Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter Thread

BxEngine

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

Queens College mesonet station now online. It's a higher rooftop sensor so there will be some temperature variability from the surface depending on the weather conditions. Good spot to catch some higher wind gusts. The webcam view is fantastic looking toward Manhattan.

http://www.nysmesonet.org/mesonow#?stid=QUEE

Elevation 54.6 meters / 179 feet

QN.thumb.jpg.d99f8bbc3b028fc4aec38e1f193fe943.jpg

I was a little concerned about the temp readings being taken on a rooftop. It's currently cooler there than Wantagh despite the fact that it's recording nearly twice the solar radiation.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, forkyfork said:

could more moisture be lowering the chances to get that hot that late? our recent hot september days were also humid

Not sure. But the 100 degree days since 2010 have all occurred in July with the exception of the June 2011 earliest 100 on record at Newark. You can go back over time and see variation in the timing of our 100 degree days.

37 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

here we are wondering about the next 80 degree day in april during another top ten warm month. frogs in a pot of water

What the heck happened to the CC forum? Seems like one poster has taken it over with a bunch of disinformation threads. 

On 4/20/2017 at 1:28 PM, Cfa said:

I was a little concerned about the temp readings being taken on a rooftop. It's currently cooler there than Wantagh despite the fact that it's recording nearly twice the solar radiation.

Thats true, but in this case I think its the NE to ENE winds which can keep NE Queens to Eastern Westchester cooler than south shore of LI with winds coming straight off the Sound

11 hours ago, dWave said:

Thats true, but in this case I think its the NE to ENE winds which can keep NE Queens to Eastern Westchester cooler than south shore of LI with winds coming straight off the Sound

The Sound has a huge impact on keeping temps lower in early spring. There is even a significant difference in leaf-out between here in Hunts Point and 3 miles northeast towards the immediate Sound in Pelham Bay.

Here is the state of leaf out in Hunts Point, farther from the Sound and more urbanized.

20170421_133547-756x1008.thumb.jpg.cd0432f0eb4c3e79a7985d7cb1a68ed5.jpg

Here is what the trees look like 3 miles to the Northeast in Pelham Bay, very near the LI Sound and more residential...still mostly barren:

20170421_123924-1008x756.thumb.jpg.4df9582e6c727be8651fcb519dd46cda.jpg

I know nothing about the microclimate there but two things come to mind with those photos. 1) Different tree species leaf out at different times 2) A tree surrounded by a building, sidewalk, and street is more likely to leaf out earlier that a tree in the open. There's a mini urban heat island going on around that leafed out tree. 

On 4/20/2017 at 2:24 PM, bluewave said:

Not sure. But the 100 degree days since 2010 have all occurred in July with the exception of the June 2011 earliest 100 on record at Newark. You can go back over time and see variation in the timing of our 100 degree days.

We've seen late season heat, just not late season triple digit heat.  We got to 98 in early September 2010 and if you want to go further back I believe we got to 99 on 9/11/83.  We even got to 96 as late as 9/21/83.

On 4/20/2017 at 2:24 PM, bluewave said:

We haven't even seen much in the way of August triple digit heat outside of that random 103 in August 2001.  That wasn't even a hot summer.

On 4/20/2017 at 0:57 PM, bluewave said:

Yeah, several daily record highs and the +5 September. But we still haven't been able to join the 100 degree after 8-25 club since 1993. Only 4 years of 100 degree or greater readings this late in 1948, 1953, 1973, and 1993.

For Newark.  For NYC it's been a lot longer than that!

5 hours ago, nzucker said:

The Sound has a huge impact on keeping temps lower in early spring. There is even a significant difference in leaf-out between here in Hunts Point and 3 miles northeast towards the immediate Sound in Pelham Bay.

Here is the state of leaf out in Hunts Point, farther from the Sound and more urbanized.

20170421_133547-756x1008.thumb.jpg.cd0432f0eb4c3e79a7985d7cb1a68ed5.jpg

Here is what the trees look like 3 miles to the Northeast in Pelham Bay, very near the LI Sound and more residential...still mostly barren:

20170421_123924-1008x756.thumb.jpg.4df9582e6c727be8651fcb519dd46cda.jpg

Nice pics! :)  You also see this effect in early season snowstorms, for example October 2012 and November 2013 when JFK got more snow than LGA because it was warmer at LGA with the north wind.  I had 2 inches of snow in October 2012 and 8 inches in November 2013.

35 minutes ago, Paragon said:

We haven't even seen much in the way of August triple digit heat outside of that random 103 in August 2001.  That wasn't even a hot summer.

From 2000-2009 at Newark there were 9 days of 100 or greater in August. From 2010-2016 there have been 0 so far in August.

9 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Wow, JFK didn't have any triple digit heat in the 1953 heatwave?  Has JFK ever hit 100 in September?  I think they might have come close in 1983.

I don't know if the data is missing or not at JFK for that 1953 heatwave.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

I don't know if the data is missing or not at JFK for that 1953 heatwave.

it looks like 1953 isn't there...I checked the Utah climate site and there was no record...Threaded extremes does not show any top three hot days for the heat wave...the records are  deceiving and should mention missing data...

1 hour ago, Paragon said:

Wow, JFK didn't have any triple digit heat in the 1953 heatwave?  Has JFK ever hit 100 in September?  I think they might have come close in 1983.

Battery Park didn't hit 100 according to this article...

https://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/55203578/

You have to look at the data from Central Park or LGA and see what the cloud cover was if any and wind direction and speed...1953 should have had days that were close to the record or higher than the record during that heat wave...

25 minutes ago, uncle W said:

it looks like 1953 isn't there...I checked the Utah climate site and there was no record...Threaded extremes does not show any top three hot days for the heat wave...the records are  deceiving and should mention missing data...

XMACIS shows missing also.

JFK INTL AP, NY
Daily Data For a Month
September 1953

Day   MaxT   MinT   AvgT   Dprt    HDD    CDD   Pcpn   Snow   Dpth
 1       M      M      M      M      M      M      M      M      M

A couple of more months of no consecutive -1 AO months and we set the new record for the 2000's. Luckily, we have had a much better snowfall outcome  this time than from the previous streaks. More help this time from the -EPO.

Current streak no consecutive -1 AO months.....49 months....April 2013 to April 2017

Previous streaks..............................................50 months....April 2005 to March 2009

.....................................................................54 months....May 1996..to October 2000

....................................................................104 months....April 1987 to November 1995

On 4/21/2017 at 2:02 PM, forkyfork said:

for some reason no staff members think his posts should be cleaned up

On 4/21/2017 at 2:33 PM, bluewave said:

All the good posters are going to leave and it won't really be a forum that you can take seriously.

Warned him to stop spamming.

I don't go in that subforum often anymore so let me know if he continues bc I will just ban him.    

On 4/22/2017 at 7:43 AM, IrishRob17 said:

I know nothing about the microclimate there but two things come to mind with those photos. 1) Different tree species leaf out at different times 2) A tree surrounded by a building, sidewalk, and street is more likely to leaf out earlier that a tree in the open. There's a mini urban heat island going on around that leafed out tree. 

Rob, I realize this, but the difference was noticeable across many species of trees in many locations across Pelham Bay and Hunts Point. Of course I know that magnolias leaf out before maples, which usually leaf out before beech. But the general condition of the trees in the Bronx definitely shows a warm SW to cold NE gradient, aligned with the proximity to LI Sound and influence of cold SSTs in early spring.

Archived