Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter Thread

BxEngine

22 minutes ago, North and West of Town said:

My favorite days aren't always the storms themselves (they're great in their own way, of course), but the day before in anticipation! I always find it tough to focus on deadlines at my desk!

I think this is why I've always preferred Christmas Eve over Christmas Day.

Yes the tracking is actually better than the storm for me too, unless it's a real HECS.  But then the downer comes as soon as it's over.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, North and West of Town said:

Yup. I was in the Bahamas last week on a Disney Cruise. I wouldn't mind having it be Spring and 75 again by month's end.

Indeed, I was having work done on my house which has come grinding to a halt lol, I told them to take the next two weeks off.

Based on all of the guidance through the 12z ECMWF, it appears that a pretty special March snowstorm remains on track for much of the New York Metropolitan Area.

Some benchmarks for reference:

Last NYC March snowfall of 10” or more: March 13-14, 1993: 10.6”
Last NYC March snowfall of 12” or more: March 3-4, 1960: 14.5”
Last NYC March snowfall of 18” or more: March 7-8, 1941: 18.1”

Even considering the warmer guidance, I believe this storm will produce more than 10” at Central Park. My thinking right now is as follows:

Suffolk County: 6”-12”

Nassau County: 8”-14”

Fairfield County, Hudson County, New York City (5 boroughs), Southern Westchester County: 10”-16”

Bergen, Essex, and Northern Westchester Counties: 14”-20”

Dutchess, Orange, Rockland, and Warren Counties: 18”-27” (localized amounts approaching 30”)

Select Cities:
Bridgeport: 13” (Minimum amount: 8”)
Islip: 10” (Minimum amount: 4”)
Monticello: 22” (Minimum amount: 16”)
New York City (NYC): 14” (Minimum amount: 8”)
Newark: 15” (Minimum amount: 8”)
Poughkeepsie: 20” (Minimum amount: 15”)
White Plains: 16” (Minimum amount: 11”)

*-Minimum amount = < 20% chance of occurrence

17 minutes ago, ForestHillWx said:

North and West, I've read some of your posts; your near MMU right? I'm 10 miles west of MMU. I think we are in the driver's seat with this monster.

Should be fun.

Yup! Whippany overlooking MMU. About 3/4 mile from the runway as the crow flies; 200' higher in elevation than the airport as you go up from the valley/swamp. I drive past the airport to go to Trader Joe's and Nonna's in Florham Park all the time.  

2 minutes ago, North and West of Town said:

I guesstimated about 25" or so from last January; Morris Plains claims to have gotten 33", but I'm not certain. (I know, I know about town to town differences in accumulation and banding)

Wondering if we can beat last year tomorrow.

It's really weird how there was a straight latitudinal line of 30"+ snows from Allentown to Morris Plains to Jackson Heights to JFK to Oceanside to Hicksville.  North of I-80 not much, south of I-78 mixing

5 minutes ago, Paragon said:

It's really weird how there was a straight latitudinal line of 30"+ snows from Allentown to Morris Plains to Jackson Heights to JFK to Oceanside to Hicksville.  North of I-80 not much, south of I-78 mixing

Yea... Don't worry; I enjoyed last year a lot. Most I've seen around me since 1996. 12/30/00 is still my favorite solely due to the intensity, and PDII and 2/17/06 had some nice, beautiful snow. 

Just surprised at the 30"+ nearby.

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Agreed, and given that we know this with a high degree of confidence, why not give folks time to prepare? It bugs me out when I hear people caterwauling about the way things "used to be" and how we're being too soft etc. etc.

To hard and you have a repeat of 78 on the mass pike and 13 on the LIE. With cars stuck and lives in danger. The rates during the peak will rival those storms. Not to mention having cars on the road totally screws up any snow removal attempts 

8 minutes ago, Breene said:

Here we go we are about to learn 75 different theories on why the nam is wrong and a horrible model unlike yesterday when it was described as "has been on a roll"  

48 posts and have the forum down. Interesting.

