Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter Thread

BxEngine

15 hours ago, FreeRain said:

Thanks for the link.  Always grinds my gears when Forecasters cannot admit they were wrong.  I've been wrong too often, although by Monday at 3 PM I knew some sleet was going to mix in, I just didn't know how much.  I live in Garwood and I never bothered measuring, although we couldn't have gotten any more than 6".  Not sure how a trained spotter in Elizabeth reported 9".

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

Thanks for the link.  Always grinds my gears when Forecasters cannot admit they were wrong.  I've been wrong too often, although by Monday at 3 PM I knew some sleet was going to mix in, I just didn't know how much.  I live in Garwood and I never bothered measuring, although we couldn't have gotten any more than 6".  Not sure how a trained spotter in Elizabeth reported 9".

Looks like a general 6 to 8 around the area so its not outlandish but a bit high. Not sure how Irvington got 15

5 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Western parts of Essex, up near Eagle Rock got 10-13 which is believable but not 15 that far east and at lower elevation esp with the airport getting half that

Yeah I noticed the other amounts in Essex seemed fine.  Irvington is pretty urban though and I just don't see how they could have got so much.  Probably a drift lol.

Climo I guess doesn't lie.  The daily snow records fall off a cliff after 3/13.  Hell, even this event was a top 5 or 7 daily I believe for Central Park.  It's just not easy to get a big snow here after the 10th.  The higher record events in April I have to believe are somehow connected to a tendency for the NOAM atmosphere to want to go through some sort of natural rebalance in that period.  We see secondary peaks in many cities in the world for not just snow but also severe weather outbreaks and heatwaves that occur weeks after the typical peaks.  

1 hour ago, North and West of Town said:

Not sure if I mentioned this yesterday, but this was kind of a throwback storm for me, reminding me of early 1990s storms from when I was a kid: major snows inland, mixing near me. The one difference was that it had some February 2014 feel to it in that we got a lot of SN+ followed by sleet. We haven't had wind driven sleet like we did yesterday in a while. Finished around a foot or so in MMU with lots of blowing and drifting. Crazy for mid-March.

Anyway, I'm ready to work on the yard and get back outside.

Back in the day I would have my cold temp veggie plants like cabbage broccoli and lettuce big enough to plant in a week. Peas would be going into the ground. Once we started getting into some colder Marches, I stopped planting that stuff because there wasn't enough cool weather to grow before it got too warm. Now I just plant tomatoes and other warm crops in late May, and they produce until the first frost.

8 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Back in the day I would have my cold temp veggie plants like cabbage broccoli and lettuce big enough to plant in a week. Peas would be going into the ground. Once we started getting into some colder Marches, I stopped planting that stuff because there wasn't enough cool weather to grow before it got too warm. Now I just plant tomatoes and other warm crops in late May, and they produce until the first frost.

Every year I plant broccoli, lettuce, radishes and peas during the last few days of March. I find that it's enough time to get good crops before it gets too hot. 

1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

I'm afraid this cold has zapped the hydrangea buds this year  :/

1 hour ago, North and West of Town said:

I'm afraid this cold has zapped the hydrangea buds this year  :/

Same here; the sleetfest, which actually turned out to be a quite wicked storm in CNJ once we got passed the idea of double digit snow, didn't help. My wife wanted to know if it would still bloom this year. i said yeah sure, but I have no idea. Vegetables are my thing, not flowers..

This may be the worst spring freeze for the SE since 2007. Very tough to be in the AG community when spring comes 3 weeks early and you get this.

http://climate.ncsu.edu/climate/events/easter2007.php

US.png.a0ee9c61f76da5ef790d55a9e4041c65.png

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Jacksonville FL
227 PM EDT Wed Mar 15 2017

