joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13/14th PSU Storm

stormtracker

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm seeing some healthy snowfall maps being posted from the 12 km NAM para, but there are two critical points:

1)   They include sleet, and the ptype maps show a lot of sleet

2)    If the model has 1" of liquid with 50% raindrops and 50% mangled flakes, which would never accumulate in the real world, the algorithms (with a 10:1 ratio) give 5" of snow

Both factors are making those totals look WAY better than they are....    But as has been noted, the synoptic evolution of this run still looks a bit wonky.....

edit:   I think that some of the same is happening with the 3km NAM snow maps, more due to factor #1 above

Just now, stormtracker said:

This is what I'm hoping and I'm not sure why I'm letting it spook me..if this was outside of 36, I'd lol at it and not even discuss it...but supposedly we're in it's "wheelhouse" :rolleyes:  High risk added a little comfort is saying the para seems to be better

The para 12k looks much more like the ops and a realistic outcome with ptype fields and such. Seems like a much more in line solution across all other guidance. The old nam is completely alone with its depiction. It's not unreasonable to toss the outlier and go with consensus. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

The para 12k looks much more like the ops and a realistic outcome with ptype fields and such. Seems like a much more in line solution across all other guidance. The old nam is completely alone with its depiction. It's not unreasonable to toss the outlier and go with consensus. 

Someone with wxbell should compare the 3k and 12k paras

The NAM has become an annoying model because there are 4332908098 different versions and they all seem to have different final outcomes. However, to completely dismiss it at this point would be silly. We are 24 hours out from the start of the storm. It's coming into its range, if it has one.

1 minute ago, matzacski said:

Does anyone have an explanation as to why the low on the NAM keeps bouncing east and west? Is that normal or just the NAM being the NAM? See below:

nam4km_ref_frzn_neus_fh31-42.gif

:lol: Valid point to me. Wonky!

4 minutes ago, matzacski said:

Does anyone have an explanation as to why the low on the NAM keeps bouncing east and west? Is that normal or just the NAM being the NAM? See below:

nam4km_ref_frzn_neus_fh31-42.gif

That's what I was asking about convective feedback issues. 

Earlier this winter, and I can't remember which event,  the Nam and clan were spitting out varios snowfall amounts in the very shory term (as in less than 12 hours) and we saw nothing.  It's always comforting as a weenie to have every model in your corner, but you just can't count on it ever.

Just now, osfan24 said:

Yeah it looks like the low is just off the Outer Banks and then jumps straight north or possibly even slightly NNW, and then starts jumping east and west. That could explain the warm air.

no... the warm air is a result of easterly winds.

1 minute ago, osfan24 said:

Yeah it looks like the low is just off the Outer Banks and then jumps straight north or possibly even slightly NNW, and then starts jumping east and west. That could explain the warm air.

No, what it's showing is very normal during a rapidly deepening low pressure. The center isn't some pretty little circle. The core is very dynamic and there will most certainly be convection firing all around the center. The lowest pressure will jump around inside the core because of this. 

Archived