6 minutes ago, Breene said:

Here we go we are about to learn 75 different theories on why the nam is wrong and a horrible model unlike yesterday when it was described as "has been on a roll"  

Well I'll tell ya, to have been looking at the back and forth with everyone calling for at least a foot to end up with a sleet storm is a real kick in the pants for the city and most of NJ. So I hope its wrong, because when sleet takes over, we usually don't do well outside of northern areas. Now normally I would expect that at this time of year, heck anytime, but this is gonna hurt. 

28 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

To hard and you have a repeat of 78 on the mass pike and 13 on the LIE. With cars stuck and lives in danger. The rates during the peak will rival those storms. Not to mention having cars on the road totally screws up any snow removal attempts 

to be honest, there is some sense of spoiled brat syndrome going on in today's society.  Did you see them rest all the players on Saturday's NBA game?  I heard they are going to start fining players for missing games- it happens in baseball too (injuries are way up too).

1 hour ago, North and West of Town said:

Yea... Don't worry; I enjoyed last year a lot. Most I've seen around me since 1996. 12/30/00 is still my favorite solely due to the intensity, and PDII and 2/17/06 had some nice, beautiful snow. 

Just surprised at the 30"+ nearby.

yes some of my alltime favorites, I would toss Boxing Day in there too, also Feb 1983 and April 1982, but those were a long time ago lol

3 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Agreed, and given that we know this with a high degree of confidence, why not give folks time to prepare? It bugs me out when I hear people caterwauling about the way things "used to be" and how we're being too soft etc. etc.

I forgot to add that obesity rates are way up- poorer nutrition and the commonality of trash food accounts for that, although there is some pushback now with people consuming more bottled water than soda for the first time.

2 minutes ago, Paragon said:

I forgot to add that obesity rates are way up- poorer nutrition and the commonality of trash food accounts for that, although there is some pushback now with people consuming more bottled water than soda for the first time.

Too many snow days because of obesity rates? Ya lost me on that one...

2 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Too many snow days because of obesity rates? Ya lost me on that one...

haha no, more like the food people eat (high in sugar, high in salt, high in fat, etc.)  The American Heart Association and American Cancer Society both have warnings on their pages for limiting the consumption of processed food and red meat.

11 minutes ago, Paragon said:

One of the great captures of corporate America....getting people to pay for bottled water, something that would have caused laughter when I was a kid.....heck even in most of the 80's....and a lot of the bottled water comes from municipal sources to boot!

9 minutes ago, Paragon said:

haha no, more like the food people eat (high in sugar, high in salt, high in fat, etc.)  The American Heart Association and American Cancer Society both have warnings on their pages for limiting the consumption of processed food and red meat.

You could catch your own fish, but then, they are so contaminated you're better off eating bologna....a major contributor to all these issues is stress.

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

One of the great captures of corporate America....getting people to pay for bottled water, something that would have caused laughter when I was a kid.....heck even in most of the 80's....and a lot of the bottled water comes from municipal sources to boot!

Yep I actually installed a filter on my water, it's better for the environment too (no plastic!) Our tap water isn't all that great, they've found pesticides and other stuff in it and the water improved noticeably after I placed the filter.  But there is no need for bottled water- or soda for that matter.

Just now, weatherpruf said:

You could catch your own fish, but then, they are so contaminated you're better off eating bologna....a major contributor to all these issues is stress.

Yes stress also causes people to take sleeping pills, antidepressants, etc- and then you get dependency.

Just now, Paragon said:

Yep I actually installed a filter on my water, it's better for the environment too (no plastic!) Our tap water isn't all that great, they've found pesticides and other stuff in it and the water improved noticeably after I placed the filter.  But there is no need for bottled water- or soda for that matter.

At least they test your tap water. Can't say for sure what's in the bottle....

Archived