Newest Member
    joxey
March 13/14th PSU Storm

stormtracker

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

I dont have QPF. But for DC 2-3 hours snow. 8-9 hours mix. 1 Hour of snow.

How's the rgem been on mid levels this year? Doesn't it have a bias towards warm columns versus most other guidance??

I recall something about it doesn't handle the effects of dynamic cooling... Which this event should certainly have some decent dynamics working for us

Just now, PhineasC said:

RGEM looks really good for the northern MD counties. Mix line runs more E/W than N/S.

I was just going to say, it looks a lot better for those of us north of Baltimore. Still several hours of sleet at the height of the storm, but double digit totals look likely.

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I wish I had 925's for the RGEM. It has the potential to be the biggest sleet storm in history. 

CMC precip type maps definitely suggest  lots of sleet for almost the whole subforum. Even FZRA for D.C. But got to like the WAA heavy snow band moving over us.

I think these ZR predictions will be overdone and in reality it'll be mostly Snow/Sleet but IF the ZR ends up being true, and we get upward of 0.5" ZR after the front end wet snow then the tree damage and power outages would likely be pretty severe.

7 minutes ago, packfan98 said:

The 12z RGEM really beefed up precip compared to 6z.  I'll also post the "Freezing Rain" map so you can see how much might be a mix for your area.

precip

qpf_acc.us_ma.png

"Freezing Rain"

zr_acc.us_ma.png

It would help if they had a sleet map as well, because a lot of us who are north of the zr zones will be getting pinged for hours.

In digging for the answer to the "how does sleet accumulate per QPF" question, which I couldn't find, I did find this really great and lengthy pdf by Wes Junker.

http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/research/snow2a/snow2a.pdf

It's technical but totally relevant for this storm - how to forecast snowfall, water equivalent, pick out sleet and freezing rain, etc.

Archived