Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter Thread

BxEngine

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, weatherpruf said:

It's really not that easy lawyers want the easy payday....the doc who cut off the wrong leg because he was smoking ganja for example. Makes a blown forecast seem tame.

the thing is though that doctors pay a fortune in malpractice insurance.

there are a lot of horrible doctors out there on a power trip, but a lot of great ones too who stand up for you.  I know of a few at Mt Sinai who stood up to the drug industry for overpricing lifesaving medication and the industry tried to bribe them and they went right to the media, and then the drug company cut the price of the cancer drug in half.

4 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

It's really not that easy lawyers want the easy payday....the doc who cut off the wrong leg because he was smoking ganja for example. Makes a blown forecast seem tame.

ha that reminds me of the prince from another country who came here because his son needed a brain tumor removed.  So the doctor started the surgery but then saw it was lunchtime and decided to leave the guy there with his head open to take a lunch break.  Came back after lunch and looked at the guy's xrays to find the tumor but was holding the image upside down, and accidentally operated on the wrong hemisphere of the brain and left the poor boy a vegetable......

Just now, Paragon said:

the thing is though that doctors pay a fortune in malpractice insurance.

there are a lot of horrible doctors out there on a power trip, but a lot of great ones too who stand up for you.  I know of a few at Mt Sinai who stood up to the drug industry for overpricing lifesaving medication and the industry tried to bribe them and they went right to the media, and then the drug company cut the price of the cancer drug in half.

Lawyers don't care if the doctor is horrible or good, just if they can build a case. Some of the best docs have poorer outcomes because they take on the worst cases. I have nearly been killed twice in a year by doctor errors. This last summer I was lucky to survive. Docs were all patting themselves on the back for saving me from a condition they caused. Im in NJ and if you want good treatment for something serious you go to NYC or Philly.

2 minutes ago, Paragon said:

ha that reminds me of the prince from another country who came here because his son needed a brain tumor removed.  So the doctor started the surgery but then saw it was lunchtime and decided to leave the guy there with his head open to take a lunch break.  Came back after lunch and looked at the guy's xrays to find the tumor but was holding the image upside down, and accidentally operated on the wrong hemisphere of the brain and left the poor boy a vegetable......

I think that was at Columbia Pres

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

Lawyers don't care if the doctor is horrible or good, just if they can build a case. Some of the best docs have poorer outcomes because they take on the worst cases. I have nearly been killed twice in a year by doctor errors. This last summer I was lucky to survive. Docs were all patting themselves on the back for saving me from a condition they caused. Im in NJ and if you want good treatment for something serious you go to NYC or Philly.

thats horrendous :( I have had family members who got sicker at the hospital than they ever were at home because they caught hospital infections which are resistant to antibiotics (which we overuse), the saying in my family is, "If you go to the hospital, you go to die"- and that has worked out more often than not.

Just now, Paragon said:

oh you remember it! it was big news

It was an antibiotic that nearly killed me the first time...sulfa drug. This class of antibiotic can cause some serious damage to your organs. The ER in GA missed it. ANd you can't sue an ER in GA for any reason. And it shows. Tort reform in action.

15 minutes ago, Paragon said:

thats horrendous :( I have had family members who got sicker at the hospital than they ever were at home because they caught hospital infections which are resistant to antibiotics (which we overuse), the saying in my family is, "If you go to the hospital, you go to die"- and that has worked out more often than not.

1 minute ago, weatherpruf said:

It was an antibiotic that nearly killed me the first time...sulfa drug. This class of antibiotic can cause some serious damage to your organs. The ER in GA missed it. ANd you can't sue an ER in GA for any reason. And it shows. Tort reform in action.

It's exactly why I stay away from meat from conventional farms.  Overusing antibiotics and hormones and bad treatment of animals. 

thats horrendous  I have had family members who got sicker at the hospital than they ever were at home because they caught hospital infections which are resistant to antibiotics (which we overuse), the saying in my family is, "If you go to the hospital, you go to die"- and that has worked out more often than not.

My grandfather used to say, "Hospitals aren't for sick people."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

my father had an allergy to sulfa drugs, know it well :(

Just posted this in the Obs. thread:

Finished up around a foot at MMU, but that's just me eyeballing it being a dad now. And it's COLD. And it's to remain cold for a few days afterwards! 

SN+ in the daylight hours (had about 6" or so in 90 minutes, from 7:45 to 9:15), followed by heavy, wind-driven sleet, coupled with impassable roads... that's pretty amazing for mid-March. The main roads here in Morris County are still frozen, despite excellent and efficient public works departments by the counties and townships

I come in peace. This was certainly a challenging system for the board. During my 20 years of posting (under different name) I always found post event analyses to be poor. Below I posted one of the afternoon SREF's from PSU e-wall. I have lived and died by these images in the past. Interestingly, the SREF's consistently showed that the I-95 was going to have mixing issues. I think we have really gotten away from utilizing our best tools.

IMG_0599.GIF

Worst bust since January 5, 2001?  At least this forecast was revised as early as last night.  In 2001 forecasters were still calling for the snow storm even thought it had already passed!

I love snow, hate heat, but sigh, bring on Spring. Too painful, even though I figured as early as yesterday afternoon that sleet was going to mix in, hopeful that I was wrong.  Didn't measure, didn't watch the storm, stayed in bed until 9:30 AM when I heard pinging as early as 7:15 AM.

1 hour ago, North and West of Town said:

Only issue with 90+ is that it can get uncomfortable, fast. I took my oldest to a Mets game last July when it was 95 in Queens. Great win, a bit too hot.

53 minutes ago, NortheastPAWx said:

Me too, though I'd rather they hold off until after the school year. I'll take 70s and even an 80 in the meantime.

I like them with very low humidity.  I remember how many people were shocked with our heatwaves back in 2010 and 2011 when it was over 100 but the humidity was so low that it actually felt comfortable.  We had a downsloping NW wind and the humidity was around 20%

8 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

Worst bust since January 5, 2001?  At least this forecast was revised as early as last night.  In 2001 forecasters were still calling for the snow storm even thought it had already passed!

I love snow, hate heat, but sigh, bring on Spring. Too painful, even though I figured as early as yesterday afternoon that sleet was going to mix in, hopeful that I was wrong.  Didn't measure, didn't watch the storm, stayed in bed until 9:30 AM when I heard pinging as early as 7:15 AM.

That bust wasn't in January was it?

You either mean March 2001 or January 2008 lol

Archived