March 13/14th PSU Storm

stormtracker

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ji said:

Whoever keeps saying they will be happy with sleet is in bs mode

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yeah considering the storm just barely northeast of us, I think this is rather depressing, but I think many may be just in denial and trying to spin it into a positive. I'm still holding out hope for a surprise, but know it's highly unlikely. You could see on the last frame of the HRRR animated map that it was starting to pivot with ice still on 95, so it looks like we should avoid rain.

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

My expectations are usually low honestly. QPF after the low is north of our latitude is notorious for being overdone. This particular case is fairly energetic with some twists and turns so the potential is there. Northern tier looks good though but they never flip so they have the best of both worlds. My total guess is maybe 2-3" for my yard after the sandstorm lets up. 

Wish you well there, and I agree,  the dynamics and the gradients are pretty crazy. There may be some positive improvemts at the last minutes, or it could go the other way. 

Attempting to be positive. 

We can look back and see how the various short range models did, as it will be an interesitng storm to follow for sure.    

5 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

Sounds like a dedicated rationalizations thread is overdue.

Maybe for some. I've posted at least once every day for the last 3-4 at least that I fully expected to mix. And it became more obvious every day on guidance. It's a classic mixed precip mid march storm that favors the typical folks in favored spots. 

6 hours ago, DCTeacherman said:
20 minutes ago, Ji said:

Whoever keeps saying they will be happy with sleet is in bs mode

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Nobody is happy with hit.  Nobody wants it, but when it's all you got..

I'll take it over cold rain any day and especially this winter

1 minute ago, MN Transplant said:

Still a sleet bomb, but the 18z HRRR is cooler at the surface near DC.  Also shows the precip "fighting back" a bit on the sleet line early on. 

The front end is better as well... .5" contour tickles DC to the south as we switch to sleet.

3 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Still a sleet bomb, but the 18z HRRR is cooler at the surface near DC.  Also shows the precip "fighting back" a bit on the sleet line early on. 

It's been trending wetter pre-flip too. But that's really just catching up to other guidance and not groundbreaking. And agree that the sleet line seems to be meeting more resistance. We'll know a lot more in about 6 hours or so though. For all we know the flip line moved forward in time on guidance as we go through the evening. 

9 hours ago, leesburg 04 said:

At this point I'm rooting for a sleet bomb here like what the nam is showing...avoiding rain is my bar now

The sleet is my fault guys, sorry....I posted this 9 hours ago and then it trended towards it.

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

It's been trending wetter pre-flip too. But that's really just catching up to other guidance and not groundbreaking. And agree that the sleet line seems to be meeting more resistance. We'll know a lot more in about 6 hours or so though. For all we know the flip line moved forward in time on guidance as we go through the evening. 

The surface low has been trending east as well.  15-20 miles will make tons of difference to those on the line.  

Archived