SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter Thread

BxEngine

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and his site includes the actual formula for the kuchera ratio. it's just a temperature equation. no consideration is paid to temps in the level where snow is being produced

http://www.wxcaster.com/gfssnow.txt

0.5 degree isobaric GFS GRIB data from NCEP. 
The snowfall accumulation algorithm used on these charts is as follows:
1) Find the maximum temperature in the lowest 500 hPa in degrees K (MAXTMP)
2) If MAXTMP is greater than 271.16K, then the liquid equivalent ratio (RATIO) is 12.0 + 2.0*(271.16-MAXTMP)
3) If MAXTMP is less than 271.16K, then the liquid equivalent ratio (RATIO) is 12.0 + (271.16-MAXTMP)
The 3-hourly snowfall (SNOW) is RATIO multiplied by the three hour liquid precipitation total. The accumulated snowfall (ACCUM_SNOW) is the sum of all the SNOW values up to that projection time.

14 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

ryan maue purposely coded the maps to show sleet as snow so he'd get more money from dumb snow weenies. full stop.

Wx bell maps in general strongly favor form over function. For how showy and colorful they are, the upper air charts are so hard to read to the point of near uselessness. It's sort of a shame... Maue has a lot of useful products and graphics, but they desperately need to be simplified and de-weenied.

Found a better picture of the 2014 Nor'easter Bomb that missed the CONUS off my computer. I made sure to save it once it was posted to Masters' blog a few years back. What a beaut. 

JxDQfsM.jpg

And here's another I just found off Google. 

GOES-13_March_26,_2014_nor'easter_enhanc

9 minutes ago, WaPo said:

Found a better picture of the 2014 Nor'easter Bomb that missed the CONUS off my computer. I made sure to save it once it was posted to Masters' blog a few years back. What a beaut. 

JxDQfsM.jpg

And here's another I just found off Google. 

GOES-13_March_26,_2014_nor'easter_enhanc

I think I shed a few tears over what could've been as I waved goodbye to its cirrus deck on the boardwalk. 

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

I think I shed a few tears over what could've been as I waved goodbye to its cirrus deck on the boardwalk. 

That one was a true heartbreaker.  The indefatigable beast of a deform band a few days later that surprised me with 6" of fresh snow was a nice little consolation prize though.  And it all came on the heels of one of my favorite tri-state winters of my life.  No big snowstorm, but what felt like continuous arctic cold and SECS/MECS.

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

The key to figuring the Saturday "storm" out is going with the model that gives one the most snow. OBVIOUSLY....

You're literally the only person on this entire board looking to the weekend potential with anything beyond piqued interest. The overwhelming sentiment has been "this looks fickle, but we'll keep an eye on it." 

4 hours ago, snowman19 said:

The key to figuring the Saturday "storm" out is going with the model that gives one the most snow. OBVIOUSLY....

And then raising the amount by the power of the number of inches shown. So 6" really means 6^6" = 46656". And where you see green on the map, that's the number of weenie tears being shed in a 1 hr period. 

Archived