winning this battle in the mid-levels. 

Plus it looks like we're already pushing about 2.5" here. 

2 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Ok confirmed. Still all snow here even tho the snow growth sucks 

Me too but it seems to have hit a wall I should be getting great returns per radar but it's mangled flakes  Edit as I'm typing it seems to be getting better  Not sure anymore of anything

Archived