Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter Thread

BxEngine

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WeatherFeen2000 said:

Yes it'll rain but we were supposed to get pounded with heavy rain and wind all day. This is a quick 4 hours of heavy rain and have a nice day come on yanks

What modeling did you look at that showed an all day pounding event? It's been pretty clear since Monday that this was going to be a mainly convective event.

15 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Look at the radar before calling bust. Is all that rain in the DC metro going to evaporate?

you have to admit, you woke up and looked at radar and said WTF?   The day is still young, but this has the hallmarks of an underperformer....

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

you have to admit, you woke up and looked at radar and said WTF?   The day is still young, but this has the hallmarks of an underperformer....

Nah, I kind of figured things were slowing down some because of following it all day yesterday in the Southeast. I am worried about being stuck in some sort of dry slot, but the water vapor loop doesn't support dry slot and we should be okay until after the SLP passes.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

We get 70 and sunny how often in Spring, late Summer and early fall? How often do we get a sub 999mb low tracking over Eastern PA?

I'm thinking more about what I have right now which is miserable wind blown cold drizzle. If we get some good convection and winds later then I'd take the storm overall 

1 minute ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I'm thinking more about what I have right now which is miserable wind blown cold drizzle. If we get some good convection and winds later then I'd take the storm overall 

Hope is still alive. It's a shame that the trough didn't dig futurer SE. I've been saying this could be an issue for the last four days.

1 hour ago, doncat said:

Remember on this date in 2010?... 92 degrees at my station.

Yeah, that was our earliest 90 while last year was our earliest 80. 2011 was the earliest 100 at Newark.

Newark first 90

2010 04-07

1977 04-12 

2002 04-16 

1896 04-18

1976 04-18 

1941 04-20

Newark first 80

2016 03-09 

1990 03-13 

1945 03-16 

2011 03-18

1921 03-21

Newark first 100

2011 06-09

1994 06-15 

1993 06-19 

1923 06-20 

1953 06-21 

On 4/5/2017 at 1:25 PM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

The colonial hurricane was definitely the strongest to hit NE in recorded history. But there is no way to tell how bad it was here. The best chance we have of recovering another Sandy caliber event in our life times is with climate change. Obviously the warming of our coastal waters and the increase in blocking patterns. Personally I doubt I ever see another Sandy. 

We saw some slight tweaks to the Saffir Simpson scale where a 130 mph hurricane is now considered to be a Cat 4, could this mean that both the Colonial Hurricane and the 1938 hurricanes were both Cat 4 at landfall?

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, that was our earliest 90 while last year was our earliest 80. 2011 was the earliest 100 at Newark.

Newark first 90

2010 04-07

1977 04-12 

2002 04-16 

1896 04-18

1976 04-18 

1941 04-20

Newark first 80

2016 03-09 

1990 03-13 

1945 03-16 

2011 03-18

1921 03-21

Newark first 100

2011 06-09

1994 06-15 

1993 06-19 

1923 06-20 

1953 06-21 

It even hit 90 in Nassau County- earliest I ever remember that happening.

23 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

We get 70 and sunny how often in Spring, late Summer and early fall? How often do we get a sub 999mb low tracking over Eastern PA?

For me personally I would take either 2003 or 2010 lol.  Either a snowstorm or 90 degrees.

On 4/5/2017 at 2:28 PM, bluewave said:

The only 2 that I know of are Wantagh and Southhold. The 5 NYC sites in each borough will be rooftop stations on 5 story buildings or smaller. They tried to get another one into Central Park but they couldn't get the space. There is a nice presentation in the link below.

https://ams.confex.com/ams/96Annual/webprogram/Paper283586.html

The New York State (NYS) Mesonet Early Warning Weather Detection System is an advanced, statewide weather station network explicitly designed to enhance local data collection for improved weather monitoring and prediction. The Mesonetwork will consist of 125 surface weather stations with at least one station in every county and borough across the state.

Each of the Mesonet's 125 weather stations will measure surface temperature, relative humidity, wind speed and direction, precipitation, solar radiation, atmospheric pressure, photographic images and soil moisture and temperature at three depths (5, 25, and 50 cm). In addition, seventeen of the sites (known as �enhanced sites�) will be outfitted with lidars and microwave radiometers providing wind, temperature, and moisture profiles in the vertical. Twenty of the sites will measure snow depth and snow water equivalent for hydrological applications, and seventeen of the sites will measure the surface energy budget, including radiation, sensible, latent and ground heat fluxes. All data will be collected every five minutes and then transmitted in real-time to a central location at the University at Albany, where the data will be quality controlled and archived, and then disseminated to a variety of users. Upon completion, real time data along with graphical products will be available to the public via a website (http://nysmesonet.org).

The first Mesonet site was installed in August 2015. Site installations will continue through 2016, with the entire network expected to be completed by December 2016. This weather detection system will provide federal, state, and local communities with access to high-resolution, real-time data for improved public safety and more efficient, weather-sensitive operations. Indeed with the addition of these dense networks of surface and profiling sensors, the NYS Mesonet promises a new generation of local weather observations that will support more accurate, more precise decision-making in agriculture, emergency management, energy, ground transportation and aviation. This presentation provides a general technical overview of the system.

Why are they always on the south shore I wonder.  I'd like a few more up near Glen Cove, Huntington, Port Jefferson, Mt. Sinai, Wading River, Orient Point, etc.

22 minutes ago, Paragon said:

It even hit 90 in Nassau County- earliest I ever remember that happening.

We ended that cool June 2009 to February 2010 pattern in style.

19 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Why are they always on the south shore I wonder.  I'd like a few more up near Glen Cove, Huntington, Port Jefferson, Mt. Sinai, Wading River, Orient Point, etc.

The new Southhold station is out on the North Fork. This will be our first professional weather station in Nassau or Western Suffolk south of Merrick Rd/Montauk HWY.

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

The new Southhold station is out on the North Fork. This will be our first professional weather station in Nassau or Western Suffolk south of Merrick Rd/Montauk HWY.

Wow all the others were on the north shore?  Do they count for official observations that the NWS keeps historical records of?

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

That was the great period of extremes going from winter 2009-10 through the summer of 2010, the winter of 2010-11 and the summer of 2011 and the October 2011 storm.

7 minutes ago, bluewave said:

BW do you have an updated mesonet map for PA also?

10 minutes ago, Paragon said:

That was the great period of extremes going from winter 2009-10 through the summer of 2010, the winter of 2010-11 and the summer of 2011 and the October 2011 storm.

The historic June and July 2009 -AO and cool temps pretty much marked the beginning our extremes graduating to the next level.

4 hours ago, Paragon said:

Wow all the others were on the north shore?  Do they count for official observations that the NWS keeps historical records of?

The meteogram from the new site in Wantagh is available for about 24 hrs. But you have to email the mesonet site to get the data before 24 hrs. It would have been nice if it was there for March 2010 and Sandy for real time obs every few minutes. The 3 trees blowing down in Wantagh was north of there.

Archived