FLZ020>025-030>032-035-036-GAZ132>136-149>153-162>165-161300-
/O.CON.KJAX.HZ.W.0003.170316T0600Z-170316T1300Z/
Hamilton-Suwannee-Columbia-Baker-Inland Nassau-Inland Duval-Union-
Bradford-Clay-Gilchrist-Alachua-Coffee-Jeff Davis-Bacon-Appling-
Wayne-Atkinson-Ware-Pierce-Brantley-Inland Glynn-Echols-Clinch-
Charlton-Inland Camden-
Including the cities of Jasper, Jennings, West Lake, Belmont,
White Springs, Houston, Live Oak, McAlpin, Newburn,
Suwannee Springs, Columbia, Lake City, Oleno State Park, Lulu,
Watertown, Macclenny, Olustee, Ratliff, Hilliard, Kings Ferry,
Bryceville, Normandy, Ortega, Riverside, San Marco, Lake Butler,
Starke, New River, Doctors Inlet, Lakeside, Bellair, Middleburg,
Orange Park, Trenton, Gainesville, Gainesville Airport,
Newnans Lake, Douglas, Hazlehurst, Alma, New Lacy, Baxley,
Pine Grove, Plant Hatch, Doctortown, Gardi, Jesup, Axson,
Pearson, Willacoochee, Needham, Waycross, Blackshear, Atkinson,
Hickox, Hortense, Nahunta, Raybon, Waynesville, Hoboken,
Thalmann, Needmore, Statenville, Homerville, Folkston,
St. George, Winokur, Homeland, Race Pond,
Stephen Foster State Park, Colesburg, Tarboro, Waverly,
and Woodbine
227 PM EDT Wed Mar 15 2017

...HARD FREEZE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 9 AM EDT
THURSDAY...

* TEMPERATURE...Lows 24 to 27 degrees.

* DURATION...Freezing temperatures for 5 to 7 hours, with
  temperatures at or below 27 for 2 to 4 hours.

* IMPACTS...Temperature sensitive plants and crops could be killed
  by these low temperatures and any temperature sensitive plants
  should be brought indoors this evening. Pets should also be
  brought indoors to protect them from the cold. Exposed pipes
  should be dripped.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A Hard Freeze Warning means that temperatures 27 degrees or less
are expected for at least 2 hours. Appropriate action should be
taken to ensure tender vegetation and outdoor pets have adequate
protection from the cold temperatures. Young children, the
elderly and the homeless are especially vulnerable to the cold.
Take measures to protect them.

&&

$$

21 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

now we just need 19 more months like this to make up for the last 20

Wonder if the last time we saw close to 20 below normal months in a row was the late 1800's? If not then, guessing some point closer to the core of the LIA.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Wonder if the last time we saw close to 20 below normal months in a row was the late 1800's? If not then, guessing some point closer to the core of the LIA.

we're getting the snowfall without the cold

2 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

Same here; the sleetfest, which actually turned out to be a quite wicked storm in CNJ once we got passed the idea of double digit snow, didn't help. My wife wanted to know if it would still bloom this year. i said yeah sure, but I have no idea. Vegetables are my thing, not flowers..

Certian hydrangea cultivars that only bloom once could be shot. Especially if they had already started to leaf out. Some of the repeat bloomers will be fin as well as the lime light series that has the big white flowers 

47 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Certian hydrangea cultivars that only bloom once could be shot. Especially if they had already started to leaf out. Some of the repeat bloomers will be fin as well as the lime light series that has the big white flowers 

These are blue or pink ( had read it has to do with soil ph ) and actually did not even bloom last year. 

5 hours ago, bluewave said:

Only 4 below normal snowfall seasons here since 2000-2001 and the culprit was a raging +EPO pattern.

500.png.ebe58b20eb3dfd6c6f7994cf9652a817.png

The 1981-2010 average for KNYC is 25.8. They corrected it in 2014 when it was pointed out to them by yours truly that they calculated incorrectly. It's hard to believe in this day and age that they couldn't take 360 months of snow data and add it and divide by 30 but that was the case. I don't know where this Chris Devito got 25.3 from but the original number they used was 25.1. Lots of web sites still haven't corrected this and still use 25.1. Of course in 4 years it won't be relevant.

Anyone with access to all of the snow data can confirm this, I actually calculated it as 25.9 but when they corrected it they went with 25.8. I'm sure Uncle W can confirm the numbers with all of the data he has.

6 minutes ago, snywx said:

Wow.. Thats damn impressive. They should break their record then by the end of the week

Yes, they were still getting light snow tonight. They should get a couple inches with the overrunning/late blooming coastal on Saturday. The BGM airport is at hIgh elevation and will snow well into April.

Archived