Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter Thread

BxEngine

10 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Well you are right about the public, and that is my primary interest in these events. How does it affect people? But did they make the right calls with the tools available? I am not a met, but it seems there were tools they chose to ignore, maybe for sound reasons I don't know. As for disaster, most of the public does not like snow, and view 2 feet as a disaster. 

As of two days ago, the blizzard watches were warranted.  Yesterday serious busy potential started to emerge but official forecasts cannot and should not flip with every model run.  The public has to understand we often ride the line between precip types in our particular area.  It just is what it is.  

I still don't get how people view 2' as a disaster.  In Atlanta, yes.   But with all the big snows here over the last 20 years, and the enormous public and private money spent on snow removal equipment and manhours, the impact for most people even for the biggest events is minimal.   

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Snowshack said:

As of two days ago, the blizzard watches were warranted.  Yesterday serious busy potential started to emerge but official forecasts cannot and should not flip with every model run.  The public has to understand we often ride the line between precip types in our particular area.  It just is what it is.  

I still don't get how people view 2' as a disaster.  In Atlanta, yes.   But with all the big snows here over the last 20 years, and the enormous public and private money spent on snow removal equipment and manhours, the impact for most people even for the biggest events is minimal.   

I actually think 2' is fairly easy to deal with in rural areas or suburban areas.  In recent decades, very rare for anyone on the East Coast to get snowed in for days, so the whole run to the grocery store thing seems a bit outdated.  But in big cities -- be it New York, Chicago, DC, etc, -- once you get over 18 inches, it starts to get a bit difficult to get around because you start running out of places to put the snow.  Buses get stuck, elderly people can't get out to get their medicine, and all those issues that can flare up in a city even without snow. 

In this case, however, its already mid March. Even if we got 3 feet, should have been more obvious things would clear up far quicker than it would in January. 

I know it's a tacky thing to say, but seriously, even if it sucks in your backyard, it's really an amazing weather event playing out right now. I do feel bad for the folks getting screwed over, but I know I always enjoy watching the big coastal snowstorms from afar. In all likelihood, we won't have anything half this exciting to watch for quite some time...

UjqE6lh.gif

F3Q76JS.gif

K3sr3aO.gif

kxdBEvE.jpg

The obs thread should be retitled to "the bust of 2017 thread."  What a total disaster....I can't believe I wasted so much time tracking this thing.  What's the story with the weather agencies getting rid of/changing the algorithm of models that are correct.  Euro used to be king and consistent, now it has wild swing to swing variations.  Nam has been pretty awesome this winter....now in the garbage it goes....yet they keep running the cras....it's bizarre...its like they want to be wrong...

41 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Not even really sure what we have here so far, few inches maybe. Don't know, don't care-the sooner this turd of a storm can be gone and we can move on, the better. 

Despite how great this 2000's snow era has been, NYC still hasn't had a 12" event in March since 1960.  

29 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I know it's a tacky thing to say, but seriously, even if it sucks in your backyard, it's really an amazing weather event playing out right now. I do feel bad for the folks getting screwed over, but I know I always enjoy watching the big coastal snowstorms from afar. In all likelihood, we won't have anything half this exciting to watch for quite some timeF3Q76JS.gif

Much easier to deal with being on the wrong side of a bust in this current snowy era.   In the 80's a narrow miss on a big storm was crushing.   

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

I know it's a tacky thing to say, but seriously, even if it sucks in your backyard, it's really an amazing weather event playing out right now. I do feel bad for the folks getting screwed over, but I know I always enjoy watching the big coastal snowstorms from afar. In all likelihood, we won't have anything half this exciting to watch for quite some time...

UjqE6lh.gif

F3Q76JS.gif

K3sr3aO.gif

kxdBEvE.jpg

Julian I'm extremely lucky I got out to PA in time for this, got over a foot already with temps in the upper teens at elevation.

Back home I heard we have 4 inches.....of mostly sleet :P

Next big exciting thing to track will be a huge heatwave which we hopefully will have this summer- here's to 100+ heat in July!

49 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Despite how great this 2000's snow era has been, NYC still hasn't had a 12" event in March since 1960.  

and it's never gonna happen lol.  You know how our winters and cold season have narrowed down to DJF (with the notable exception of 2015 of course.)

I have a strong feeling that even if this storm had taken the "ideal" track for NYC it still would have found a way to bust somehow.

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

Julian I'm extremely lucky I got out to PA in time for this, got over a foot already with temps in the upper teens at elevation.

Back home I heard we have 4 inches.....of mostly sleet :P

Next big exciting thing to track will be a huge heatwave which we hopefully will have this summer- here's to 100+ heat in July!

Don't expect much when you get home, will probably be washed away. Enjoy it up there and take pics.

Just now, jm1220 said:

Don't expect much when you get home, will probably be washed away. Enjoy it up there and take pics.

I just woke up, so going to do that as soon as I grab a quick breakfast.  I posted in the main thread, how is the wind over there? My only updates have been via weather channel lol- 4" of sleet back at home but the winds haven't ramped up?

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

This could have been the one. I lost so much sleep tracking this. The pattern did look great for a big snowstorm for the coast. Shame.

3 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

This could have been the one. I lost so much sleep tracking this. The pattern did look great for a big snowstorm for the coast. Shame.

Based on the NYC's dwindling history of March snowstorms, even if this took the perfect track, it would have found some way to bust.  Unless you have an anomalously cold winter like 2014-15, I don't think you're going to be able to see big March snowstorms in NYC anymore.

Archived