Newest Member
    joxey
March 13/14th PSU Storm

stormtracker

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Those upper lows always have to be watched. It even tries to pop another surface feature this run. That isn't shocking. It's a darn good h5 pass. If the atmosphere wasn't so used up at that point it probably would have popped a good storm there Tuesday night. 

There have hints of this a few times. I have a memory in Richmond growing up when we had a Miller B miss but 6" from the upper low that the forecasters missed 

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

Wait a minute...Has the duration changed with this storm? (I'm looking at the projected totals, lol) Are we talking about a late Monday night to late Tuesday night?

The GFS rolls a couple of inches through Tuesday night with the Upper Level low.  But I think it will be pretty much done by 3:00 PM.  The cool thing about that is that if we get a foot of snow.. the kids will definitely have off Tues and Wed.   

Don't think I noticed this before.  While the RGEM only goes out 48 hours, if you click on the meteogram, it extends out 84 hours.  Is it a combination of the mesoscale & global models? Anyway, the 3/12 00z update indicates about 36 mm of qpf, or 1.4 inches at DCA.  Most of it is snow, though a minor portion is light rain at the start (presumably until the precip is steady enough to cool the column) and perhaps a little freezing rain mixing in (surface cools enough but an intrusion of warmer air at about 850).  

CMC Meteogram.png

Wait a minute...Has the duration changed with this storm? (I'm looking at the projected totals, lol) Are we talking about a late Monday night to late Tuesday night?

No, snow breaks out around 8pm or so depending on the model.  The good stuff happens overnight (which is great in March) and most have it ending in the morning...rates look to be pretty crazy overnight.  Maybe some additional snow Tuesday evening as the ULL pulls through.  It won't be a 24 hour event.

It has potential for a 1-2 (surface low then upper low) but it's unlikely the upper low will do much. Gfs was the best so far and it was in the .1-.3 range for mostly just MD. 

However, the appeal of the upper low dropping some snow will be pretty nice if we get dumped on first. Upper level lows usually drop those big fluffy high ratio dendrites because it's really cold aloft and instability driven snow it usually dry and fluffy. 

3 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

This was always a Monday night storm that ended near sunrise Tuesday. A few rogue runs extended it longer, but it's probably not happening.

Just now, nj2va said:

No, snow breaks out around 8pm or so depending on the model.  The good stuff happens overnight (which is great in March) and most have it ending in the morning...rates look to be pretty crazy overnight.  Maybe some additional snow Tuesday evening as the ULL pulls through.  It won't be a 24 hour event.

So you're telling me all that's projected can fall in like 10-12 hours???

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

These model runs remind me a little bit of last years blizzard when they just kept getting crazier the closer to the event we got. Obviously the QPF and Accum numbers arent as outrageous. But the lead up feels similar to me.

Some locations could exceed what fell in the blizzard last year though. DC needs only what, 17"?

12 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Those upper lows always have to be watched. It even tries to pop another surface feature this run. That isn't shocking. It's a darn good h5 pass. If the atmosphere wasn't so used up at that point it probably would have popped a good storm there Tuesday night. 

Mood snows as we shovel.

Perfect.

Nice runs tonight.  Hoping we can seal the deal tomorrow.

Nut

8 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

ICON is another nuke. A good bit of precip before this too. Icon is a half decent short range model from what I've seen so far. It's not very jumpy and has been pretty consistent with this storm run over run. 

It was pretty consistent with another storm earlier in the year too.  The 00z run is the juiced up brother of its 18z run.

R8fnAbI.png

1 minute ago, RidingTheModelWithMostSnow said:

more realistic 

snod.us_ma.png

That snow depth map makes little sense... temperatures are below freezing the entire time. Sure, not 23" but if we get 2" of QPF with a temperature depiction like the Canadian its not going to be 10" snow depth.

Just now, snjókoma said:

That snow depth map makes little sense... temperatures are below freezing the entire time. Sure, not 23" but if we get 2" of QPF with a temperature depiction like the Canadian its not going to be 10" snow depth.

Plus it's at night after a cold two days.

30 minutes ago, Amped said:

Look at the surface winds.    They go back to east ahead of the second low and there is up slope in the Catoctins., especially near the PA border.   Best of all, some of it falls after sundown Tuesday.

Those are the kinds of things I can pick up a nice surprise 3" from easy up here. Bonus if it happens. 

Archived