Newest Member
    joxey
March 13/14th PSU Storm

stormtracker

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Yeah, east but warmer lol. Can't make this stuff up. 

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's because of the interaction with the NS low.  In the 00z run, the NS low doesn't transfer to the coastal as quickly.  This leads to a weaker coastal with a more eastern track, and the stronger NS low does more damage to the mid-levels.

BqoM2G8.gif

16 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

Both RGEM and GFS have eastern Gulf of Mexico low appearing just before phasing, could be a sign that models have not quite gone all the way to the right solution yet which might be a more intense solution -- and that would keep the thermal ribbon very tight. With luck it would be tight from 25s DCA to 25se BWI. 

There's a big glob of energy waiting to be drawn into the eventual storm in the central Gulf. Oil rig reports suggest a slowly developing center near 27N 91W, that's probably the "real" storm rather than anything east of Florida to SC at present, however, all that comes along for the ride too. I would speculate that this may end up trying to duplicate the 1993 storm at the last minute and center could be as deep as 965 mbs.

Whaaaa? Touche'!

23 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

Both RGEM and GFS have eastern Gulf of Mexico low appearing just before phasing, could be a sign that models have not quite gone all the way to the right solution yet which might be a more intense solution -- and that would keep the thermal ribbon very tight. With luck it would be tight from 25s DCA to 25se BWI. 

There's a big glob of energy waiting to be drawn into the eventual storm in the central Gulf. Oil rig reports suggest a slowly developing center near 27N 91W, that's probably the "real" storm rather than anything east of Florida to SC at present, however, all that comes along for the ride too. I would speculate that this may end up trying to duplicate the 1993 storm at the last minute and center could be as deep as 965 mbs.

Would it deepen early enough for the D.C. Area to get some of the good snow if this scenario were to play out?

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I guess if you want to look at the bright side of the ukie...we would most likely get some wraparound with that track. 

Sure do

http://meteocentre.com/numerical-weather-prediction/map-explorer.php?lang=en&map=na&run=00&mod=ukmet&stn=PNMPR&comp=1&run2=00&mod2=ukmet&stn2=PNMPR&hh2=048&fixhh=1&stn2_type=prog&mode=latest&yyyy=latest&mm=latest&dd=latest&hh=042

I could envision the ukie going like this...waa snows until we lose the midlevels...then a driving sleet storm before the wind and rain unleash...maybe some thunder and lightning...then winds howl out of the north and cold rain turns to heavy snow before it shuts off but the wind keeps howling into tues night with flurries/squalls...lol

2 minutes ago, cae said:

I think the Ukie would be an I95 rain storm.

How is it a rainstorm with a similar track (at our latitude) and similar pressures to the GFS, while the GFS is a snowstorm? Maybe there are other factors, though the UKIE doesn't give a whole lot of info...

1 minute ago, Fozz said:

How is it a rainstorm with a similar track (at our latitude) and similar pressures to the GFS, while the GFS is a snowstorm? Maybe there are other factors, though the UKIE doesn't give a whole lot of info...

I edited my post above and added a 2m temp map.

Archived