Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 13/14th PSU Storm

stormtracker

1 minute ago, osfan24 said:

GFS Kuchera isn't nearly as good. Also looks to me like the snow really doesn't explode until it gets to Philly and Jersey, and the heaviest period of snow doesn't last very long. It does look like we get some flurries or very light snow for quite a long period after it rolls by to keep it wintry.

? its almost exactly the same to 18z with precipitation?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sw of DC the qpf is much lower as the coastal bombs too late. 

I think you will see this continue to trend southwest... is it ever going to make it past CHO for decent snows... probably not, but this really is starting to look like a DC-BOS special to me. Very classic Miller B but 200 miles south of where they usually end up.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

All snow no mixing. I'll trust the GFS over the NAM in this setup anyday, esp with agreement from Euro.

As much as I'd like to hug the GFS, I think someone posted earlier in this thread about what happend in the SE states earlier this year.  Places near the rain/snow boundary got a lot less snow than the GFS and Euro were showing.  The mesoscale models, especially the NAM (if I remember correctly), were more accurate.  A lot of posters down there came away with a distrust of the globals in these situations.  It won't necessarily play out the same way for us, but it's hard to dismiss the mesoscale models when mixing is a concern.

Here are the last 3 runs of the GFS with Kuchera ratios.

uzYb8Y6.gif

3 minutes ago, vinylfreak89 said:

I think you will see this continue to trend southwest... is it ever going to make it past CHO for decent snows... probably not, but this really is starting to look like a DC-BOS special to me. Very classic Miller B but 200 miles south of where they usually end up.

I see the opposite. Yes, Miller B, and because of that the fear of losing the greatest precip to the north once the coastal consolidates. 

I see the opposite. Yes, Miller B, and because of that the fear of losing the greatest precip to the north once the coastal consolidates. 

Except the h5 continues to trend southwest. This is where ignoring the snow maps and paying attention to the synoptics will help you greatly. The trend has been towards more consolidation further south and west... it's just not all the way there yet. Based on the current rate of trend, I think DC and maybe NOVA is the absolute furthest SW the jackpot totals can get. CVA and especially SW VA will be on the outside looking in sadly.

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

I didn't think it was an awful run. SLP ticks east (thought that looks like noise) and we don't get torched. Wish it weren't warmer, but hell, this could have been a lot worse given the "trend" today. 

SLP is actually east of 12z but still a warmer solution. My yard probably survives with mostly snow and a mini sandstorm. Walking the line is never easy.lol

Both RGEM and GFS have eastern Gulf of Mexico low appearing just before phasing, could be a sign that models have not quite gone all the way to the right solution yet which might be a more intense solution -- and that would keep the thermal ribbon very tight. With luck it would be tight from 25s DCA to 25se BWI. 

There's a big glob of energy waiting to be drawn into the eventual storm in the central Gulf. Oil rig reports suggest a slowly developing center near 27N 91W, that's probably the "real" storm rather than anything east of Florida to SC at present, however, all that comes along for the ride too. I would speculate that this may end up trying to duplicate the 1993 storm at the last minute and center could be as deep as 965 mbs.

1 minute ago, Roger Smith said:

Both RGEM and GFS have eastern Gulf of Mexico low appearing just before phasing, could be a sign that models have not quite gone all the way to the right solution yet which might be a more intense solution -- and that would keep the thermal ribbon very tight. With luck it would be tight from 25s DCA to 25se BWI. 

There's a big glob of energy waiting to be drawn into the eventual storm in the central Gulf. Oil rig reports suggest a slowly developing center near 27N 91W, that's probably the "real" storm rather than anything east of Florida to SC at present, however, all that comes along for the ride too. I would speculate that this may end up trying to duplicate the 1993 storm at the last minute and center could be as deep as 965 mbs.

93'? Oh Roger, now you've done it.  Lol

Archived