Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter Thread

BxEngine

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bluewave said:

The beach down by NY ave in LB got paved to accommodate all the heavy equipment and boulders for the giant shoreline protection job the next few years.

They'll break right through that with those vehicles

7 hours ago, Cfa said:

That looks hideous.

Just one of about 1000 reasons this project was fought and canceled the first time around during the mid 2000s. It's not going to be a pretty summer for the lb beaches. After Sandy  it doesn't  matter what it t to get it done as far as the average lb citizen is concerned. Unfortunately it's not going to stop bayside flooding which is the true cause of flooding during every single storm other then Sandy 

3 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Just one of about 1000 reasons this project was fought and canceled the first time around during the mid 2000s. It's not going to be a pretty summer for the lb beaches. After Sandy  it doesn't  matter what it t to get it done as far as the average lb citizen is concerned. Unfortunately it's not going to stop bayside flooding which is the true cause of flooding during every single storm other then Sandy 

They will have to invest in tidal gates to prevent back bay flooding which will become more common with sea level rise in the future.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/army-corps-to-study-tidal-gates-for-south-shore-1.12712645

Public Information Statement
National Weather Service Caribou ME
527 AM EDT Thu Mar 30 2017

...Snow depth record set at Caribou, Maine...

There has been a foot or more of snow on the ground at Caribou,
Maine since November 30th for a total of 121 days. This is the 
longest consecutive stretch with a foot or more of snow on the 
ground at Caribou. The old record of 120 days was set during the 
winter of 1968-1969. Weather record began at Caribou in 1939.

8 hours ago, bluewave said:

Public Information Statement
National Weather Service Caribou ME
527 AM EDT Thu Mar 30 2017

...Snow depth record set at Caribou, Maine...

There has been a foot or more of snow on the ground at Caribou,
Maine since November 30th for a total of 121 days. This is the 
longest consecutive stretch with a foot or more of snow on the 
ground at Caribou. The old record of 120 days was set during the 
winter of 1968-1969. Weather record began at Caribou in 1939.

As a snowpack guy, that's incredible 

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

It helps that they live in a region where the 11th warmest winter on record there can still average 17.0 degrees.

I honestly think I would get tired of it if I lived out there.   I was also in Breckenridge this January where they had record snows, 5 feet on the ground...same deal, it's got to get old after awhile....

30 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yeah, I'm not sure I want to live there.  Truckee, CA is down to 'only' 72" of snow with 32.5" of water equivalent 

32" water equivalent!! Now that's what's amazing. That's truly a glacier, almost pure ice. It would take weeks of temps in the 70s and sun to melt that. Based on the fact that we still have piles on campus in the city. 

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

I honestly think I would get tired of it if I lived out there.   I was also in Breckenridge this January where they had record snows, 5 feet on the ground...same deal, it's got to get old after awhile....

You'll get cabin fever in no time lol.  Northern Maine might be a better option, over 100" of snow on average and no allergies!

12 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I'm gonna head out on a limb and say this is the most miserable wx I've ever experienced. :lol: Hours and hours of wind-driven 70/30 sleet/rain mix that never accumulates. Just appalling. 

Probably my least favorite weather, just terrible.  I'd take snow over this, but ultimately I want 70s and sun ASAP.

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

I'm gonna head out on a limb and say this is the most miserable wx I've ever experienced. :lol: Hours and hours of wind-driven 70/30 sleet/rain mix that never accumulates. Just appalling. 

I agree. This is definitely my least favorite weather. I'm stuck inside bored out of my mind at work. I like to be outside doing things. Not to mention my landscape design business is currently stalled. 

6 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

This is exactly why all those media forecasters who talk about how rain is so much better than snow are completely out to lunch.  This actually feels colder than snow does.

12 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

32" water equivalent!! Now that's what's amazing. That's truly a glacier, almost pure ice. It would take weeks of temps in the 70s and sun to melt that. Based on the fact that we still have piles on campus in the city. 

I think those places can snow heavily right through July 4th weekend.

March ends up averaging 39.2 in NYC...the third time the 2010's had a March averaging below 40.0...the most for a decade since the 1940's which had four...the 2010's have two more years to possibly add on...On the other side the 2010's have three years that averaged 45.0 or higher for March...That ties the 1970's and 1980's for the most...

1 hour ago, uncle W said:

March ends up averaging 39.2 in NYC...the third time the 2010's had a March averaging below 40.0...the most for a decade since the 1940's which had four...the 2010's have two more years to possibly add on...On the other side the 2010's have three years that averaged 45.0 or higher for March...That ties the 1970's and 1980's for the most...

Almost exactly the same as the DJF winter avg of 39.3. Not sure when the last time was that the March and winter average temperatures were so close.

17 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Almost exactly the same as the DJF winter avg of 39.3. Not sure when the last time was that the March and winter average temperatures were so close.

the neutral to weak la nina after an el nino winters averaged 40.1 for March...2017 was slightly colder and snowier than the average of those March analogs...

1 hour ago, uncle W said:

the neutral to weak la nina after an el nino winters averaged 40.1 for March...2017 was slightly colder and snowier than the average of those March analogs...

I think this was the first time since 1899-1900 that the winter and March average temperatures were so close in NYC.

DJF...1899-1900...33.4....Mar...33.5

DJF...2016-2017...39.3....Mar...39.2

On 3/30/2017 at 5:13 AM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Wow, I thought this project was a fairly recent proposal. I bet many regret opposing it back then. So many homes being lifted now, and very few trees remaining. I just hope it doesn't make the trek through Long Beach anymore tedious than it already is.

Back in February(?) I had to drive through as much as 2 feet of Jamaica Bay water in Inwood and Far Rockaway after a run-of-the-mill storm, it's probably the same story by the bay in Long Beach.

19 minutes ago, Cfa said:

Wow, I thought this project was a fairly recent proposal. I bet many regret opposing it back then. So many homes being lifted now, and very few trees remaining. I just hope it doesn't make the trek through Long Beach anymore tedious than it already is.

Back in February(?) I had to drive through as much as 2 feet of Jamaica Bay water in Inwood and Far Rockaway after a run-of-the-mill storm, it's probably the same story by the bay in Long Beach.

The army corps were scheduled to restore the beach back in the early 2000's and the 1990's I believe.  But people living near the beach didn't want they ocean views obstructed by the higher dunes that that they are going to build this time around. While this project doesn't do anything for the bay flooding, it will make the ocean side of the barrier island more secure. The small dunes that LB had before Sandy in limited areas east and west of the boardwalk were flattened. So there was extensive damage to the beach side of Long Beach in addition to the bay. The Lido dunes were much bigger and protected houses behind them much better since they held. The water backed up from the bay in Lido and only made it up onto peoples front lawns in the very expensive dunes neighborhood. Areas in Lido closer to the bay flooded out. PT Lookout did the best since the south side near the beach hardly flooded at all since it was so high. The bays are going to need a tidal gate system to protect them in the coming age of sea level rise.

17 minutes ago, Cfa said:

Excluding on the beach itself the effects from Sandy would have been the same with or without the project. Right on the beach the surge was enhanced by wave run-up. But on most of the rest of the island the effective surge height would have been similar coming out of the bay. As blue wave said, the only o prevent the bayside flooding is with flood gates at the inlets. Similar to providence, London and Venice. Eventually they will be absolutely nessesary. Getting them paid for now is impossible as they would have to be installed at every Inlet from rockaway inlet to morriches . 

Archived