Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter Thread

BxEngine

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

I just had another dream that  before Easter we get another 2 snow events or at least rain to snow... I would watch April 1st and 6th for some wintry weather. I think Easter is a hot one though, so if any snow accumulates, itll melt the next day

IMG_1738.PNG

GFS has been advertising the April 5-6 threat for a while. Looks like a big western Canada ridge pulls down some homebrew cold from Hudson Bay. We need a really strong coastal for the dynamics though...a light overrunning event at that point will probably just be rain/mix.

4/5-4/10 period looks like the last gasp of winter before warmer weather takes hold.

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Partial beach closures this summer in Long Beach with the major army corps coastal protection project getting started.

http://www.fios1news.com/longisland/coastal-protection-work-to-slow-erosion-will-cause-partial-beach-closures-this-summer#.WNkSbShM4lK

Blue- did you see any more detail about which specific streets will have work done over the summer and the schedule? Wondering if it will impact the volleyball leagues during the week. 

4 hours ago, tdp146 said:

Blue- did you see any more detail about which specific streets will have work done over the summer and the schedule? Wondering if it will impact the volleyball leagues during the week. 

They just posted this on a local social media site if it's any help. There could also be traffic slowdowns with all the trucks hauling boulders down to the beach each day to rebuild the jetties or groins as they also call them.

Rehabilitate Groin 39 (opposite Edwards) from the New York Avenue access point and Groin 40 (opposite Riverside) access point at Neptune first starting end of March/ early April to about May 10 .

- Rehabilitate Groin 30 (opposite New York Ave) from the New York Avenue access point and Groin 47 (opposite Roosevelt Blvd) from the Neptune Blvd access point next once Groins 39 (opposite Edwards) and 40 (opposite Riverside) are done. (approx. from May 10 to June 22)

- Rehabilitate Groin 29 (opposite Arizona) from the New York Avenue access point and Groin 44 (opposite Franklin Blvd) from the Neptune Blvd access point next once Groins 30 (opposite New York Ave) and 47 (opposite Roosevelt Blvd) are done. (approx. from June 22 to September 5)

- If the contractor completes all six groins prior to Labor Day, he may request to work on an additional set of groins – one on each end of the City, such as 27 (opposite Tennessee) and 43 (Lincoln Blvd.). However, no 

other groins will be worked on until after Labor Day unless the City specifically approves this.

- Haul roads will only be constructed and used as needed to reach the groins currently being worked on as in the approved Work Plan for the contract to repair the groins. For example, when Groins 39 (opposite Edwards) and 40 (opposite Riverside) are complete, the haul road will be removed from the access points to Groins 39 (opposite Edwards) and 40 (opposite Riverside) and reset to reach only Groins 30 (opposite New York Ave) and 47 (opposite Roosevelt Blvd) from their respective access points.

- At every boardwalk crossing (stairs and/or ramp), a corridor will be made to allow the public access to the beach across the haul road and around staging areas and groin work areas as needed.

- There will be two large material handling vehicles working the project as opposed to the one identified in the work plan, limiting the amount of travel time needed in the haul road.

- The contractor may begin work on the beach at 8:00 AM and work until 8:00 PM per City ordinance. There will be 20 trucks used per day, each making two deliveries – one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

Well, if I am reading that correctly it looks like they want to finish Riverside and Edwards by May 10. That's where the volleyball leagues are and that would get the project done a couple weeks before the games start. So that's good.  20 trucks coming in twice a day sounds like it could be a traffic pain like you said. I wonder where the tucks would come from? Usually can't have trucks on the meadowbroo. I don't know if they can fit through the AB toll booth? Would they come down long beach road?

3 minutes ago, tdp146 said:

Well, if I am reading that correctly it looks like they want to finish Riverside and Edwards by May 10. That's where the volleyball leagues are and that would get the project done a couple weeks before the games start. So that's good.  20 trucks coming in twice a day sounds like it could be a traffic pain like you said. I wonder where the tucks would come from? Usually can't have trucks on the meadowbroo. I don't know if they can fit through the AB toll booth? Would they come down long beach road?

Long Beach road most likely. I highly doubt they finish on time. This is a major project

8 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Long Beach road most likely. I highly doubt they finish on time. This is a major project

I would usually agree- but I think they are only looking to do work on the LB groins because they finished the work early in Lido. 

Long Beach Rd south of Waukena is very thin and in a tidal zone.  When the old dump was still open they used to rebuild it every couple of years.  I remember watching the construction when I was a kid and thinking there had to be a better way to reinforce it so it didn't have to be done so often.  I bet the road sustains significant damage due to the weight of all of those trucks.  The road through Lido is also questionable, it's all old concrete block and also in a tidal zone.  I wonder if there is money in the budget to rehab the damage that's likely to be done.

53 minutes ago, tdp146 said:

49 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I just found the whole project plan online. Looks like all the stone is coming from a quarry in NJ and will go over the Atlantic Beach bridge. So not too much fun if you get stuck behind the 20 trucks making two trips each day through the West End. 250,000 tons of stone to finish the job.

http://www.nan.usace.army.mil/Portals/37/docs/civilworks/projects/ny/coast/LongBeach/Long Beach_Presentation_Draft_Falt_June29_2016_PMupdate.pdf?ver=2016-07-11-102925-180

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

I just found the whole project plan online. Looks like all the stone is coming from a quarry in NJ and will go over the Atlantic Beach bridge. So not too much fun if you get stuck behind the 20 trucks making two trips each day through the West End. 250,000 tons of stone to finish the job.

http://www.nan.usace.army.mil/Portals/37/docs/civilworks/projects/ny/coast/LongBeach/Long Beach_Presentation_Draft_Falt_June29_2016_PMupdate.pdf?ver=2016-07-11-102925-180

Great find! I passed it along to some friends in lb that are in denial that this is even happening

13 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Great find! I passed it along to some friends in lb that are in denial that this is even happening

The roads along the route can take a pretty good beating from so much tonnage of stone twice a day for the length of the project. 

Archived