• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
KBOS and Boston

TalcottWx

I just wanted to bring this up for a variety of reasons.

Why no balloon launches or official spotter at Logan? It's top 20 busiest in the United States. It's a major metro area.

It's 2017 and we're relying on a mystery figure living in Winthrop to record Boston's snow totals? The guy is consistently off too. 

You'd think a major airport like BOS would get more attention. Or at least a more reliable spotter.

Also, what are the chances we ever change or add a site on the common or somewhere just inland away from the airport?

The airport itself has no real incentive to get accurate snowfall totals...they just want accurate weather conditions for aviation. So it's left up to the NWS. Winthrop is really close just across the water there. It's possible the location of the measurement could change if the Winthrop spotter stops.

Absolutely deplorable how that is handled. I can't believe a random person (as far as I know) is responsible for the official historical reporting for the city.

I think the sight of official measurement should be at the Common, not the airport. And I do think someone with, how do I say this, better credentials, should be measuring for it.

At the end of the day I guess it doesn't really matter to anyone but the BOS weenies, but it irks me every time there's an underdone or incomplete measurement from the Winthrop site. 

Archived