Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter Thread

BxEngine

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, tim said:

...NO beach days..NO bermuda high..MEAN trough in the east..2017..year with NO summer..sick

of this crap!

Agreed, its going to suck this year.

18 hours ago, bluewave said:

Look on the bright side. You are getting lower energy bills this year with the warm winter and the less need for air conditioning recently.

I wont turn on the AC unless its upper 80's at night.

18 hours ago, dmillz25 said:

Funny because just last year people were complaining about how dry it was. How things have changed.

I was not one of them

18 hours ago, doncat said:

But seriously, what is their rational behind canceling parades over some rain?...not like there are raging t storms that could  cause danger. My town where I grew up has one of the longest  running annual 4th of July  parades, and it's never been canceled...and I remember standing thru a few rainy parades.

The rational here was a threat of lightning which never materialized.

On May 29, 2017 at 4:56 AM, marsplex said:

RANT WARNING: So far this May has been GARBAGE to me, i think the entire summer will be a bust. I like the summers i remember as a teen in the early 90's as it seems in my memory that it was already in the 80's on long island and sun more often than not by now. Only my wifes job keeps me here but i would love to be living in place that has little to no rain and long hot summers. F-this weather we have right now. Its 54f out my back door with wind and rain. Its a serious let down. My outlook for this summer here on Long Island is cooler and wetter than normal. Meaning more depression and sorrow. I work outside and cant stand this endless rain. I feel like im living in Dublin.

If you lived West of the Hudson you would have warmer weather.

Station stats for May/Spring....

May temp departure -1.4 degrees, 13th coolest past 41 years.... Precip. 7.37", 4th wettest

Spring averaged out normal with significant negative departures in March and May, equaling the positive departure in April... Precip of 17.77" was 4th wettest.

45 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

61° with rain on a June afternoon.  This weather just has to stop.

Not at all a heat monger here but I grow tired of people saying this weather is delightful. When the last cutoff finally lifted out mid week I solaced myself by saying at least with the next one dropping down  it's June and the high temperatures are forecast to be at least 70F every day, oops wrong. With 2 and probably 3 more cloudy days to come how many cloudy or mostly cloudy days has there been since May 2? Close to 28 out of 35 day by next Thursday i would say. May-June 2003 is the only year that can match this.

12 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Not at all a heat monger here but I grow tired of people saying this weather is delightful. When the last cutoff finally lifted out mid week I solaced myself by saying at least with the next one dropping down  it's June and the high temperatures are forecast to be at least 70F every day, oops wrong. With 2 and probably 3 more cloudy days to come how many cloudy or mostly cloudy days has there been since May 2? Close to 28 out of 35 day by next Thursday i would say. May-June 2003 is the only year that can match this.

Each time we finally pull out of a cool period, I keep envisioning a nice, dry period with 80s and maybe some 90s.  Nevertheless, we go right back to early April with temps unable to reach the mid-60's in June lol. I'm not looking for 95 and dewpoints in the 70s, but I just want some consistent 80 degree weather already.  The pool isn't going to open at this rate, even when it's hot out the water still takes some time to warm up.

42 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Each time we finally pull out of a cool period, I keep envisioning a nice, dry period with 80s and maybe some 90s.  Nevertheless, we go right back to early April with temps unable to reach the mid-60's in June lol. I'm not looking for 95 and dewpoints in the 70s, but I just want some consistent 80 degree weather already.  The pool isn't going to open at this rate, even when it's hot out the water still takes some time to warm up.

I haven't even thought about opening mine yet. Its still dropping into the low 40s at night with daytime highs in the 60s.

8 minutes ago, snywx said:

Got you beat... 

55° here w/rain. 0.22" so far

Actually went up to 62 now.

7 minutes ago, snywx said:

I haven't even thought about opening mine yet. Its still dropping into the low 40s at night with daytime highs in the 60s.

Yeah, we always wait until the 2nd week of June at the earliest, although typically it opens around the third week.  Any earlier, and it's generally still too cool at night.

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

Everybody whining about the lack of heat needs to stop. Looks like a big eastern ridge builds in by next weekend with mid 90s likely just in time for true summer. 

17 minutes ago, nesussxwx said:

Oh the irony, you guys will be wishing it was this cool come a couple weeks time. Enjoy it while you can.

Because there's definitely no happy medium between oppressive heat and a bone-chilling rain. Nope.

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I agree today is awful. It's freezing at the beach and all we have managed is a few showers for a few hundredths so not worth it at all

I think more people went in the ocean for the polar bear swim back in February than the last few weekends combined.;)

15 hours ago, nesussxwx said:

Oh the irony, you guys will be wishing it was this cool come a couple weeks time. Enjoy it while you can.

Yup.  Lets keep the heat down, another summer of '09 would be ok.

15 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Because there's definitely no happy medium between oppressive heat and a bone-chilling rain. Nope.

There is but I have a feeling we're going to blow right past it and go to ugly humid conditions.  

5 hours ago, gravitylover said:

There is but I have a feeling we're going to blow right past it and go to ugly humid conditions.  

Yeah, probably... a delayed seasonal transition is typically an abrupt seasonal transition. On the plus side, the sun angle is now within about 0.8 degrees of peak solstice altitude, so we're nearly over the hump. Just 64 weekdays to go until met fall!

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, probably... a delayed seasonal transition is typically an abrupt seasonal transition. On the plus side, the sun angle is now within about 0.8 degrees of peak solstice altitude, so we're nearly over the hump. Just 64 weekdays to go until met fall!

It's not so much about the delay it's more that things are so wet that when it warms up there's no way it won't be humid unless warm is 70's with a continuously dry continental breeze so that the surface moisture can evaporate away rather than stagnate.

Archived