Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter Thread

BxEngine

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

You could catch your own fish, but then, they are so contaminated you're better off eating bologna....a major contributor to all these issues is stress.

Mercury :( it's important to get Omega 3s though, even if it's via supplementation.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Paragon said:

Yes stress also causes people to take sleeping pills, antidepressants, etc- and then you get dependency.

Antidepressants are not addictive, but they do make a person gain weight, contributing to other problems. Sleeping pills can cause all sorts of problems. I had a friend who took Ambien and said he would order things online during the night and not even remember it

Just now, weatherpruf said:

At least they test your tap water. Can't say for sure what's in the bottle....

I had to have it tested personally.  I posted an article on the politics side which showed some of the tricks the water companies use to make the water seem better than it is- like running it for 10 minutes prior to testing it, which removes things like lead.

I actually had an upset stomach from drinking bottled water when I was overseas, who knows what was in it.  

Antidepressants are not addictive, but they do make a person gain weight, contributing to other problems. Sleeping pills can cause all sorts of problems. I had a friend who took Ambien and said he would order things online during the night and not even remember it

haha yea I was trying to tell some of our late night posters about that!

one thing that antidepressants do do (and there's an fda warning about it for not giving them to children or adolescents) is they can cause violent bouts of anger- and they were implicated in the Columbine shootings.

The other thing which I see a lot is abuse of prescription drugs especially ritalin and adderall and other stimulants.  People who took them told me it was hard to get off of them and the side effects were worse than the treatment.

Just now, Paragon said:

I had to have it tested personally.  I posted an article on the politics side which showed some of the tricks the water companies use to make the water seem better than it is- like running it for 10 minutes prior to testing it, which removes things like lead.

I actually had an upset stomach from drinking bottled water when I was overseas, who knows what was in it.  

They also don't test for some things that can be bad for you. Actually, many things we use are not really tested by any authority. 

They also don't test for some things that can be bad for you. Actually, many things we use are not really tested by any authority. 

yeah personally I find the world health organization more reliable- a lot of things we don't test for are actually illegal in Europe and Canada.

Looks like California is pretty good on that front too.  Started labeling Glyphosate in food (which is also labeled in NYC Parks so children don't get exposed.)

2 minutes ago, Paragon said:

haha yea I was trying to tell some of our late night posters about that!

one thing that antidepressants do do (and there's an fda warning about it for not giving them to children or adolescents) is they can cause violent bouts of anger- and they were implicated in the Columbine shootings.

The other thing which I see a lot is abuse of prescription drugs especially ritalin and adderall and other stimulants.  People who took them told me it was hard to get off of them and the side effects were worse than the treatment.

They can be habit forming but not classically addicitve, you can feel down or miserable when you stop them, you can have strange sensations even; anti anxiety meds, for the most part, are addictive. Unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

They can be habit forming but not classically addicitve, you can feel down or miserable when you stop them, you can have strange sensations even; anti anxiety meds, for the most part, are addictive. Unfortunately.

that sounds like what I heard about fast food.  the pulitzer prize winner for the NY Times Michael Moss, wrote about how the fast food industry employs chemists to come up with additives to put in fast food to do exactly what you described above.

4 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

It's kinda funny the model maps are an exercise in unit futility.  You have temp in Celsius, wind in knots, pressure in hpa, and qpf in inches.

lol I love it- and the only place I use the metric system besides these models is in figuring out what focal length to use when taking pictures

3 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Hey, have any of you guys done a snowfall timelapse before? Maybe @seanick? I'm wondering what interval to use between shots.

oh hey I've been using timelapse in my astrophotography prior to stacking with a free program called DSS (it helps get rid of light pollution) but never thought of using it for snowfall (I just do high speed video.)

are you trying to timelapse the accumulating snow building up like that guy in Monmounth County did with a yard stick in the image to show how much fell (he ultimately got 36" of snow!)

It depends on snowfall rates, if you're getting 4 inch an hour rates I would honestly want to capture every quarter inch at least so maybe set it to take a picture every 3 minutes on your tripod?

5 minutes ago, Paragon said:

oh hey I've been using timelapse in my astrophotography prior to stacking with a free program called DSS (it helps get rid of light pollution) but never thought of using it for snowfall (I just do high speed video.)

are you trying to timelapse the accumulating snow building up like that guy in Monmounth County did with a yard stick in the image to show how much fell (he ultimately got 36" of snow!)

It depends on snowfall rates, if you're getting 4 inch an hour rates I would honestly want to capture every quarter inch at least so maybe set it to take a picture every 3 minutes on your tripod?

I do astrophotography too. Agreed, depends on the snowfall rates. 

Storms of this magnitude really bring out the true colors of our posters...

It's almost as if some of them need to see their pessimism typed out as a means of keeping their inner weenie hopes guarded. Or is it as simple as trolling the forum to have their fears overcome by more based analysis than they can muster.

I cant imagine how brutal this place will be tomorrow if someone in lower Manhattan hears a ping against their window.

Just now, ForestHillWx said:

Storms of this magnitude really bring out the true colors of our posters...

It's almost as if some of them need to see their pessimism typed out as a means of keeping their inner weenie hopes guarded. Or is it as simple as trolling the forum to have their fears overcome by more based analysis than they can muster.

I cant imagine how brutal this place will be tomorrow if someone in lower Manhattan hears a ping against their window.

We shall take no prisoners.

Just now, seanick said:

Are you doing it at home with a constant power source or swapping batteries instead? Always curious at what other people do during these snow storms.

I don't have an AC adapter so I'll have to swap out batteries. I haven't done much timelapse work, except for astrophotography like you guys mentioned, so it'll probably end up pretty lousy. Just figured it'd be cool to documented the storm if I really do end up with 2 feet or something.

Archived